It ain’t just ammo

So ammo shortages and prices are well known and publicized.

Recently learning that production and factory slow downs have limited mountain bikes and bike components in addition to fishing gear. Was pricing a new mountain bike and looking for a new tire for another and both are out of stock till at least the end of april and the guy at my shop says maybe until June. Seems like certain fishing gear is scarce as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Somebody told me the problem with fishing gear is that so much of it is made overseas and there just isn't as much shipping going on currently.

I'm not stating that as a fact, I have no knowledge of shipping but I can say that the shortage of fishing gear has been going on for a little while now. Even last summer I started having a tough time finding what I wanted. The shelves at many stores I have been to have also been pretty bare. Additionally, many things are sold out online and sourcing out specific lures etc can be tough. If you have a big summer of fishing planned, NOW is probably a good time to start ordering stuff up.

anything made on a production line has shortages. I am in the furniture world. Empty showrooms, 8 months to get new inventory. Long story short, there is raw material shortages, labor shortages, transportation issues. That is on domestic production. Ie when the meat packing plants where shut down, very few people thought there would be a leather shortage, but there is. No cows killed no hides to tan. just an example.

on the import side, the ports are backed up big time. In december i got a container in, the freight cost of the container was $4,000. the same company, the container i got last week cost me $7,100 in freight. dang near double in a couple of months. My containers are taking a month longer to get thru port and to me. This situation will not be going away any time soon. The other side of things, is, the demand for goods is 20 times higher than the supply of goods.

OP
Desk Jockey
Seems like it is also uneven across various components. One bike shop said they have frames but no components to build them out.

matthewmt

WKR
I work for a high voltage company that mainly supplies power companies with materials and 3" sch 40 pvc just jumped to over 5$ a foot cost, let alone the lead times for other material and price increases.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Haha, where you been? Everything’s delayed or out of stock. I ordered suspension and tires for my truck beginning of December. My tires came yesterday and (most of) my suspension got here a week ago.

ODB

WKR
Getting outsourced parts has been an issue for my company for about 7 months. Not only getting manufactures to make the parts we need, but when they are done, getting them on a boat to get here. Shipping has been delayed a lot

EastMT

WKR
Lumber is up 170% in the last year. I had a builder tell me he was building basic granite/tile/brick southern style houses for $65 sq ft last year his cost, now he’s up to $95 cost. He’s adding $25-40k to a basic entry level 3/2 2 car garage homes now in an area where housing is still cheap.

I know they say there’s no inflation, but damn my checks are deflating if not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Lumber is up 170% in the last year. I had a builder tell me he was building basic granite/tile/brick southern style houses for $65 sq ft last year his cost, now he’s up to $95 cost. He’s adding $25-40k to a basic entry level 3/2 2 car garage homes now in an area where housing is still cheap.

I know they say there’s no inflation, but damn my checks are deflating if not.

I think we are seeing the early signs of inflation and that quantitative easing and other loose financial policies have been baking it in for years. We may have finally reached the tipping point. Unfortunately, only time will tell and once it is clear prevention will be impossible.

elkguide

WKR
Try buying a refrigerator or a freezer!

As a house painter, we've had a hard time getting brushes and roller frames and even the weekly deliveries often times turn into maybe next week! Talked with one of the truck drivers and he said that if the trucks aren't loaded full the boss won't let them leave the yard. Instead of running with 6 or 7 stops, he said that he routinely has 13 or 14.

Back to the OP's point. As a bicycle rider (roadie) I'm really glad that I built a new titanium bike two years ago as all of the bike shops (that are open) around here, have nothing but a few $300 or $400 bicycles in and they usually sell within a week if they can get them in. As for any components, hope that you are lucky and stop in the day that they arrive because they won't last overnight!

Beendare

WKR
Its a snowball...partially due to Covid...and partially due to the Democrats in power.

The problem is that higher fuel costs are a stealth tax on every consumer good. Its Econ 101; The higher cost of shipping is passed on to us...just like higher corp taxes will be too.

