Jeep Gladiator.....good investment?

OP
H
I never thought of myself as sexy while crushing trails in my stock rubi, but I’ll take it. Thanks!

Haha I meant the picture of the Jeep you added on there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2so4

WKR
Those CO trails are pretty much 2wd roads except for a few exceptions. I get a kick out of all the really over built Jeeps up there and then a family in a van comes through. Awesome rig though.

Lol. I don’t think CO trails are anything as extreme as Moab or other off road Mecca’s, but you’re welcome to try a 2wd on black bear or mineral creek. I’ll watch (from in front).

OP
H
Lol. I don’t think CO trails are anything as extreme as Moab or other off road Mecca’s, but you’re welcome to try a 2wd on black bear or mineral creek. I’ll watch (from in front).

Haha I agree!! I know plenty of trails that I pull my overland Taco over and let the jeepers go crawling. There is only so much “flexin” my taco is doing compared to a Jeep.

As I said, a few exceptions. Nothing hard about Engineer pass or really any other of the main roads around there.

J_ust E_mpty E_ver P_ocket...
As a 30 yr jeep owner I will say no way no how is any Jeep and "Investment". I dont understand Jeep anymore...What made Jeep cool is they were small would go anywhere any they were cheap...Today they are long and getting longer and anything but cheap.
But Damn they look cool...
20190617_192346.jpg

If you want a Jeep buy one drive it and enjoy it but dont BS yourself it's an investment. Buying is just beginning then you find out about companies like Morris/Quadratec and all the Jeep stuff you cant live without...Just Empty Every Pocket.
YMMV..Good Luck!

Last edited:
I would think regardless of mods it would be hard to sell any Tacoma for 55k. I have a 19 OR but I got the manual and I’m pretty content. I would like sliders and OVtune and call it good. I plan to keep mine.

I 100% agree with you on the “boring” aspect of the Tacoma. I honestly can’t say there is really anything wrong with the truck but it’s just “Egh”. Plus the shifting does drive me bonkers sometimes.

yeah, I wonder what it is... can't put my finger on the "why" they tow more, faster, smoother ride.... pretty much better in every single aspect, mine is cement, and I like the looks of it, just kinda boring to drive.

if you do end up going the 1/2 ton route, at least drive a tundra (with the 5.7L of course) because that was a fun pickup to drive. it felt more like a quick car.... comfortable too.

a 1/2 ton and a little woods/play rig isn't a bad option. since you folks are car savvy, have you considered building a samurai? I have always wanted one, but they get expensive if you aren't mechanically inclined... but if you are, and you can do the work, they are a cool option.

Squincher

WKR
Who buys a truck for something exciting and entertaining to drive? Keep the truck for truck stuff and get something exciting and entertaining for that. I find a Triumph Speed Triple fills that niche nicely.

h2so4

WKR
Cruising on some 2wd roads... passed a stock Chrysler town and country going up pearl pass.

Attachments

• DECF782F-FD53-42FF-8017-4CCB9418EB3F.jpeg
    DECF782F-FD53-42FF-8017-4CCB9418EB3F.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 7AA82CDC-4AC5-42C2-8CEF-9C5F9987D2A6.jpeg
    7AA82CDC-4AC5-42C2-8CEF-9C5F9987D2A6.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 1F17F5F9-EF44-4F8E-B5BA-86ABC423211C.jpeg
    1F17F5F9-EF44-4F8E-B5BA-86ABC423211C.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 692EB4D5-D692-436A-AA31-D0F241D76D9F.jpeg
    692EB4D5-D692-436A-AA31-D0F241D76D9F.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 41
The lifted ones are so sexy!!!
1071a9296b09bf999d8e869eaf53c8c2.jpg

No offense intended, but I find that vehicle hideous...and I’d be kinda embarrassed driving it around.
Can’t stand the ‘Jeep thing’ phrases plastered on the windshield, too lol.
My buddy has two newer built up Jeeps and they’re the most expensive POS’s I’ve been in. They are surely off-road capable, but loud, rattling and uncomfortable. MPG is ridiculous too, but lifted, regeared and big tires don’t help

Taco’s are a dime a dozen here...literally everywhere. Super high demand for ‘12-‘15 second gens.
They’re just so reliable and capable.

I enjoy driving my 2nd gen..but it’s a manual.
That and I drove my first gen for 24 years lol, and still have the dang thing...it just won’t die.

Hey everyone I’m heavily considering pulling the plug on anymore Tacoma vehicles. Before anyone says “it’s way more reliable” I totally believe you and have confidence in that statement. Considering I have over a million miles between an ‘88 Toyota PU, ‘03 SR5 and a ‘11 TRDOR. However I have a ‘18 TRDPRO Overland Build but even after all the add ons, lift, etc.. it’s just lack luster and boring. Reliable yes!....fun, exciting to drive or entertaining? No.... I come from a motor head family. Old man builds custom muscle cars for a living and we love our vehicles, but we also love driving them and want to enjoy the “driving experience” of them.

I honestly don’t know squat about Jeeps, their performance or reliability’s. However after not even considering them over my Tacoma’s I’m honestly very intrigued in the Gladiator. I prefer mid size trucks, I would absolutely love to have one of the new Rams however I honestly don’t “need” a full size truck. Plus I love the maneuverability of a mid size on some of the tight logging and forestry roads I take for hunting.

Any advice on the new Jeep would be appreciated!

Thanks guys and girls!

No vehicles are "good investments" other than possibly classics and collector vehicles; which even then are questionable as good. All vehicles, except ultra rarities like, Bugatti Veyrons etc. will depreciate horribly and should not be considered investments, but liabilities. I think it's safe to say that Toyotas typically less of a liability than most vehicles because of their slower than normal rate of depreciation, but I know that Jeeps, especially the ones where the price is more determined from mechanical parts, as opposed to electronics, tend to hold their values better than average and are less of a liability than most.

First as far as the term investment goes the answer is definitely not. It’s going to plummet in value. In my personal opinion as much as I hate to say it I would stick with the yotas. In my experience and opinion Chrysler trucks and suvs are just not as reliable or good as even Chevy or Ford.

If you want a truck buy a truck, and if you want a Jeep buy an old CJ or a wrangler and beat it up. I have owned 3 wranglers in the past and all did well as hunting rigs. But they were loud, sucked gas, and were uncomfortable.

if you want a Jeep that goes up in value, buy a Willys MB or Ford GPW pre 1946. My 1942 GPW goes up in value every year....but it is not a hunting rig.

Attachments

• 21C1CC5C-0409-4F17-9BB3-3161E8741AEC.jpeg
    21C1CC5C-0409-4F17-9BB3-3161E8741AEC.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 24

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I get the whole logic, “it’s a turd but it will be a turd for a million miles” but I’m honestly burnt on that. There is just nothing exciting about the truck when I hop in.

My buddy has a '46 Willy's. Top speed is about 40mph. Nothing exciting about it at all, but it's fantastic when you need a 4wd.

I still love driving my '89 Toyota even with the power loss from age. What exactly is this "excitement" you're looking for in a truck????