Issues with new knight ultralight

I'll give the rios another shot. I emailed knight a few weeks ago, have not heard anything back. If I have a chance I'll give them a call, I have a 1 year old, so not a ton if time to chat on the phone anymore

I really doubt that the Rios will work in a Knight. European primers are based on metrics and the Knight is designed for an America primers. The European primers are to large in diameter to fit in the primer pocket of the breech plug.

Actually the breech plug is designed for the Winchester W209. It will shoot all powders using a Lehigh/Knight/Bestill breech plug - including BH209.

This is a W209 dropped into primer adapter for a Knight FPJ bolt.

IMG-1221.jpg

I shoot BH209 from this rifle in all weather conditions without a problem using W209's.

Tailgate-Items.jpg

This is a pic of the primers after being shot - really clean and the breech is sealed.

Spent-Primers.jpg

Last edited:

ENCORE

WKR
I'll give the rios another shot. I emailed knight a few weeks ago, have not heard anything back. If I have a chance I'll give them a call, I have a 1 year old, so not a ton if time to chat on the phone anymore

Try this............. Make sure that the rifle is spic and span..... AND 100% DRY. Do not lubricate it, don't even get close to it with lubricants. Make sure you start with an absolute CLEAN AND DRY barrel.

Load it up with your normal charge, sabot-bullet combination, what ever you're shooting. Seat the bullet tight on the propellant.

Fire one (1) round ONLY.

DO NOT SWAB THE BARREL.

Remove the breech plug. Verify that the flash hole is clear. In other words hold it up to the light and you should be able to see through that plug.

Re-install the plug, the use the exact same procedure as the first loading and load the rifle again.

Safely............. charge the rifle with a primer and shoot it. If that flash hole isn't getting plugged by some kind of gunk, there's no reason that rifle won't go off the second time, or any number of times afterward.

OP
F
I really doubt that the Rios will work in a Knight. European primers are based on metrics and the Knight is designed for an America primers. The European primers are to large in diameter to fit in the primer pocket of the breech plug.

Actually the breech plug is designed for the Winchester W209. It will shoot all powders using a Lehigh/Knight/Bestill breech plug - including BH209.

This is a W209 dropped into primer adapter for a Knight FPJ bolt.

IMG-1221.jpg

I shoot BH209 from this rifle in all weather conditions without a problem using W209's.

Tailgate-Items.jpg

This is a pic of the primers after being shot - really clean and the breech is sealed.

Spent-Primers.jpg
Looking at sabotloaders spent primers, I can say mine look nothing like that, I must be getting a ton of blowback. As there are blackend like crazy. I will take a picture next range day. I did shoot with the rios previously, they seemed to run even dirtier then the CCI209m

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Hey lewis so will I still use the plastic jackets with the lehigh? I ordered the adapted with it too for my a rpj bolt. I kinda wanna ditch the plastic jacket setup and just go bare primer. I was sold on the waterproof, but I think it could be contributing to my woes.

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the Plastic Jacket setup, i have shot a Few of them, But I don’t know much about them.

When i bought my Knight Mountaineer, i went Bare Primer. That said, i didn’t even use the Factory Knight Breech Plug That came with my Rifle, I went STRAIGHT to a New Lehigh Plug with Replaceable Vent liners, and i Headspaced it using Regular Blue Box Win 209 Primers

The Headspacing video i showed above is what you MUST do with the New Lehigh Bare primer Breech Plug, It is possible that you could get lucky and Not have to Shim the Plug? But you at least need to Follow those Steps and Check it. If the Bolt handle Drops with NO RESISTANCE Like in the Video, You WILL GET “Blowback”

When you lower the Bolt handle there should be Slight Resistance (slight Primer “Crush”) if you follow the Video i posted, When Setup properly, you will get ZERO “Blowback” your primers will look like these (y)
CfmbFGv.jpg

qWtFqcu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
F
Try this............. Make sure that the rifle is spic and span..... AND 100% DRY. Do not lubricate it, don't even get close to it with lubricants. Make sure you start with an absolute CLEAN AND DRY barrel.

Load it up with your normal charge, sabot-bullet combination, what ever you're shooting. Seat the bullet tight on the propellant.

Fire one (1) round ONLY.

DO NOT SWAB THE BARREL.

Remove the breech plug. Verify that the flash hole is clear. In other words hold it up to the light and you should be able to see through that plug.

Re-install the plug, the use the exact same procedure as the first loading and load the rifle again.

Safely............. charge the rifle with a primer and shoot it. If that flash hole isn't getting plugged by some kind of gunk, there's no reason that rifle won't go off the second time, or any number of times afterward.
These are pics of my breech plug uncleaned from the range. Hard to get a good pic, but i can see through the flash hole, i don't understand how the primers werent igniting the charge.

Attachments

• 20200801_234509.jpg
    20200801_234509.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200801_235705.jpg
    20200801_235705.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 15

ENCORE

WKR
These are pics of my breech plug uncleaned from the range. Hard to get a good pic, but i can see through the flash hole, i don't understand how the primers werent igniting the charge.

That flash hole is clean.
There's something else going on.
Reinstall the plug, DO NOT CLEAN OR SWAB, load the rifle up again and fire it.

OP
F
I had already cleaned it by the time I read this unfortunately, but I used compressed air to blow it out, and I'll let it sit for a day or 2 to fully dry out. Then back to the range

I did attempt to fire it as it was 4 times. Each time I took it out and made sure I could see through the flash hole. After every primer thats fired the plug itself is absolutely filthy, and the primers and jacket are black. I will take pics at next range session, really looking forward to ditching the rpj setup for the lehigh.

