jacket or vest???

Just curious what u guys are using for an insulating layer? Do u prefer a down vest or a jacket like the Kuiu Spindrift? That and some merino is on my to do list for this year depending on the Idaho draw results! Thanks all.

Mike

dotman

WKR
I use both the first lite springer vest and labrador jacket. Vest before jacket in my layering system.

I personally prefer a vest over jacket.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pretty much live in my marmot Windblock fleece vest, but given the choice of one or the other I would pick the puffy jacket. When you are really cold or chilled having both warm core and sleeves can't be beat.

Lawnboi

WKR
depends on how much im moving. Alot of moving and i like a vest, because its easier to ventilate. If im sitting still glassing alot or in a treestand its nice to have sleeves.

tstowater

WKR
I have used a vest generally, except when cold, windy and stationary. I get hot quickly and the vests generally do a better job of venting. I think I've talked myself into getting a new one from Kuiu. Really liked the one I have from Sitka, but it is too big now. I need to quite reading this site.

I'm like Squatch, as long as I keep my core warm, and I am active, I am good down to about 15°, I really don't need a lot of insulation on my arms, hands, legs or feet. My wife however if she is cold in her extremities, she is miserable. So I think you really have to know yourself to answer that question.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I too am a vest guy. I heat up fairly easily and having the ability to use my arms to keep at a reasonable body temp works well for me. I did pick up some merino wool for a base layer this year. September bow hunting here usually doesn't require too much.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Guess I am a pansy here.

On a given backpack hunt I spend PLENTY o' time not hiking and just glassing. During such instances even at 40 degrees I much prefer a puffy coat over just a vest. Sitting still in the rain at 40 degrees with just a base layer, vest, and raingear just doesn't quite cut it for me.

Sure if I am actively hiking I can be fine with just a baselayer down to 15 degrees or so as well. But I don't like to rely on having to keep moving all the time to stay warm. Thus a warm ouffy jacket is what I use.

Granted a lot of you vest guys probably haul a soft shell jacket, a vest, along in addition to a base layer. Whereas I just have a base layer and a puffy jacket. Overall I felt I was warmer with just base layer/puffy coat combo than when I used a base layer/vest/softshell combo and quite a bit lighter as well. Its oh so nice to throw on the puffy gear first thing in the morning to eat breakfast rather than shivering in a vest huddling around my bowl of oatmeal wanting to get hiking for the sole purpose of not freezing my hiney off.

However, when I go to Kodiak for 3 weeks this October for 2 different goat hunts I'll be taking my puffy coat AND puffy Kelvin vest. :D

You vest only guys what do you do when you stop to glass when its below freezing out or even stop to setup camp for the night?? Hurry about making camp so you can climb in the bed?

A vest+softshell jacket (Kuiu vest is 11 oz and the Kuiu Guide jacket is 22 oz) is considerably heavier than a simply 10-20 oz (depending on the model) puffy jacket and not nearly as warm, atleast this has been my experience.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Haha, you have to remember Luke you are in a much different climate :) they both have their place so get both :)

I prefer vest but I take a vest then a wool jacket (fl labrador) and then this year if just sitting a rain jacket works wonder for keeping you warm.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I realize that to an extent, but even in August up here when temps can swing from 75 degrees to 25 degrees I bring a puffy coat over vest. I am sure September in CO at 10K' is the same deal so the temps are very similar I would imagine and climates aren't that different at that point, but most of you prefer vests it seems so I am just wondering what you guys do when it gets down to 40 or so degrees in the mornings which can happen at anytime in CO at that elevation from what I gather. A base layer and vest certainly wouldn't cut it for me. Granted the much heavier system of vest and softshell jacket might, but the warmth to weight of a puffy far exceed a simple vest and softshell IMO.

Squatch

FNG
I am blessed with a natural winter coat and a layer of blubber so I'll guess that adds to my insulation... :)

When temps hit 40-ish I add a merino top between my base and vest and am covered until things get below freezing. At that point, I'll start considering the windproof fleece hoodie in place of the vest. Pretty much the same plan if I'm hunting a stand.

This is one area that I accept the heavier alternative since I'm a cheapskate and I already own a system that works for me.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Dotman, I was thing about getting the labrador jacket. How durable is it? Have you used it much as an outer layer?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like sleeves on my insulating layers, but I have really come to love the Kuiu Guide vest. Combined with a sleeved insulating layer it really works well.

dotman

WKR
I realize that to an extent, but even in August up here when temps can swing from 75 degrees to 25 degrees I bring a puffy coat over vest. I am sure September in CO at 10K' is the same deal so the temps are very similar I would imagine and climates aren't that different at that point, but most of you prefer vests it seems so I am just wondering what you guys do when it gets down to 40 or so degrees in the mornings which can happen at anytime in CO at that elevation from what I gather. A base layer and vest certainly wouldn't cut it for me. Granted the much heavier system of vest and softshell jacket might, but the warmth to weight of a puffy far exceed a simple vest and softshell IMO.

I just throw on an extra layer if needed when sitting but if hiking it really isn't needed for me, I also run warm so really a warmer base under the vest makes a diff. I take both the FL Llano and Chama, run a vest on top and am comfortable. If I get cold then i'll put the labrador on (fleece in past years). If raining then it depends on if I am hiking or not what is under the rain jacket. The rain jacket and labrador will be new this year but I really have not had an issue staying warm in Sep. Come later in the year when treestand hunting here in KC once in the stand I wear Cabelas wooltimate with windshear.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Dotman, I was thing about getting the labrador jacket. How durable is it? Have you used it much as an outer layer?

I have only had it a short time (since jan) I don't know about long term durability but my base layers have lasted. I really don't see me using it much in CO unless i'm sitting glassing. Last year I only used a fleece under my vest and it worked great so the labrador should work really well. I am not a fan of softshell jackets and didn't use the one I had last year once.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on man!! Sounds like you got it dialed in for what works for you. Thats the great thing about going often is tailoring what you bring based on what you know works for you vs. somebody else.

I just like to keep it simple with a base layer, insulating layer, and rain gear. I have found (out the expensive way) that its lighter, warmer, less expensive, and simplier for me to just run a simple base layer, a puffy coat, and a rain coat and use those three as a combo depending on the weather and my activities. Like I said it only has to work for me, so I'll take a simple 3 layer system over guys carrying 4-6 layers any day, less crap to buy and carry. :D

dotman

WKR
Yup and winter testing of the labrador did well, now we had a mild winter but I really feel good about dropping the fleece. Now I would probably change it up hunting in AK due to the constant moisture issue I hear about. I agree this is tailored to me and not going to work for all.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Also I plan my layering around temp swings from 15 - 90.

In August/Sept up here I plan for the same, though once you get above 60 degrees you can't get much less than a base layer :) Sounds like you wouldn't have to curtail your system too much for coming up to Alaska. What you use down there would likely be just fine I am sure. September you can see 15-70 degrees easily on the same trip so you'll be more than ok with all them layers you haul along. :D