Issues with new knight ultralight

Hey friends, I've been to the range twice now with my new ultralight. I have shot thor lightning's with 90g of bh209, and no excuse's fitted to my bore with 80g of bh209. At 25 yards, I am not hitting the target consitantly even after taking 15-20 shots. The few times I have hit the target,l(2x2), the hole seems to indicate the bullet hit sideway. I did not take a picture apologies.
I should add I am hunting Co this year and cannot use sabots
I am swabbing in between shots, 1 wet 2 dry. The thor's are very tight going in, the no excuses load hard at first then easy down the rest of the way. Also getting a ton of lead on my patches after shooting the NEs
Do some rifles just hate full bore conicals? Should I just try different bullets? I have borelocs on the way, will order the powerbelt tonight. At a loss over here, have a muzz elk tag this year and I am starting to panic haha
Thank you for any and all help.

OP
F
Nothing so far, I purchased lubed felt wads and they just came in. The guy at NE said they deff could improve accuracy but weren't totally needed. Will it make that much of a difference?

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Without protection from the bullet (sabot or patch) it could be taking out the rifleing. Are you running a patch around bullet?

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use 2f black powder in my 54 knight 100 grains powder 44 cal 260 grain bullet now I use 2f equivalent pyrodex

OP
F
No, no patch around the bullet either, I didnt realize the thor and NE needed a patch

Last edited:

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
My knight is probably 12 to 15 yrs old have not bought a new one since so maybe you can run just bullet down with the newer ones. I pick my muzzle loader pretty much all the time for firearm season in michigan even tho I own shotguns it's very reliable. Do your bullets have a copper case or are they just lead? Can you use power belts in Colorado? They are kind of like a sabot but only at the bottom of bullet

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Screenshot_20200727-203517_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200727-203517_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200727-203455_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200727-203455_Chrome.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 34

UtahJimmy

WKR
Assuming you are shooting a 2'x2' target and you're not hitting/keyholing it at 25 yards, I would think you're getting blowby and inconsistent ramrod pressure. Give the wads a go and see if that improves things. If not, a call to Knight would be next on my list.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe this would help if not using sabot make certain it seats hard and find some kind of solvent that breaks down lead and use a really stiff brush when cleaning

OP
F
Alright I'm going to give the wads a shot and report back to you guys, thank you for the tips
Yes powerbelts are legal in CO, I havent wanted to go that route as I've read some bad reviews on them, also some good.

Last edited:
What grain bullets are you trying.
I have found that my ultra lite like bullets on the lighter end.
I'm shooting the 420 no excuses no patch over 100 grains of pyrodex. And it shoots as good as I would expect.
My Washington legal load is a 275 Sst sabot over 90 grains of BH 209.
Sorry these are not a direct comparison as these are what I came up with for the 2 states I have hunted so far.
With a skirted conical you shouldn't need a patch.
No like they said it may help.
Did you get a bullet sizing pack from no excuses?
Mine was tighter then normal and I'm shooting. .502

OP
F
What grain bullets are you trying.
I have found that my ultra lite like bullets on the lighter end.
I'm shooting the 420 no excuses no patch over 100 grains of pyrodex. And it shoots as good as I would expect.
My Washington legal load is a 275 Sst sabot over 90 grains of BH 209.
Sorry these are not a direct comparison as these are what I came up with for the 2 states I have hunted so far.
With a skirted conical you shouldn't need a patch.
No like they said it may help.
Did you get a bullet sizing pack from no excuses?
Mine was tighter then normal and I'm shooting. .502
I was shooting the 495 grain NE and 300 gr thor's. I did get the bullet size pack, ended up with .501 in thor(loads easy) and .504 in NE(loads hard at first, then slides down the barrel)

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
BH209 Behind a Soft Lead Bullet without protecting the Bullet base with an Over Powder Wad is your Problem, You are burning the Base of the Bullet up, Hence the Barrel Leading you are seeing when Swabbing, and Since the Bullet BASE is what Actually Steers the Bullet, Accuracy would be DESTROYED from the Severe Damage to the Bullet Base (Hence why it appears the Bullet hit your Target Sideways)

With BH209, and Soft Lead Bullets it is EXTREMELY important that you use an Over Powder Wad to Protect the Bullet Base

My first advise is Oxyoke Brand 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wads. 1/8” Wool Felt has been the CRYSTAL CLEAR winner for me. My Second advice is a Hard Card Type Over Powder wad, like Vegetable Fibre .060, LDPE (Low density Poly) .060, and Nitro Cards by Circle Fly at .135 Thick, .510 Diameter
ErtMR9V.jpg

A few pics i took of Over Powder Wads with my Borescope
1/8” Wool Felt (My Choice)
cYJiFxx.png

Nitro Card, Or Vegetable Fibre
v2Kqphe.png

And LDPE (Poly)
V89DRjg.png

OP
F
Awesome, I'll try the ox yokes. I just got some in the mail, ordered last week anticipating problems. I got .50 and .54, I noticed your using the .54 for a .50 cal is that right? Thanks for your help!

ENCORE

WKR
Lewis is correct.

Regardless the bullet you're shooting bullet to bore, ALWAYS use a wad, wool or veggie, when shooting BH209.

Fury bullets are excellent bullets, accurate and devastating on game. The Fury Star Tip MZ is an excellent choice.

Fury is coming out with a NEW bullet shortly for the 50cal shooters very soon. Dennis is working very hard to have the bullet available quickly. I believe testing is just about complete.

OP
F
Interesting, so even for the thor bullets I should add a wad? Even though they have the cupped skirt? Thank you guys again, I'm going to try and hit the range tmrw

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, I'll try the ox yokes. I just got some in the mail, ordered last week anticipating problems. I got .50 and .54, I noticed your using the .54 for a .50 cal is that right? Thanks for your help!

I go back & forth depending on the Particular Bore, and the Bullet i am Shooting?

I use oversize 1/8” Wool Felt quite often in All Calibers. I use both the 50 and 54 Cal 1/8” Wool Felt Wads in my .50s Cal Rifles. But truth is, I can’t tell a Difference in Accuracy between them? The Correct Bore size Wool Felt Wads have shot just as well as the Oversize for me. I have always felt the Extra Seal from the Oversize Felt Wad was a Good thing, it just makes good sense to me, And So far it has NEVER Hurt anything.

The Oversize Wads can be Somewhat of a Pain to Get started Straight, and you DEFINITELY want them to Go down Straight, So take the Time to do so. If they get Turned Sideways, they will Stay that way all the Way down. I have a Method of “Scrunching“ them up to make them fit Easier.