Jacket options

Badseed

WKR
I have an elk hunt in Idaho this year late October early November. I know mountain weather can change pretty quickly so I am trying to narrow down my focus on outer layers and am debating on jackets at the moment. I had a kuiu guide jacket but got rid of it because the wind blew right threw it and Idaho wind can be brutal! What jacket would you recommend for active hunting? I plan to bring a puffy and wool layers but I was wanting something to block wind and minor rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
If you’re bringing wool layers and a puffy I’d recommend a rain jacket as your outer layer. It’s your wind and waterproof layer and if chosen correctly, allows your clothing system to ‘cook’ your under layers dry.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
If you’re bringing wool layers and a puffy I’d recommend a rain jacket as your outer layer. It’s your wind and waterproof layer and if chosen correctly, allows your clothing system to ‘cook’ your under layers dry.

I was thinking about some durability in the jacket as well since the puffys tend to be very delicate. However, a few people have recommended the kuiu elements jacket saying that it has great durability for a puffy. I haven’t settled on a puffy yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For warmth I reply on base & insulated layering, to cut the wind I now rely on a rain jacket (if there's a chance of rain) or my Timberline jacket. The Timberline is extremely light, packable and surprisingly effective. Doesn't look like much but the thing works. Took me a while to fully appreciate it but for spot & stalk it's pretty darn cool.

Big Ern

WKR
If you are already bringing wool layerrs and a puffy, then just add a rain jacket (kuiu yukon or chugach) and you’ll be covered.

mlgc20

WKR
If you are already bringing wool layerrs and a puffy, then just add a rain jacket (kuiu yukon or chugach) and you’ll be covered.
Agreed. I have the Yukon and love it. Where it every hunt I go on. One of my favorite pieces of clothes/gear.

Kryptek Bora jacket. Wore it over a synthetic base, long sleeve merino wool, Kyptek arma hoody and the ghar puffy. Single digits, heavy snow, high winds, stayed nice and warm and felt zero wind. The wind was so strong at times it almost knocked me over and I'm 6'3" 280 lb! Held up great hiking thru the oak brush and scrub.