Jack Rabbit or Cottontail

willy

FNG
Adult whitetail jacks are way bigger than blacktails, just a fyi, nothing really to add to the id of it. When I was a kid my grandpa and I would hunt rabbits. I lived in an area where cottontails, white, and blacktail jacks lived. We would make sausage out of them as well as eat them as individual meals.

MeatBuck

WKR
What happened to identifying your target before pulling the trigger?

I bet this thread would have a different theme had that been a deer and you asked what kind it was...

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a west Tennessee swamp cotton tail. The thing that stuck out to me is the significant difference in size of the back feet between the OP and mine.

62d3b7237913142dc57f42cacfd8c2fd.jpg

Conroy

WKR

I bet this thread would have a different theme had that been a deer and you asked what kind it was...

Probably because all rabbit and hares are open for hunting September 1. He could shoot any rabbit, but was just clarifying what kind it was. No legal or moral issues.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR

Well being that it was indeed a rabbit and I can shoot 2 Jack's and 10 Cottontails a day, and I was in fact Rabbit hunting, I'm not really sure why that would matter.....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Probably because all rabbit and hares are open for hunting September 1. He could shoot any rabbit, but was just clarifying what kind it was. No legal or moral issues.
Thanks.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Here’s a west Tennessee swamp cotton tail. The thing that stuck out to me is the significant difference in size of the back feet between the OP and mine.

62d3b7237913142dc57f42cacfd8c2fd.jpg
I've killed tons of eastern Cottontails. But even the Cottontails out here don't look like the easterns I'm used too.

2ski

WKR
Did it run away or did it hop away? Cottontails hop. Jackrabbits kind of seem more of a run. If it was a snowshoe hair, I think you would see a little change in color on part of it. But I don't hunt wabbits so I could be wrong.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Nah, not true, it is illegal to take Pygmys. And if the OP is whalin on lagomorphs before identifying them, what happens when a protected species pops up?
Pigmys don't inhabit my area at all.

ShawZaw

FNG
Whitetail jackrabbit, but I really like the idea of a whitetail doe jackalope, very elusive critters.

jmez

WKR
Looks like a young jackrabbit.

I saw a lot of snowshoes this last week, all of them the feet were white. Starting to turn.