ENCORE

WKR
I had already cleaned it by the time I read this unfortunately, but I used compressed air to blow it out, and I'll let it sit for a day or 2 to fully dry out. Then back to the range

I did attempt to fire it as it was 4 times. Each time I took it out and made sure I could see through the flash hole. After every primer thats fired the plug itself is absolutely filthy, and the primers and jacket are black. I will take pics at next range session, really looking forward to ditching the rpj setup for the lehigh.
Just asking, but why are you letting it set a couple days to "dry out"?

OP
F
Just asking, but why are you letting it set a couple days to "dry out"?
Just because you've said your worried I'm adding some kind of moisture or lubricant, I did swab with some solvent, so I figured I'd make sure its really dry before going and trying to shoot again

Trying to be super anal about making sure nothing gets inside there

I do not know if it has been mentioned before - but I think it is really a good thought to pop 2 -3 primers through the breech before loading the first time after cleaning.

Point the muzzle at the ground - 2 - 3 inches from the ground - pop a primer and watch for an indication that the pressure from the muzzle is present. Dust from the ground should move. This is the best way to insure your BP is clear and dry!

Stalker69

WKR
I did not pay attention to all the reply’s, but have you tried a different powder ? It could be the moisture after the first shot messing up your consecutive shot ( s). And that would cause a black sooty issue also.

OP
F
I did not pay attention to all the reply’s, but have you tried a different powder ? It could be the moisture after the first shot messing up your consecutive shot ( s). And that would cause a black sooty issue also.
I've just used the bh209, my understanding is its non-hygroscopic so cant wick up moisture. I have worried about that as it is humid as heck out here

Matt.Davis

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I also own a KNIGHT UL in a .50 that I've built specifically for ID and CO hunting. The load I use is legal in both states but that obviously means I'm not shooting BH209. But it shoots amazing and I wouldn't change a thing.

Everyone has already touched on the importance of the wad in a bullet to powder application. That said, those big lead bullets are a 'low and slow' projectile and if you're key holing the target (bullet impacting sideways) it's because the bullets are not obdurating or swelling to engage the rifling of the barrel. This is a result of either too much powder and energy, resulting in them skipping the rifling and not stabilizing or as others have stated or the lack of wad isn't providing adequate seal and damaging the tail end of the bullet, resulting in inconsistencies.

I've had good luck with the following:

- No Excuses 460 gr. .503 diameter bullet (I used his sizing kit to find the right size and feel. Takes some pressure at first and then loads right in)
- 80 grains, by volume, of Alliant Black MZ (or Tripple Seven 2F)
- Non lubed wonder wad (the NE are already lubed and load easy enough)
- 4 Flang RWS Musket Cap

During load development, with a scope on, it shot well under MOA @ 100 yards. With irons on, I'm good on a dixie plate out to 200, which is as far as I have any business shooting irons anyways.

Keep us posted on how the wads work. Good luck!

OP
F
I also own a KNIGHT UL in a .50 that I've built specifically for ID and CO hunting. The load I use is legal in both states but that obviously means I'm not shooting BH209. But it shoots amazing and I wouldn't change a thing.

Everyone has already touched on the importance of the wad in a bullet to powder application. That said, those big lead bullets are a 'low and slow' projectile and if you're key holing the target (bullet impacting sideways) it's because the bullets are not obdurating or swelling to engage the rifling of the barrel. This is a result of either too much powder and energy, resulting in them skipping the rifling and not stabilizing or as others have stated or the lack of wad isn't providing adequate seal and damaging the tail end of the bullet, resulting in inconsistencies.

I've had good luck with the following:

- No Excuses 460 gr. .503 diameter bullet (I used his sizing kit to find the right size and feel. Takes some pressure at first and then loads right in)
- 80 grains, by volume, of Alliant Black MZ (or Tripple Seven 2F)
- Non lubed wonder wad (the NE are already lubed and load easy enough)
- 4 Flang RWS Musket Cap

During load development, with a scope on, it shot well under MOA @ 100 yards. With irons on, I'm good on a dixie plate out to 200, which is as far as I have any business shooting irons anyways.

Keep us posted on how the wads work. Good luck!
I was pushing it with 80g of bh209, so pretty equivalent. I've settled on using the thor 300s. The few times I've gotten a shot off placement was good and would prefer to use copper anyways . Ill go back to try the NEs at some point. Thanks for the tips! Lehigh plug should be here Wednesday, cant wait to drop the plastic jacket setup

OP
F
Range day went much better with my new lehigh adapter and plug, still ran into a few issue, but was able to get off 10 shots.
Shots 1-3 fired flawlessly
Shot #4 would not go, fired 3 primers.
Took breech plug out and checked for blockage, didn't see anything, fired 3 primers and made sure flash channel was clear
It fired flawlessly the next 7 shots
I am ordering win 209s tonight, I just don't know if the CCI209m I have are reliable.
Also having an issue with primers getting stuck in the bolt adapter, had to tap it off with a hammer, now some will come out, others get stuck. Is this the shimming issue you guys were referring to?

Thanks for all your help friends! Deff moving in the right direction now!

Pictures are
my primers after firing
Target at 50 yards(iron sights, need some practice)
BP when it would not fire
Bolt starter with primer jammed

Attachments

• 20200806_193741.jpg
    20200806_193741.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200806_193605.jpg
    20200806_193605.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200806_185250.jpg
    20200806_185250.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 45