Jack Rabbit or Cottontail

grfox92

WKR
I shot this rabbit this morning. It was my first rabbit here in Wyoming since moving from back east. It didn't look any different to me than a cottontail. Ran like a cottontail.

My uncle pointed out the ears and suggested it was a jackrabbit.

So to all you western guys could you school me on what I shot here?

5a459dbf8f7fb593f400b7342fd3ab45.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
jack rabbit
is it just the ears that give it away? I did some toilet research on "the Google" and jackrabbits look like they have long flat feet. Not questioning your answer at all just trying to educate myself

TheGDog

WKR
Our Jacks out here in SoCal have black-tipped tails and black-tipped ears. And are substantially bigger than CottonTails. (And their tasty in a crockpot too!) And when they spook, they tend to run quite a substantial ways away.
20190915_184949 - Copy.jpg

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Our Jacks out here in SoCal have black-tipped tails and black-tipped ears. And are substantially bigger than CottonTails. (And their tasty in a crockpot too!) And when they spook, they tend to run quite a substantial ways away.
View attachment 218766
this guy jumped up and ran about 50 yards. I walked to the last seen location and jumped it, shot him at 30 yards with a .410

TheGDog

WKR
this guy jumped up and ran about 50 yards. I walked to the last seen location and jumped it, shot him at 30 yards with a .410

This one in the picture? At that place? MAN do they run far! This guy I shot at about 70yds w/ 12ga #6 steel shot. And that was just the direct-line range to him. He actually traverse a bit more than that since we went through a big dip in the terrain. The shot broke both his femurs and we was balling JUST LIKE an eCaller! It was creepy, but so cool to actually her a real one in the flesh making those same kinds of distressed sounds just like the eCallers do! I hesitated for a second on whether or not I should give him the coup de grace, or see if his cry would draw in a predator. But then I reasoned that if it brought in a pred, it might ruin the hunting for doves and Jacks.. so I went over and took him out of his pain.