Javalina Tag unit 34 B in AZ...Advice...

IZZY

FNG
I am relatively new to hunting, will be doing a DIY javalina hunt in 34 B since I was able to get one of the OTC tags for general season javalina in this unit...the issue right now is am still overseas with the military should be back in time for the hunt, but not sure how much scouting I will be getting in...I have been using the AZGFD map to do some cyber scouting, but will like boots on the ground. So far I have about 4-5 spots picked out, but will just like some other ideas from people that have hunted this area. You can PM me if you want...I am not looking for anyone's honeyholes, just want to confirm what I have and get some tips...I have been to javalinahunter.com and read everything I can get my hands on...although I have the opportunity to get two javis, I am only going for one, will be seeing how it goes, and will let you all know how I did...thanks for the help in advance.

Happy New Year..

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seem to think Javelinas are like elk, they are where you find them. No rhyme or reason. I have been in 34b about 6 years ago and ran into javelinas about every other day.

Once you find them don't be afraid to grunt at them and try calling them. Not cold calling, but calling once you locate them.

shaun

WKR
X2 on the calling I have seen a group of Javeline circle an area when they were running away to come back and fight.

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
I have read about the calling of Javalinas, and I see that more people support it...it will be in my tool bag for the hunt...thanks...

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
What kind of call were you using..? I have heard a lot about the scent gland, even got me a cheap knife to do nothing but cut that thing off as soon as I get my hands on one of the javis..

shaun

WKR
What kind of call were you using..? I have heard a lot about the scent gland, even got me a cheap knife to do nothing but cut that thing off as soon as I get my hands on one of the javis..

We were using just your standard predator mouth call. I dont remember the name off the top of my head but I am sure any would work. You have to blow it harder than you would calling coyotes they respond very well to the higher pitch of the call. My advise on scent gland. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!! I have never smelt something soo rank in my life haha. I wouldnt even cut it off I would just skin it off. It looks like a nipple on their back

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any rabbit type call will work, avoid the smaller sounding calls like mouse etc. no trick either, blow hard and they come in pissed.

Generally the very old and very young javelina stay behind but all the adults come charging. It doesn't hurt to stand on a rock or elevated platform of sw type. Ed F and I called them in and we had to keep them at bay by using our bows to keep them off us.

We were using just your standard predator mouth call. I dont remember the name off the top of my head but I am sure any would work. You have to blow it harder than you would calling coyotes they respond very well to the higher pitch of the call. My advise on scent gland. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!! I have never smelt something soo rank in my life haha. I wouldnt even cut it off I would just skin it off. It looks like a nipple on their back
Yes avoid the gland!!!!! try not to even press on it or anything just simply avoid it lol I'm glad someone chimed this in its a horrible rank smell