Jet boil

EmperorMA

WKR
In all honesty, any Jetboil made doesn’t hold a candle to the MSR WindBurner in even a 10 mph wind. Kick it up to 15 - 20, and good luck getting your breakfast and coffee done with a Jetboil. The MSR will have both done for you within five minutes or less in those conditions.

The Reactar is even better but heavier.

So, just out of curiosity, how many folks here do their cooking outside of their shelter/vestibule? I see the issue of stoves and wind quite a bit, and was just wondering. Occasionally I'll use my stove outside when conditions are nice, but otherwise, probably 90% of my stove use is inside my shelter (usually floorless). Wind is never an issue or consideration when I'm cooking, or I should say, when I'm boiling water for freeze dried food.

Mike 338

WKR
Been using a Flash for years. A good igniter is heaven sent. What can I say? Light, compact, starts right up, boils fast. If I had to find a down side, it doesn't simmer well and propane/butane mix isn't ideal for melting snow for water although it did that too. Pretty nice kit.

Mike 338

WKR
So, just out of curiosity, how many folks here do their cooking outside of their shelter/vestibule? I see the issue of stoves and wind quite a bit, and was just wondering. Occasionally I'll use my stove outside when conditions are nice, but otherwise, probably 90% of my stove use is inside my shelter (usually floorless). Wind is never an issue or consideration when I'm cooking, or I should say, when I'm boiling water for freeze dried food.

I just about always cook outside. As circumstance would have it, mornings before sunrise and evenings just about dark, the wind dies down which is nice. Only a couple times was wind a problem but I just put the outfit behind a tree and sheltered it with my body. Heck, it's only a couple minutes and you got boiling water so fortunately it's not a long, drawn out issue.

Beendare

WKR
So, just out of curiosity, how many folks here do their cooking outside of their shelter/vestibule? ......

One of my favorite things is rolling over starting my stove and drinking a cup of Joe while still in my bag.

Even in Griz country I cook inside.

Last edited:

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve been running a JB Flash for easily 6 years. Probably close to 20 nites out per year. No issues whatsoever. However, I would like to upgrade to a Sol Ti. ....if anyone has one the wanna sell...

We occasionally do coffee in the tent but nvr food. Most of our time is in bear country and I just hate the idea of make my tent/gear smell like mountain house.

We occasionally do coffee in the tent but nvr food. Most of our time is in bear country and I just hate the idea of make my tent/gear smell like mountain house.
How does using your stove to boil water for freeze dried, make your tent/gear smell like food? So, while in bear country, which I think is pretty much everywhere in AK, you boil all your water, to make your MH meals, outside? Do you do this when it’s raining sideways as well, or even if it’s just windy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
It’s not the boiling water. It’s the food that smells.
Yes, even when the WX is Southeast AK special, we still eat away from the tent.
Sorry, I’m not that’s how everyone should do. I’m just saying it lets me (and my son) sleep better.