Javelina for a first timer?

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
I second the bow hunting, javelina are an excellent way to practice your spot and stalk archery skills. That being said rifle hunting them is a lot of fun, you don’t need alot of rifle and you can get as close as you want if your experienced stalker. We never cut the gland just skin carefully and handle with care! People that say they are inedible are full of it! Just like people that don’t eat Bass. Just silly! You will have a blast hunting javelina, one of my favorite

Stalker69

WKR
If you treat the meat right, get it cooled down ( dry) frozen ASAP they are fine to eat. We make sausage and tamales out of them and they are great. People at work love it to, they offer to pay for some if I would bring it. And none of them even hunt. Problem is you don’t get much meat off those suckers, but in Texas you get two per lic. We carry coolers with frozen milk jugs out in the field when we go, as soon as we get them down, hide comes off, quartered placed in game bags, placed in cooler. Get back to camp through them straight in the freeze. Thaw out and process when we get home. Funnest things to hunt there Is, imo. If you don’t treat the meat correctly, it will taste bad, just like any other meat. If it taste bad you did something wrong, find out what your doing wrong, so next time it’s better.

FLAK

WKR
Wont be long we'll be in southern NM trying to fill my sons tag.
I'll be carrying a fur tag myself, bucket list stuff ya know!!!
Would love to bring back a NM Bobcat and Badger.

I have a hard time fathoming having to draw a tag for a Javi.

Anyways, they are the most fun to hunt with archery or even pistol calibers. I’ve killed them as class as 5 yards with 32 long colt. Archery is the most fun.

They arent bad to eat just be real careful around that stink gland in the back. Get into that and you will darn near perfect a wanton waste ticket.

Dadof3

FNG
I remember when I first started hunting pigs I had the hardest time trying to figure out where they were. I would find sign and tracks, but no pigs. After a couple years of no success, I went down to the local library and read everything I could about javelina. The following season I was armed and determined to find these pigs. It didn't take me long to find a herd while scouting. Opening morning of the archery season had me glassing the hillside where I had found them earlier. I found them within the first ten minutes and made my move. Twenty minutes later I had my first pig on the ground. After that season, it was almost easy to locate them.
My 10 and 14 year old son drew javelina tags in Arizona. If you have any advice I’m trying to shorten the learning curve and increase the odds of success. We have 17a, 17b 20a 20b & 23 to hunt.