The folks that voted for the current admin are the ones that killed all of us....especilly the poor. Energy costs are a higher portion of a poor family's budget. Biden told us he would 1) Raise taxes, 2) push the green initiative, 3) Go after guns. Then their massive deficit spending will drive up inflation even more killing our buying power and lowering our standard of living.

Now that they are doing what they promised....people are surprised?Sheesh.

The US is going downhill fast with massive deficit spending and poor policy...all because half of the population is totally fooled.

__

Alchemy

WKR
Lumber is off the charts

my window supplier told me 9 week lead time for standard low e single hung vinyl windows

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Its a snowball...partially due to Covid...and partially due to the Democrats in power.

The problem is that higher fuel costs are a stealth tax on every consumer good. Its Econ 101; The higher cost of shipping is passed on to us...just like higher corp taxes will be too.

The folks that voted for the current admin are the ones that killed all of us....especilly the poor. Energy costs are a higher portion of a poor family's budget. Biden told us he would 1) Raise taxes, 2) push the green initiative, 3) Go after guns. Then their massive deficit spending will drive up inflation even more killing our buying power and lowering our standard of living.

Now that they are doing what they promised....people are surprised?Sheesh.

The US is going downhill fast with massive deficit spending and poor policy...all because half of the population is totally fooled.

__

Because the last 4 years had nothing to do with anything but the last two months are everything? The current administration is certainly making things worse, but the last one has a lot to answer for. Trying to shift blame from your side to the other is immature and part of the problem.

Beendare

WKR
Because the last 4 years had nothing to do with anything but the last two months are everything? The current administration is certainly making things worse, but the last one has a lot to answer for. Trying to shift blame from your side to the other is immature and part of the problem.

Sides? I'm an independent.

I look at policy.

Take a look at a chart on what oil has done recently....or what has happened to ammo....all due to a sea change in policy by the new admin.

Claiming the explosion in pricing was caused by the old admin is absurd.

___

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
read something today that the big box stores all started placing big orders with China on Jan. 21
They know bidenHarris will jump right back in bed with China and then all will be good in their world again.
Just a data point....

read something today that the big box stores all started placing big orders with China on Jan. 21
They know bidenHarris will jump right back in bed with China and then all will be good in their world again.
Just a data point....
Yep they paid the politicians to use covid to shut down all there small business competition.
Now to double down on the cash cow buy having the puppet climb in with China

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sides? I'm an independent.

I look at policy.

Take a look at a chart on what oil has done recently....or what has happened to ammo....all due to a sea change in policy by the new admin.

Claiming the explosion in pricing was caused by the old admin is absurd.

___

The abserdity on some things is the other way around. Ammo was an issue well befor this year. The bicycle shortage also happened well before this year. Lubber had increased significantly in price last summer. The inflation in the stock market has been going on for years.

I can go on. The hilarious thing is I oppose many of this administrations policies and agree that they are making problems worse and causing new problems; but when you chose to focus on parties, rather than policy, you lost credibility as an "independent" and as having an objective evaluation. Your insistance that nothing was wrong before January 20th just seals that impression.

Try buying a refrigerator or a freezer!

As a house painter, we've had a hard time getting brushes and roller frames and even the weekly deliveries often times turn into maybe next week! Talked with one of the truck drivers and he said that if the trucks aren't loaded full the boss won't let them leave the yard. Instead of running with 6 or 7 stops, he said that he routinely has 13 or 14.

Back to the OP's point. As a bicycle rider (roadie) I'm really glad that I built a new titanium bike two years ago as all of the bike shops (that are open) around here, have nothing but a few $300 or $400 bicycles in and they usually sell within a week if they can get them in. As for any components, hope that you are lucky and stop in the day that they arrive because they won't last overnight!
I’m also a house painter and was talking to one of the guys at Benjamin Moore this morning and he told me there was probably going to be a big shortage on caulk this summer. I don’t know what state your in but we haven’t had a hard time finding brushes and roller frames yet.