It’s about Christmas.... upgrade riser or limbs??

Title says it all. What you all think about risers and limbs? Would it be better to upgrade a riser or the limbs for an ilf setup?

R Davis

FNG
Hands down, upgrade your riser. Even cheap limbs are pretty damn good. What’s your current riser and what are you thinking about upgrading to? Also, what is it about your current riser that has you thinking about upgrading?

OP
bjfoxhoven
Mainly wanna upgrade riser to a 19” riser, and get something with a little better quality in the process. I have a. 31” draw and got a 17” galaxy ilf riser. It is okay, but doesn’t have a way to lock limb bolts, or tapped for quiver, and needs a fairly high nock point or pretty negative tiller for tuned flight for me. Possibly a better designed riser wouldn’t need as much to get it smooth. Plus I like to tinker lol. I wanted a 62” bow to help with maneuvering in the tree and what not when I got the galaxy. Well I don’t think I will notice the extr 2” in the tree if I went to a 64” but I’m certain I will feel the difference in the draw/shot. Possibly a DAS, maybe satori, but I haven’t shot either. Know a few people with a satori riser I may be able to get my hands on.

I would go uukha if I got limbs, just want the little extra speed from them and a few extra pounds. Shooting 46-47 lb now and would like to be low 50s. Trad tech black max limbs, which have been great. But if I go up in riser length the weight will drop a little (and I can hold the draw for 30 seconds and shoot decent still at that weight).

it just got me thinking what would one do first. Kinda like the upgrade bino first or get a spotter debate... which is more important. I was thinking the riser was probably more important.

R Davis

FNG
I would try to shoot as many risers as you can to get a feel, but keep in mind that a simple grip swap can change a riser you don’t like into one you love. Tiller changes and where you put pressure on a certain grip changes the feel big time. Sometimes just mentally really liking your riser for whatever reason means the world to shooting performance because you can tune these things to feel how you want. I would definitely recommend a longer riser then 17” at your draw, if you were already thinking 19”, I’d consider 21”. I’d dial in my riser setup and then evaluate what I wanted in a limb. That is a entirely new discussion. Is this a strictly hunting setup or a do it all setup?

OP
bjfoxhoven
There isn’t a ton of people with ILF set ups for hunting in town. I know I can just get a different grip for a different deal, hence why I love the ilf system and the adjustability of everything. I have 2 grips for the one I have and plan to modify one of the trips to figure out what I would like a little more.

I currently have a 21” Warf I made, and with my current limbs is 40lb at my draw. It’s a dream to shoot. i compare it to a big old Cadillac compared to a newer corvette when i shoot the 62”. Bow. I shoot the 62” bow really well, but know the 64 will add a little more comfort and hopefully accuracy for me at some distances. It is a hunting set up, everything I do is for hunting. I go shoot some 3D ranges, but haven’t ever done a tournament nor plan to at this point in my life.

R Davis

FNG
Sounds like you’re on the right path. A quality 19” riser and then some long limbs would be a solid hunt/ recreational 3d setup.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I have a 30"draw and have both 17" and 19" risers. I pretty much shoot my 19's Exclusively.

They are more consistently accurate for me. Really the only time length matters is in a Ground blind....a longer bow is just better.

All recurves are a pain in GB's.....even in my larger GB....I have a problem getting all shots in that thing.

I would say 64" is a no brainer for you....maybe even 66". I'm going to bet your shooting improves a lot.

OP
bjfoxhoven
Sounds like it will be a new riser before upgrading the limbs. I have a warf at 21” but would like heavier limbs before I use it hunting (which I want to do eventually, be pretty sweet getting something with my uncles old Hoyt resurrected as a recurve). Unfortunately I will be dropping weight and arrow speed if I do go to the longer riser, though it won’t probably won’t be noticeable.

OP
bjfoxhoven
Ha I would love to, need my student loans done with though first not sure I would go with the super curves though, was planning on either the basic ones or middle road ones. South has some pretty looking bows coming out these days... heck they all are. I really enjoy the beauty of them, but like the fact I can beat up my metal riser, spray can paint them, and not feel bad about it. Wouldn’t be the case with those nice customs for me right now.

OP
bjfoxhoven
I just realized the DAS riser is in 15, 17, 21”. No 19 unfortunately.

Cove-Creek

Lil-Rokslider
The DAS Tribute is 19" and is an awesome riser. As others have mentioned at your draw I would consider a 21". The DAS Daala in 21" is a really nice accurate and forgiving riser.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, lots to like with those forged Aluminum risers....the mass makes them very stable on the shot, many grip options....and they are bulletproof.

I have a Trad Tech Alu riser I like....and you can find those regularly on the AT classifieds for $250-300.

DWinVA

WKR
As others have said.....riser. I’ve been very pleased with my CD Archery WF19 riser for hunting and 3D.
God Bless.

OP
bjfoxhoven
Thanks all for the responses. Going with a 19” satori to try for now. Next will probably be a titan down the road when I’m ready for another lol. Dropping a couple pounds on the draw going to longer riser should be be a big deal; will upgrade and increase poundage a big maybe before next season comes around.

Ahutch

FNG
It's Christmas....upgrade both.....duuuuh!!!
😁

Hutch
P.S. once you shoot the uukhas' you'll realize how crappy the TT's really are...lol

PennDude

FNG
Pay attention to CD archery on December 24th. They’re releasing a new ILF riser and it is just incredible. I got really lucky and was at the archery shop when Calvin Smock showed up and he let me shoot his new design. I took 3 shots at 20 yards, two were in the 9 ring and one in the 8 ring. I’m NOT a very good shot. I handed it back to Calvin, soaked in drool. I never realized a bow could shoot or feel so good.