Jet boil

00ski00

FNG
I’m new to back country cooking . And recently bought a jet boil. Can you cook ramen noodles with a jet boil ? Just trying to think of easy and cheap things other than the mountain house packs.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m new to back country cooking . And recently bought a jet boil. Can you cook ramen noodles with a jet boil ? Just trying to think of easy and cheap things other than the mountain house packs.
I often eat ramen for a mid day snack. Carefully break the noodle really small, carefully open the package at the seam end add half the season pack, carefully fill with near boiling water, wait,wait, wait until the package is cool enough to pick up and hold in your hands, noodles will soak up almost all the water leaving a snack you can carefully eat with out utensils. Give it a try at home and see if won't work for you in the woods.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I just back from a 7 day backcountry Elk hunt and we ate the Knorr Rice meals with a Chicken or Tuna packet every day for Dinner, and had instant Oatmeal packs for breakfast.

Both worked out great, an were MUCH cheaper than any of the freeze dried meals with lots of different flavors. The rice was definitely better than the noodles, but both worked.

Also make sure you get the packets that cook in 8 minutes or less and I suggest getting an insulite package to let them "cook" in to hold the heat. Also reduces the need for a bowl or plates as you just eat your dinners from the pack and the oatmeal fits in a small metal cup.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup. And that requirement is dumb. Just clutters up the forum with no good coming from it.

Maybe the majority of people don’t realized, Rokslide could care less about the classifieds. This site is 99.9% about the content. The classifieds could go away and we wouldn’t get any of this stupid bitching about the ten posts rule. It still takes a week regardless of how silly the ten posts are.

EastMT

WKR
Yup. And that requirement is dumb. Just clutters up the forum with no good coming from it.

A lot of good coming from it. Ask the guys who’ve been scammed by scammers. There have been a lot of people booted because nonsense posts trying to reach the 10 limit gives them away. Small price to pay to prevent people that aren’t internet savvy from getting hosed.

If you can’t find 10 constructive posts on this forum to post, get to know a few other posters, get known by other posters, then you probably don’t want to sell stuff very bad.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Getting back to the original question... Personally, I hate the kitchen cleaning process. So I only use my pot to boil water and then "cook" in freezer bags which I can then pack out.
Are other folks as adamant as I am / feel the same way?

Or asked from another angle... anyone have advice on best practices for kitchen cleanup if you actually cook in the pot?

Inrutt

FNG
Getting back to the original question... Personally, I hate the kitchen cleaning process. So I only use my pot to boil water and then "cook" in freezer bags which I can then pack out.
Are other folks as adamant as I am / feel the same way?
Regular ziplock freezer bags? I'm looking into a JB. Thanks!