It's here!! Brush up on field judging antelope with this article...

I just went on my first speed goat hunt and it was no walk in the park. Many animals were spotted, most were1,000+ yards from the road or further. 15x Binos and a good spotter sure do help.

Great article. Very concise. This is a great read for those interested in field judging. As a side note, I read Mike Eastman’s book on antelope hunting and it is very informative for first time antelope hunters.

What’s a respectable score on an antelope? I’m a long time big game hunter but am just starting to get into antelope.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What’s a respectable score on an antelope? I’m a long time big game hunter but am just starting to get into antelope.
It's more about finding a buck that you like as they all look different and certain characteristics may really appeal to you more than others. Also depends where you're hunting... A 75" antelope buck is a really nice one, 80" makes the B&C awards, and 82" makes the B&C all time book.

Mule34

FNG
Good article, I have laid a few smackdowns on some speed goats. I have always had a hard time judging animals in the field. I find a good spotting scope takes some of the guess work out, I have always been told to try and make sure the prong (cutter) is above the ears and it is a good indicator for a mature antelope. I have my rifle tag on Oct 3rd it opens! Good luck everyone!

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for this! Great info as I generally have trouble judging antelope bucks. They’re all so unique and I always try to look for the older mature bucks but it’s hard to tell sometimes.

andegreg

FNG
Had a great time archery hunting antelope last year in Idaho. A buddy and I were looking at a buck head on through some spotters and were trying to decide if he was worth chasing or moving on. As soon as he turned his head and we saw the mass that he had and how it carried all the way up his horns it was game on. They don't get big being dumb. Antelope 1, Us 0. Looking forward to this coming season already.