Jeeze... Lighten up.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
So my tripod (Vortex STX) weighs 4lbs 12oz, and my pistol grip ball head (Vanguard-100) weighs in at 1 lb 10.5 oz.

Not gonna lie. You're not going to catch me packing my 6lb 6.6oz tripod in the backcountry. I've been making a huge effort to downsize lately and I just don't need this heavy of a tripod anymore. I used to use it for long range shooting with a huge spotter or to shoot off of and it was great.

Considering selling everything and just going with a lightweight tripod for binos, and possibly picking up a Vortex Razor 50mm or something similar.

What would you recommend for an affordable but light backcountry tripod for the aformentioned purpose?

Which head would you run?

Thanks!

Broomd

WKR
Outdoorsman$ with a pistol grip or pan...

Or..... skip the formality and go with a 4 oz. pedco or gorilla pod (both ounces)... cheap but git er done.

Silk 624 and a cheap/light ball head. Should cut your weight by half. If you got the cash an Outdoorsman Micro panhead is pretty slick.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Silk 624 and a cheap/light ball head. Should cut your weight by half. If you got the cash an Outdoorsman Micro panhead is pretty slick.

This ^^^^^^^^. I run the slik 634 with the micro pan head from outdoorsman and it is one piece of gear that I never think about upgrading.

Randy

Tsnider

WKR
vortex ss can be real cheap used and paired with the befree fluid head it handles my 65 perfectly, even with the weight of the iphone7s plus attached.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I dont trade gear for weight. Camping stuff all light weight. Spotter and tripod I go for stability and quality weight is not a factor in those decisions.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

RyanC

WKR
Check out Steve Specks store S and S archery. He carries the Slik 624, Slik 634, and Promaster 525c and does a video review of each. These 3 tripods are very good quality and won't break the bank. I went with the Promaster 525c after researching (including Brock Akers' review on here) finding it to be a great tripod. Match it up with a quality head and you'll be set.

warrior80

WKR
Check out Steve Specks store S and S archery. He carries the Slik 624, Slik 634, and Promaster 525c and does a video review of each. These 3 tripods are very good quality and won't break the bank. I went with the Promaster 525c after researching (including Brock Akers' review on here) finding it to be a great tripod. Match it up with a quality head and you'll be set.
^^^^ this. Also went with the Promaster 525c from S&S with the Benro S2 head. It's a very nice setup. They now have a Slik CF 522 tripod which looks nice as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Also went with the Promaster 525C. The ball head it comes with is perfectly good for bingo or 50mm spotter use as well. I have the Befree fluid head now, but if I'm only doing bio work I bring the ball head. Cameraland NY often has demo 525C's for $250.

mcseal2

WKR
I run either the Promaster 525 mentioned above or an Outdoorsmans compact medium depending on how much height I need. Both are about 2lbs and excellent tripods. I have both adapted to take the Outdoorsmans attachments. I tried the micro head and decided I like the standard pan head enough better to pack the extra 4oz. I like having separate pan and tilt controls for grid glassing, and the bigger controls and longer lever that make glassing with heavy gloves or mittens easier.