Jet boil

Regular ziplock freezer bags? I'm looking into a JB. Thanks!

Yes, ziplock freezer bags. But from what I've heard, you have to make sure you get the FREEZER BAGs though. The regular Ziplocks are not appropriate. I guess they leech chemicals (BPA, etc) or can melt in boiling water.

There are a lot of recipes online for freezer bag cooking. Basically, they all start with some starch (Minute Rice or CousCous). You add spices and also potentially some dehydrated veggies. You then add protein (chicken, tuna, tofu, etc), either before or after you re hydrate.

You can also use the all in one dehydrated meals (e.g. Mountain House). They are super easy, but get a bit pricey for longer trips. I also find them a bit bulky. So I usually plan instant oatmeal / power bar for breakfast, prepare my own Ziplock meals for lunch, and treat myself to a Mountain House for dinner.

Also, for the stove itself, if I had to start now, I'd absolutely recommend to go with a JetBoil. While a bit bulky, the reviews from folks I know prove again and again they offer the best compromise of ease and efficiency among water boilers.

I still use my old pocket rocket from years ago, but only because it still works fine enough for me to not justify investing in a new JB.

Inrutt

FNG
Not a fan of the disposable fuel canisters and the singularity of purpose or I'd have looked at them more seriously before. Seems hard to beat the efficiency of the system though. Might have to save the frying for car camping.
Appreciate the info!

TommyV10

FNG
I am going on my first CO 2nd season elk hunt this year and just purchased the jetboil, mainly for coffee while I am glassing.

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
Used mine this morning for the first time to make oatmeal. I boiled a second cup of water just to see how fast it was again. We're RV camping so it wasn't necessary but I wanted to use it. I was impressed! As far as clean up I'll probably only use it for powdered drinks and ramen. They should we out fairly easily and completely.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Cb750

FNG
I am going on my first CO 2nd season elk hunt this year and just purchased the jetboil, mainly for coffee while I am glassing.

So are you bringing a second stove? Its seems like you could use it for both.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
You can melt snow but they used to have a titanium model that would lose the heat engagement ring at times with snow. It seemed to need liquid water to keep the temperature down at the base. Snow wouldn't always do that. Hate jet boils warranty and use an MSR Windburner instead personally but you can melt snow in all the ones you can buy today.

As for the Ramen noodle question.... no comment.

I have a JB, Pocket Rocket, WhisperLite, and Reactor. The Reactor boils faster and is more fuel efficient than the JB, but it's a bit heavier if you're counting ounces. If it's winter and I'm melting snow I usually take the WhisperLite.

Teejay

FNG
With the requirement for 10 posts to get access to the classifieds, there are a lot of these simplistic posts showing up. There are usually a bunch from the same person in one day.

LOL. Totally. Only 4 more to go!