Jerky Recipes

270Win

FNG
I am going to try making jerky for the first time from my Mule Deer I got in Nevada. Do you guys have any suggestions on good recipes to try out? Thanks!

6t4nova

WKR
I always soaked mine in Jack Daniels or Jim Beam and then dehydrated it...

Another option is to use some soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, liquid smoke, onion and garlic powder.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my easy way of making it......

Slice venison into jerky strips and hit both sides with some mesquite flavoring and Tony Chachere's or your favorite seasoning. The dry mesquite flavor shake seasoning is way better than Liquid Smoke. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight in the fridge to let the seasoning soak in. Hang the meat on the racks in the oven and turn it on about 170 with the door cracked open (wood spoon propping it open). After about 4 hours, you can begin to take out the thinner pieces and leave the thicker pieces in longer until they're done. It's done when the muscle fibers break when you bend the jerky.

You can marinate and/or season with whatever you want to and use this drying method. I just like mesquite and cajun seasoning.

683050473_Tg98F-L.jpg

ckleeves

WKR
I make lots of jerky every year and I almost always use Hi Mountain mixes and smoke it. By the time you buy soy, Worcester, and whatever other seasoning you want to use I'm pretty sure buying the mixes is just about cheaper and I think the flavor is better than most homemade recipes.

OP
270Win

270Win

FNG
Hey thanks guys! I ended up using a mixture of all of these and the jerky turned out great! I thought it would take about 8-12 hours to cook, but it ended up taking only 6 hours.

bbrown

WKR
I use the Hi-country seasoning and then smoke it in my Trager grill for 3-4 hours. I would avoid the Hi-mountain seasonings - they always come out way too salty.