Javelina for a first timer?

I have decided to try something new for hunting each year. My next adventure into the unknown is for Javelina, stink pigs, peccary in Arizona. I drew a tag for an area that AZ Game and Fish recommended with higher populations of pigs (I know that they are technically not pigs).

I have a couple of questions. I drew a limited entry permit that will allow me to hunt with weapon of my choice, so I can use a rifle. If you had a choice of any caliber to hunt these things with, what would you choose? They aren't huge, so I imagine you could take one with about anything bigger than a .223. I have an old .25-20 that my great uncle used to use to poach deer with during the Depression and I've never had a chance to hunt with. Would that be too light? Or should I go with something that can reach out and touch them?

What about calling? Anyone have any success with calling them? Do they call back, or come in silently?

Finally, I've read contradictory information on removing the scent gland while skinning. Some sources say cut it out first, others say leave it alone and it will come off with the hide.

Thanks for any help.

jspradley

WKR
.223 will kill them real dead so your .25-06 will kill them super dead. They a really small animals, a 50lb Javi is a monster.

They are also really easy to get close to so no need to worry about range. In fact they are pretty much perfect for archery if that's your thing.

I've never used a call but from everything I've read and heard they pretty much come in hot and ready to kill shit if you use a distress call. I want to try that one day!

As far as the stink gland, I didn't cut mine off, i just made really sure not to let the good from it touch the meat, I can only imagine cutting it off will greatly increase your chances of getting the stank on the meat. Just be mindful of touching the hide and the meat with the same hand and you should be fine. Javi meat is dang tasty, its life changing hot smoked!

Don't listen to anyone who tells you they are inedible and kick anyone in the dick who tells you they are rodents. lol

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!!

jspradley

WKR
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Man I hear so much crap about Javis here in TX... I've had several folks tell me they are a type of elephant too.

Ah my bad I know nothing about the .25-20 but I suspect it would be just fine for one of those little critters.

I really enjoyed the ones I've had, it's different than pork, tastes vaguely of prickly pear. But if you get that musk on the meat you will be really sad.

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, 25-20 would work just great, that would be a perfect opportunity to use the old rifle. I’ve killed one with a 22wmr, it worked like a champ.

Just like anything else skin it carefully to not contaminate the meat, and get the carcass cooled quickly. definitely would recommend against cutting the gland out, that’ll be a good way to create a mess that you’re trying to avoid.

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
Most the time my calling runs them off, but a few times has brought them charging in, it’s a rush!

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I can't wait for Javelina season! My favorite hunt of the year!

Javelina are a tenacious critter, with a reputation similar to a warthog, so I would use the Africa mentality, and use a .375 H&H at MINIMUM. A high quality double rifle in the realm of 12 or 13lbs should be sufficient to carry around the Arizona bush

Or, you can take a nice svelte .22 Magnum rifle and knock one over. Anything smaller than that isn't legal. I think that .25-20 would be an awesome choice for a pig (Tayassuidae, it's basically a New World pig, it's like separating New World Monkeys from Old World, or Republicans from Democrats)

Calling can be effective, but it's really good for turning back pigs you may have spooked and are headed out. The gnarliest squalling on a call will make them turn so hard they'll almost go inside out, and give you another chance at them. Blind calling can be useful, but more times than not, it's better to be used as a secret weapon later.

Some folks like to cut out the scent gland completely, but not necessary, as tubing out the hide will remove it anyway. Cutting it out on it's own puts your blade right at it, and I'd rather keep it simple. The biggest thing I like doing is swapping the knife/blade I'm using once the skinning is done and use the fresh/clean one for breaking it down.

I actually enjoy eating javelina, and don't take much to heart when folks tell me "horror stories" about cooking and eating them, it's the same stories I've heard all my life about ducks, geese, antelope, bear etc...it's more about how you treat it both in the field and at home that really decides how an animal will taste

Good luck this season!

OP
Gunnersdad49
Awesome, thank you!

I was tempted to try with a bow, but the guy I'm going with is a rifle guy, and the bow mentality doesn't work when he is around.

He does have a really nice .450 Nitro Express in a custom double rifle that I can shoot pretty well . . .

I'm just really excited to chase something I've never hunted before. Thank you all for the good information. I've always loved that .25-20, and am pretty consistent at hitting a copenhagen can at 50 yards with it off hand, so it is getting dusted off for some range time before the trip!

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I remember when I first started hunting pigs I had the hardest time trying to figure out where they were. I would find sign and tracks, but no pigs. After a couple years of no success, I went down to the local library and read everything I could about javelina. The following season I was armed and determined to find these pigs. It didn't take me long to find a herd while scouting. Opening morning of the archery season had me glassing the hillside where I had found them earlier. I found them within the first ten minutes and made my move. Twenty minutes later I had my first pig on the ground. After that season, it was almost easy to locate them.

Samkha

FNG
.223 will kill them real dead so your .25-06 will kill them super dead. They a really small animals, a 50lb Javi is a monster.

They are also really easy to get close to so no need to worry about range. In fact they are pretty much perfect for archery if that's your thing.

I've never used a call but from everything I've read and heard they pretty much come in hot and ready to kill shit if you use a distress call. I want to try that one day!

As far as the stink gland, I didn't cut mine off, i just made really sure not to let the good from it touch the meat, I can only imagine cutting it off will greatly increase your chances of getting the stank on the meat. Just be mindful of touching the hide and the meat with the same hand and you should be fine. Javi meat is dang tasty, its life changing hot smoked!

Don't listen to anyone who tells you they are inedible and kick anyone in the dick who tells you they are rodents. lol

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!!

Hahaha bro I’m dead.

Stalker69

WKR
Any kind of rifle will be to easy, even a black powder rifle. Although if I was going to use a firearm it would be a black powder. They are made for bow hunting, it is my favorite thing to hunt. A pistol would be kinda cool to shoot one with also. But heck a 22 or 22 mag to the side of the head would be super easy. It would be cool to use that old rifle, I take it open sights ? They are very fun to hunt, scent gland will come right off with the hide no worries. They make good sausage and tamales.

Beendare

WKR
Javi's are made for bowhunting. Great for stalking....jumpy suckers though. I've had more than a few jump my string with my recurve on a dead quiet day.

Javi's are the one animal you can sleep in...they are more active after the sun is up.

I re-glove after skinning...and wipe my knife down with a wipe and hydrogen peroxide. That musk gets in their hide....pretty sticky stuff.

OP
Gunnersdad49
Stalker69, it is open sights.

I would bow hunt them, but the guy I'm going with is a rifle guy and sucks at being sneaky. I've tried archery stalking with him in tow and it's kind of like bringing a 6 year old with ADHD and a tin can full of marbles for a walk after a couple of Snickers and Red Bulls.

Stalker69

WKR
Tell him to stay back, way back, and video tape you ! Just kidding, that rifle should be very very cool to get one with. Post pictures when you get um.