Its happening again in California

Swayze

FNG
Do you guys think they will extend the closure past September 17th?
Trying to make as much noise as possible so that they don’t extend it. Or at least think twice. That being said I do not have much hope.

Deadfall

WKR
I see where yall got a republican running for governor in tge recall. Your old Democrat speaker just backed him. This is interesting...maybe tides are turning. That would definitely change landscape

amassi

WKR
Please let Elder win, for all of CA's sake.
Unfortunately whoever replaces Newsome next week will serve a year as a lame duck then be replaced with another liberal gov next year

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I like to complain as much as the next guy about this shit state but you guys should realize this is the USFS and the feds making these decisions, not local government.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Unfortunately whoever replaces Newsome next week will serve a year as a lame duck then be replaced with another liberal gov next year

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
The real problem is, even if Larry were to pull off the recall, the rest of Suckramento is mostly Lib. Dems. He likely wouldn't get much accomplished. We'll see in about seven days.

I like to complain as much as the next guy about this shit state but you guys should realize this is the USFS and the feds making these decisions, not local government.
Local government does "ask" the feds (USFS) and they tend to comply most of the time, it's rare when they don't. USFS officials have made this clear to me a number of times. It's pretty clear when you see what forests are closed and what ones aren't. Ask yourself why Rogue River/Siskiyou and Humboldt/Toiyabe aren't on the California closure list, all the while they are within the boundaries of California state lines. Local government entities have control of federal lands in this case.

Deadfall

WKR
Very true. However, any change on attitude for the positive will start effecting change throughout. Hopefully elder is the start of a shift that spreads nation wide.

Perhaps I'm naive or foolish...either way gotta the good in everything.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
@Muley Buck The order says all national forest are closed in CA. Those forests you mentioned aren’t??

Either way not sure what your argument is, the feds are the ones who have the jurisdiction and legal power to ticket you in this case. Local LE-Wardens can probably report you and/or give you a warning but that’s about it. There are some stickler USFS rangers in this state for sure, but I’ve gotten out of a ticket before not related to closures though.

@Muley Buck The order says all national forest are closed in CA. Those forests you mentioned aren’t??

Either way not sure what your argument is, the feds are the ones who have the jurisdiction and legal power to ticket you in this case. Local LE-Wardens can probably report you and/or give you a warning but that’s about it. There are some stickler USFS rangers in this state for sure, but I’ve gotten out of a ticket before not related to closures though.

Here it is in black and white.

No arguement from me. Yes, the feds do indeed have jurisdiction. That doesn't mean that they don't let the state of California weild it.

Has nothing to do with going against a closure order or getting ticketed. All I'm referring to is implementation and how it works.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Here it is in black and white.

No arguement from me. Yes, the feds do indeed have jurisdiction. That doesn't mean that they don't let the state of California weild it.

Has nothing to do with going against a closure order or getting ticketed. All I'm referring to is implementation and how it works.

Interesting. My guess is that since the vast majority of the Humbolt Toiyabe forest is in nevada that’s why it’s not listed? I think the same for Rogue and Oregon. Virtually every single news article says ALL NF are closed in CA as I’m sure you’ve seen.

Interesting. My guess is that since the vast majority of the Humbolt Toiyabe forest is in nevada that’s why it’s not listed? I think the same for Rogue and Oregon. Virtually every single news article says ALL NF are closed in CA as I’m sure you’ve seen.
National Forests and National Parks don't know state lines. Think about it, Yellowstone is Yellowstone no matter if it's in Idaho, Montana or Wyoming. It's along that line of thinking.
Yes, Nevada is the controlling entity of Humboldt-Toiyabe as Oregon is for Rogue River-Siskiyou. Hence why they aren't on the list. Its actually pretty easy to look up on each of the Forests web pages.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Man California and especially the sierras will always hold a special place in my heart. I spent 35 years here including hunting and backpacking every single year since 1993 without missing a single year. As of October I'm officially out. Likely won't ever come back to hunt either.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
The Ca forests are in region 5, the humbolt toiyabe is in Region 4 and the Rogue is in Region 6. The closures are region specific…it just so happens that all of the closed forests in Ca are in a single region. Just mentioning the specifics.