It wasn’t Talley - it’s apparently me. Scope won’t stay fixed - Update: fixed. Added to first post

Bluto

WKR
Okay, I would have sworn I had ring issues. Contacted Talley, they offered to take them back and spec them out. Ordered Leupold backcountry in the meantime, same exact result.

Gun is a Weatherby Cinderlite (lightweight Mark V) in .308. Bone stock. Scope is a SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP 30mm. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

All rings, bases, hardware and scope are degreased, I even wore rubber gloves this time installing. Torqued to spec, blue loctite. 4-5 shots and the scope has rotated 10-12 degrees CCW.

Anyone have ideas? I’ve never had an issue with any ring.

EDIT - for those not interested in 13 pages. Lots of curveballs, but relatively simple solution. (Hint: don’t throw yourself additional curveballs)

In the words of the ancient philosopher Borat:
“It is great success.”

40 rounds, witness marks on the scope tube stayed true.

For those not into 12 pages of posts novels, here’s my assessment:

Leupold’s - probably fine, just the wrong part. I still can’t get the website to show which is 6 vs 9 lug, but I clicked “buy” and paid the money. I own it.

The Talley’s finally held. Most recent round of failure I’m positive was because they weren’t tight enough. I had ditched the torque wrench and used the included torx elbow wrench. Last night, I set the torque wrench low and incrementally increased it until it would back the screws out. My rough guess is that hand tightening put them in the mid teens. I busted the torque wrench out, put 25-ish on them, dry, held fine today. The difference is the very first time they had a good amount of loctite on them, and were at the 20in-lb mark.

Lessons learned:
- Form has a great detailed writeup on installation on another forum with good photos. But, he also lives in a world where he shoots/observes more rounds fired every month than I have shot in my adult life. If you do as well, press on, brother. My feel for it is substandard. I’m pretty good at flying, but it’ll be a torque wrench for me from now on.

- Loctite. I’ve read dozens of convincing arguments for and against. I’ve traditionally used it. BUT: I noticed through the process that it never set. During disassembly, most of it was still wet, even if after a week. I suspect that living in a grossly humid environment is not a good thing for it. So pardon my French, but I’ll be going in dry from now on. (I will , however, dab the screw tops with hardened nail polish to keep junk and moisture out and act as a screw position witness.)

Last edited:
OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Just ordered calipers, had the same thought. I’m gonna assume there’s no fix if that turns out true.

What is the torque spec you are using?

Are the scope halves bottom against each other on both sides?

Swfa tube will handle 22 in lb just fine.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
21 or 22 was in the Leupold spec data, I’ll have to take a peek. It’s at one or the other.

Scope halves have a gap. Not much, but they aren’t touching.

sndmn11

WKR
Call Brian or Chris at Talley and see what their thoughts are. Explain you thought their rings were the issue, you believe that is not true now and why, then see what they say.

I'd also call SWFA.

Where are you located?
Okay, I would have sworn I had ring issues. Contacted Talley, they offered to take them back and spec them out. Ordered Leupold backcountry in the meantime, same exact result.

Gun is a Weatherby Cinderlite (lightweight Mark V) in .308. Bone stock. Scope is a SWFA SS 3-9x42 FFP 30mm. https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html

All rings, bases, hardware and scope are degreased, I even wore rubber gloves this time installing. Torqued to spec, blue loctite. 4-5 shots and the scope has rotated 10-12 degrees CCW.

Anyone have ideas? I’ve never had an issue with any ring.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
If tube isn't undersized I wonder if you torque wrench in out of spec. Nothing should slip, let alone rotate at 21in lbs.

I had this thought as well. Short of ordering another torque driver, no idea. I would hope it’s good, the only thing it’s been out of the case for is installing scope rings on this rifle. But, mechanical failures happen.

Call Brian or Chris at Talley and see what their thoughts are. Explain you thought their rings were the issue, you believe that is not true now and why, then see what they say.

I'd also call SWFA.

Where are you located?

Yup, I have Brian’s email (thanks to you) so I’ve sent another asking exactly that. I also emailed SWFA to (very politely) ask for further recommendations beyond how I mounted the scope.

Florida. Fortunate for many things, just as unfortunate for others. Namely anything outdoors Lol

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Ugh. I’m having flashbacks to ordering the SWFA in the first place. All I want is a reliable lightweight 3-9 scope. Everyone hates everything except what I have 😂

Fatcamp

WKR
You can get a simple straightedge anywhere. Machinists typically use an 8" one they carry and use for everything. Lowes, HD, anywhere.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Is there a gunsmith in your area.
I feel like if the scope halves aren't touching there should be enough pressure to hold.

But maybe if they need alot of lapping there isn't enough surface area to get a grip

Gotta be. Looking that up tonight.

Could be, but man it’s odd. I’ve never lapped a set of rings in my life, never had a single issue. Not sure I personally know anyone that laps rings.

You can get a simple straightedge anywhere. Machinists typically use an 8" one they carry and use for everything. Lowes, HD, anywhere.

Fair enough. I have plenty of those.

Calling weatherby as well, just to see what they think.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Got a possible. (This is why I said “it’s me” in the title.)

I’ve read two different torque values from Leupold on these. Mine are at the lower at 21 in-lb. Waiting on an answer from Leupold on 28 in-lb being correct. (And from SWFA on their opinion on that value.h

@BjornF16 I just noticed the second part of your post. Sorry about that. Bases are at 28, ring tops at 21.

We’ll see if Leupold and SWFA agree on 28. That would be a beautiful, easy fix.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Hm. Just disassembled the rings to start over, either way.

Loctite is still wet. Been sitting for a week in the gun case. Never seen that before either.

Bed your rings and it should fill any gaps or imperfections. Lapping will true your rings up but also remove material amplifying your issue. Lapping then bedding would be the ideal solution.