Jagdterrier owners let's talk.......

MJB

WKR
I didn't see a dog forum so wanted to see how popular they are now.

I won't own another hunting dog other than a Jagd!

IMG_20210515_204308.jpg

Popular? I run in the German Draht circles.....and the only two I've ever seen were up in Cranbrook BC. Not sure you'll find another owner on here.

Been enamored by them for years. But I simply don't think I could ever handle one. I like some wildlife around my property. I don't think they'd leave a critter alive that weighs under 100 pounds.

go_deep

WKR
I had a half Jagd, half Jack. He was one of most badass dog I've ever owned. He could take anything on and win.

OP
MJB

MJB

WKR
Popular? I run in the German Draht circles.....and the only two I've ever seen were up in Cranbrook BC. Not sure you'll find another owner on here.

Been enamored by them for years. But I simply don't think I could ever handle one. I like some wildlife around my property. I don't think they'd leave a critter alive that weighs under 100 pounds.
They are not that bad but you do have to break them.
Mine know not to kill the chickens at the campo but the pheasants are good to go!

OP
MJB

MJB

WKR
I hunt deer, yotes, bears, coons, pigs, bobcats and lions with them.
As for birds I'm a huge pheasant guy and hunt them in baja really hard. They will give me 3 days of bird hunting from sun up to sun down, then they need a day or two to recover.

I have guys that use them as cattle or sheep dogs. I've seen one stop a 2k bull in it's track as it saved a cowboy from that charge.
I've seen 2 take a donkey down.

I also predator call with them and have killed yotes I didn't know were there but the dog tipped me off. I've also used them as a lure for yotes, but they have their own way of hunting yotes.
The dog will go and attack the yote/s then run off trying to get the yote to follow. The dog will hide waiting for the single yote to come by then the dog attacks the yote going for the mouth, throat or disembowel them.

They are a terrier with an on/off hunting lap dog switch which is nice. But you need to be the pack leader!

IMG_9103.jpegThese are the pair of demons I encountered in BC. Owned by a super fine gunsmith that worked in Germany fitting Heym rifles. Now (was) a big game/Grizzly guide in BC. These two were working over ground squirrel holes. I believe he needed to carry the dogs off to the pickup when it was time. Zero Quit.