Jerky in the dehydrator

Going to make another batch of jerky out of elk burger and was hoping to get some input. The last batch I made turned out super chewy. Not sure if it is from over cooking or not. Have a Cabelas brand dehydrator. Not super experienced with dehydrators in general. Any tips would be greatly appreciated to making some good jerky. Recipes, length of cooking, temp? Thanks!

Clarence

WKR
It is easy to do with elk burger jerky. Don't dry it as hard. When checking it, keep in mind it will get harder when it cools.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Buy one of these. I’ve done several dozen animals with one over the past 15 years and it’s hard to beat. I use the Nesco dehydrator with extra trays and finish it off in the oven. The “slim Jim” type nozzle is money.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the LEM products. Following their directions, it always seems to turn out good. Are you drying at 165 degrees and for how long? Also, depending on how you make yours, be sure to allow the burger time to cure as the directions state. Time and Temp with the dehydrators is a big factor. I've found some work much better than others.

JJ8277

FNG
I use an Excalibur dehydrator for my jerky. Usually run it at 135-145 degrees for anywhere from 8-12 hours depending on the thickness of the meat and how dry I want it to be.

bpietila

FNG
This is something I have noticed as well. Keep an eye on it and I try to take it out before I think its done.
It is easy to do with elk burger jerky. Don't dry it as hard. When checking it, keep in mind it will get harder when it cools.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I use elk steaks and back straps, I run it on 145 and mine is done in two hours! I tried a thousand times experimenting with different times and temps and for some reason mine just works fast and in a second will be hard! I think the thickness and spacing has a lot to do with it, also I really likes marinating mine overnight and not using a dry rub.

Michael54

WKR
Buy one of these. I’ve done several dozen animals with one over the past 15 years and it’s hard to beat. I use the Nesco dehydrator with extra trays and finish it off in the oven. The “slim Jim” type nozzle is money.

I use the samr nesco dehydrator with a 19mm tube on the sausage stuffer. Lem seasoning and cure packs and then i add smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes. 12.5 hrs on high seems to be perfect i.m.o. i do rotate the trays twice. At 4 hours i rotate tthe bottom trays to the top. At 8 hours i rotate the middle trays to the top.