Jeep Gladiator.....good investment?

USMC-40

WKR
Gladiators are cool, but the ZR2 has the edge in my opinion. Have 16k miles on my 2018 diesel ZR2 (in OD green). Put a camper shell and carhart seat covers on it and it’s set. It’s a street legal side by side

Gladiators are cool, but the ZR2 has the edge in my opinion. Have 16k miles on my 2018 diesel ZR2 (in OD green). Put a camper shell and carhart seat covers on it and it’s set. It’s a street legal side by side

Have they fixed the airbags going off when your side hilling yet?

fmyth

WKR
The GM for the largest Jeep dealership here in the PHX valley told me he can't give them away right now. I wanted one but it wouldn't tow my trailer.

OP
H
The GM for the largest Jeep dealership here in the PHX valley told me he can't give them away right now. I wanted one but it wouldn't tow my trailer.

Ugh..I was afraid I was going to hear that kind of general feedback on the Gladiator. Might just stick to what my gut is staying and stick this truck out for the next 10ish years before buying a new one. At then I can make this ‘18 my hunting truck and get a half ton as a everyday driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the guys I work with has one, his is a sport model with the max tow PKG and his is rated for like 7700 lbs tow capacity, he loves it getting something like 22 mpg back and forth to work which is all highway, I got to take it for a spin and it rides way better than my jku and gets 5 mpg better. Around here in mid Michigan they can't keep them on the lot at dealers. But like the others say it's an expensive ride but in true jeep fashion they will hold their value for sure, the lease options on them are pretty reasonable from the looks of things

h2so4

WKR
a few things- I own a stock ‘15 JKUR and put it through its paces in Colorado ( Black Bear, Imogene, Mineral Creek/ Engineer Pass) and Moab (fins and things, poison spider and a few others) all successfully. I’d say the jeeps can do a lot stock, especially the rubicon.
The new gladiator has better transmission/ engine options. It will be a pleasure on and off road.
It, along with all wrangler products, are way overpriced. I paid $37.5k for mine brand new and it didn’t even come with insulation in the floor or roof. They are not made for creature comforts- even basic ones. You pay a premium for the name and less in actual features.

Anyway- if your family is full of custom car builders- keep the comfy Toyota and build a REAL gladiator from 60’s or 70’s. V8 power, killer looks, etc. those restomods are perfect for overlanding.

Attachments

• BE3B9886-9489-468D-8A94-6AB3D471FC93.jpeg
    BE3B9886-9489-468D-8A94-6AB3D471FC93.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 90
If your from motor head roots why not buy a 1970's CJ 5. Easy to work on, and as reliable as any Jeep. You can buy them pretty cheap. Keep the Yota as a daily driver. Jeeps have a single purpose, that is to go slow over rough terrain. They are not comfortable. They do not get good mpg. They are loud.
If you want a fun truck get a F150 with the Eco boost twin turbo in Lariat package, spool up the turbo in heated leather seats as you blow by the Jeeps in style and comfort.

OP
H
I have considered taking a different route and just selling the Tacoma(I’m sitting on about 55k private sell as is currently) and just getting a half ton as a daily driver. Then getting an older Jeep or 4Runner and letting my old man help me make a killer rig for hunting instead.

OP
H
a few things- I own a stock ‘15 JKUR and put it through its paces in Colorado ( Black Bear, Imogene, Mineral Creek/ Engineer Pass) and Moab (fins and things, poison spider and a few others) all successfully. I’d say the jeeps can do a lot stock, especially the rubicon.
The new gladiator has better transmission/ engine options. It will be a pleasure on and off road.
It, along with all wrangler products, are way overpriced. I paid $37.5k for mine brand new and it didn’t even come with insulation in the floor or roof. They are not made for creature comforts- even basic ones. You pay a premium for the name and less in actual features.

Anyway- if your family is full of custom car builders- keep the comfy Toyota and build a REAL gladiator from 60’s or 70’s. V8 power, killer looks, etc. those restomods are perfect for overlanding.

Dang that is sexy!!!

OP
H
If your from motor head roots why not buy a 1970's CJ 5. Easy to work on, and as reliable as any Jeep. You can buy them pretty cheap. Keep the Yota as a daily driver. Jeeps have a single purpose, that is to go slow over rough terrain. They are not comfortable. They do not get good mpg. They are loud.
If you want a fun truck get a F150 with the Eco boost twin turbo in Lariat package, spool up the turbo in heated leather seats as you blow by the Jeeps in style and comfort.

I was actually looking at maybe an old Comanche or Pre-Tacoma possibly.

I’m pretty convinced by this point that there is really no major “pros” to me selling my rig for a Gladiator. Might keep the taco or sell for a half ton and build something instead.

treillw

WKR
only to discover its unreliable or it’s value vanishes overnight.

I've been searching for a 4 door wrangler for a while and it's to me how expensive they are used. I would say they hold their value pretty well.

16Bore

WKR
Serious first world problem. The 4x4 Jeepmoor....who’da thunk it.

Those CO trails are pretty much 2wd roads except for a few exceptions. I get a kick out of all the really over built Jeeps up there and then a family in a van comes through. Awesome rig though.

To the OP, investment and Jeep dont belong in the same sentence unless you have something really special. More like money pit. If you like it buy it. They all lose money.

OP
H
Those CO trails are pretty much 2wd roads except for a few exceptions. I get a kick out of all the really over built Jeeps up there and then a family in a van comes through. Awesome rig though.

To the OP, investment and Jeep dont belong in the same sentence unless you have something really special. More like money pit. If you like it buy it. They all lose money.

Appreciated man! Seriously to all you guys, thanks for the info, the tough love and advice. Think I will “kill” this idea from going any further.

Ironically I just got off the phone with a hunter that is a mentor of mine and i look up to. He pretty much told me either keep the Tacoma and run it till the wheels fall of THEN figure out your next route. OR sell it as is private seller, get a half ton that suits your needs...well really wants, considering the absolute insane amount of bells and whistles all of these new trucks have. Then go find a banged up late 90’s-early 2000’s 4Runner and make a dedicated hunting rig.