Jacket Options

Jeterry

FNG
So I currently have a kuiu axis jacket, and looking to upgrade insulation layer. How warm will a super down pro be under this axis jacket? How would this compare to a Sitka fanatic jacket? I’ve used one before and it’s super warm, but very heavy. I hunt both out west as well as whitetail. Trying to purchase one nice set of hunting clothing. Any advice?

I’d advise looking at mountaineering/backpacking clothing brands as well. They’ve been in the performance wear game much longer and will often be lighter weight. They will also often cost less due to no proprietary Camo pattern cost. That Camo is really for us anyway. Not that I don’t have any Camo. I’m just using it specifically for turkeys and ducks. For big game (archery and rifle) I’m switching to my higher quality non-hunt specific brand stuff.

Seeknelk

WKR
Are you worried about noise? AKA, late season whitetail archery hunting etc? If not , a puffy is tough to beat for fighting the cold.
For total silence, sitkas whitetail line is what I would stick with and add a puffy .
I used a cheap hooded puffy from TJ Max or something my wife picked up for a few bucks ,for years. It worked especially with a cheap down vest I could add as needed.
I then got the Sitka Kelvin WS for that next level and it's super warm but I can't layer my softshells over it and don't want to. Not hiking, stalking or busting brush with a dang puffy on.
Now I need a replacement , lighter puffy.

OP
J

Jeterry

FNG
Are you worried about noise? AKA, late season whitetail archery hunting etc? If not , a puffy is tough to beat for fighting the cold.
For total silence, sitkas whitetail line is what I would stick with and add a puffy .
I used a cheap hooded puffy from TJ Max or something my wife picked up for a few bucks ,for years. It worked especially with a cheap down vest I could add as needed.
I then got the Sitka Kelvin WS for that next level and it's super warm but I can't layer my softshells over it and don't want to. Not hiking, stalking or busting brush with a dang puffy on.
Now I need a replacement , lighter puffy.
So would you say get a cheaper puffy then get a fanatic jacket and come out at about the same price point as a super down pro?

zacattack

WKR
If you’re looking for a cheaper down jacket the Eddie Bauer cirrus light is hard to beat. You can get the hooded version on sale for around $40. I’ve worn mine in some pretty cold conditions (down to 0) and been fine with a base layer and just a long sleeve shirt over that.

snipe10

FNG
I have the Kuiu and Sitka but sometimes get cold so I just ordered up a couple Feathered Friends. Posted a thread after yours but I agree with the other poster. Look at some of the mountaineering companies as they're jackets are usually warmer, but I do like my Kuiu and Sitka, just not for super cold Colorado November mornings.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I have and love the Fanatic for whitetail stand hunting but it is heavy. The Axis paired with the SD Pro will be as warm and lighter. Most other puffy options from hunting and non hunting companies with similar amounts of down will do the same. The Skre Ptarmigan puffy has more down, is warmer than the SD Pro, weighs about 6 ounces more but only costs $299. Sometimes you can even find it on sale for around $240.

The rei magma is on sale for $153 right now. It comes in “army cot green” and is 850 fill.

Seeknelk

WKR
So would you say get a cheaper puffy then get a fanatic jacket and come out at about the same price point as a super down pro?
Yeah basically.
Check out the skre puffy, I have the skre puffy pants and they seem well made. But certainly, search outside hunting brands but keep an eye on how many oz of down fill are used.
Those jackets recommend above may fit the bill for ya.

Not exactly wjat you are looking for an answer on, but i use my super down pro pants under sitka stratus bibs and with base layer that can get me into the low teens comfortably and quietly for late season tree stand hunting. These days typically do not have much wind or precip in southern OK though, but the stratus bibs do wonders with wind.

For compairson, i have kuiu axis pants and i would say the stratus bibs are more substantial and a little warmer than the axis pants. I love my axis pants but transition somewhere south of 50 to the bibs and stay there for the rest of the season assuming temps are lower.

OP
J

Jeterry

FNG
I have and love the Fanatic for whitetail stand hunting but it is heavy. The Axis paired with the SD Pro will be as warm and lighter. Most other puffy options from hunting and non hunting companies with similar amounts of down will do the same. The Skre Ptarmigan puffy has more down, is warmer than the SD Pro, weighs about 6 ounces more but only costs $299. Sometimes you can even find it on sale for around $240.
Will the super down pro under the axis be too bulky to move? Don’t to be the michillian man

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Will the super down pro under the axis be too bulky to move? Don’t to be the michillian man
Not sure if your meaning you plan to still hunt or move with max warm layers on? Generally, the puffy down jacket doesn't come out until your static for a period of time.

OP
J

Jeterry

FNG
Not sure if your meaning you plan to still hunt or move with max warm layers on? Generally, the puffy down jacket doesn't come out until your static for a period of time.

I primarily archery hunt. Wanting to make sure I can pull the bow back and be comfortable while sitting. Definitely won’t wear them both when waking in to a stand

Jimss

WKR
I have a Fanatic vest. What's nice about the Fanatic is that it is super quiet for going through brush when worn as an outer. It's also camo. I think you'll find that most of the other fabrics are pretty darn noisy when going through brush. If it's super cold and I'm sitting I'll just add more layers.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I think any puffy under say 20 oz. would be fine under the Axis for bow hunting as they will still weigh less than the Fanatic’s 46 oz. But every archer is built a little different and layers different so I would do a trial run with the two jackets to see if they work well together.

Yes, buy one and try it. Shoot your bow. If it doesn’t work return it and keep looking. If you buy one from REI they have an excellent return policy.

tdvxrdob

FNG
There will be pros and cons to going either way. I think you will be just fine going puffy under the softshell for stand hunting if your primary goal is having gear that will do both that and western hunting. It will be a little louder and you may have to get a cheap compression sleeve for your arm to cycle your bow properly but in the end it will keep you warm and save you $$$ if that's your main goal. If not, the weight or the fanatic is worth the quietness, comfort and already designed for bow stand hunting.

I dont like spending more than I have to so I would go layers if in your shoes.

OP
J

Jeterry

FNG
How warm would the axis jacket be with a Down vest under? Warm enough to stand hunt die in the teens?

tdvxrdob

FNG
How warm would the axis jacket be with a Down vest under? Warm enough to stand hunt die in the teens?
For me a vest into the teens would be uncomfortable without adding another layer for my arms like a strongfleece or heavyweight hoody in addition to a heavyweight baselayer.