J34 opinions...

Finally joined after lurking a little bit. Nice group of guys, a couple of familiar 'faces', looks to be a cool place!

I am looking at picking up a used Eberlestock J34 and have read the review in the gear articles but it mostly dwells on the 104.

For a smaller frame guy like me 5'8" 155lbs...how does this pack perform compared to some of the others in it's class as a bivy pack for3-5 days and as a meat hauler?

Am I missing something for a little more budget than this pack?

Thx
Bill

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I actually think that pack is at its best with a guy your size. The j34 has an adjustable torso that should fit you pretty well. It is pretty much a j104 with adjustable torso length.

It still won't haul super heavy loads like the super-packs (Kifaru/SG/Kuiu/MR), but it is a solid pack.

OP
B
I actually think that pack is at its best with a guy your size. The j34 has an adjustable torso that should fit you pretty well. It is pretty much a j104 with adjustable torso length.

It still won't haul super heavy loads like the super-packs (Kifaru/SG/Kuiu/MR), but it is a solid pack.

Please define super heavy- ie; an Elk rear quarter with trimmings, a 330" 6x6 head/horns?
Thx

Also, Justin- any more info on why and what you think would be better in class or for a step up in price point?- Thx again

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Please define super heavy- ie; an Elk rear quarter with trimmings, a 330" 6x6 head/horns?
Thx

Well, with the J105 it was around 50 pounds. If your torso is pretty short, you should get some lift out of the J34, and it might be a bit higher. Can you test the pack with some weight before you buy? You might get some other recommendations if you give a budget.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would buy a quality used pack like a Bora. That pack will haul as much as most people can carry.
I just sold one for $150.00 because I got a Timberline.

dotman

WKR

X2...eberlestocks are tanks but just not built for guys taller then 5'9.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I agree with BB on this. The J series of packs are very tough. I used the Bluewidow for many years with zero problem. At this price point it's hard to beat them.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'8" 165# and I really like my widow I've had up around 100lbs and you will know its there but isn't terrible. If you have the money buy better but it is a great pack for the $$. And you could just roll it down the mountain if you don't want to carry it is almost indestructible!

Lawnboi

WKR
I didn't mind mine when I had it. Im a short guy, so It did function pretty well. It was pretty uncomfortable with a load over 40lbs. I also hated it for a bivy pack, as a day pack I thought it was awesome. I just didn't care for the way it expanded

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Blue Widow and I think it is a great pack. I have never experienced any hot spots or soreness with 25-60 lbs. I like the fact the Blue Widow has a removable gun scabbard and I like the lay out although it could use a couple of pockets for organization. I currently have my pack set up with 55 lbs and I use it to work out twice a week. I have modified the stays to make the load lifters functional and this has made a significant difference in the comfort.

dotman

WKR
I have a Blue Widow and I think it is a great pack. I have never experienced any hot spots or soreness with 25-60 lbs. I like the fact the Blue Widow has a removable gun scabbard and I like the lay out although it could use a couple of pockets for organization. I currently have my pack set up with 55 lbs and I use it to work out twice a week. I have modified the stays to make the load lifters functional and this has made a significant difference in the comfort.

You should post up a thread on your mod, thus could be very useful for others.

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently putting the materials together to make it look a little more professional. I have been playing around with the stay length to find what works best for me and I am trying to make the adapter work with 3-5 inch longer stays. Once I get it all finished I'll post what I have.

Cody

Slim Jim

WKR
I've used my J34 for the last couple of years and it is a very durable pack and great for a day pack. I've had to haul a whole bone out mule deer and gear for a three day hunt 5 miles in and it killed my shoulders but it got it done. Ive also taken it 8 miles deep for a week hunt in the backcountry. It will get the job done but if I was you I would bite the bullet and save for a better pack otherwise you'll be selling it in a year or two and get a kifaru like I did

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the J34, used it for the 2012 elk season as a day pack. I was plesantly suprised on how much weight it handled. The first two loads were a front and rear quarters, the third was head , antlers, cape and backstraps. I don't have any experience with Kifaru or MR or any other top end packs, but someday would like to compare them with a load. I opted for the J34 due to very limited budget, and will stick with the pack for a while as a day pack. I am starting to look for a better / larger pack for a sheep hunt or wilderness hunt, but for spiking out overnight or a couple of days the J34 will work fine.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't mind mine when I had it. Im a short guy, so It did function pretty well. It was pretty uncomfortable with a load over 40lbs. I also hated it for a bivy pack, as a day pack I thought it was awesome. I just didn't care for the way it expanded
I put camp in the spike duffel and just strap it on with the compression straps so I don't have to expand the pack. Makes it easier to bushwack.

OP
B
150-300

I was thinking used to keep the price 150-300...

Thx for the replies and opinions so far.

Bill

I have a buddy that would part with his Eberlestock Dragonfly. He even has the extra meat carry attachment. PM me if you are interested.