Jetboil or not

Hike&Hunt

FNG
I am considering getting one of these, I am currently running a MSR pocket rocket and snow peak titanium pot. I believe my current setup is lighter than a jetboil oz for oz. However, the pocket rocket is slightly slower to boil and much less fuel efficent so over a 10 day trip the jetboil may be the way to go as far as total cooking weight. I am looking at the sol and the sumo, anyone have any experience, thoughts, or opinions on these?

rodney482

WKR
Are you just boiling water?

Both will work great. you are correct about efficiency

I have the Ti Jetboil and love it. ( I only heat water with it )

mtnkid85

WKR
I own the same two stoves. I almost always choose the pocket rocket, with a home made wind screen. Most of my trips are under 6 days, which is plenty for the pocket rocket and one fuel canister.
I do like the form factor/efficiency of the Jetboil... but the weight is what kills it for me.

Love my jetboil, got one for my son and daughter also, 98% of the time, we just boil water. If we're out of camp, jetboil is in your pack, part of our "survival" gear.

I too have both the Pocket Rocket & Jetboil. I really liked my MSR PR until I got the Jetboil Zip (the small cheap one w/o igniter).
It heats the same amount of water in probably 1/2 the time as the PR. And I like how everthing fits in one nice little package.
I do have to admit, only the small fuel canisters will fit inside the pot so I pay a premium for those.
The pot for my PR was sized to fit the larger cheaper coleman cans.
Both do fine, but I like the convience & pack size of the Jetboil and the efficency just means I can get away w/ less fuel.
But I confess, I don't do week long trips so efficeny is less of a deal w/ me.
But mainly all I do is boil water for coffee & to re-hydrate MH & homemade meals.

I still use the PR though, I just moved that kit to a differant pack as a loaner.
And since it uses a large dia pan, sometimes I'll use it in my fishing pack to cook a fish for lunch.
Hunt'nFish

Solitude

WKR
H&H,
Wow, seems to me you need to really figure out how much fuel you would use on a 10 day trip. You are blessed and going on some sweet trips if you are in the backcountry for 10 days straight. (Maybe PM Luke/Becca?)

Typically I am not running solo for over a few days and on a 10day trip with one stove I would definitely make sure my hunting partner and I had 1 extra fuel canister. Heating water, and possibly melting snow or starting a fire may become a very real necessity in a prolonged survival situation.

The MSR PR or either JB's are great products and I would think will serve you well. I am pleased with my JB, but have never pushed it for 10days straight with the intent of minimizing the fuel consumption to save overall pack weight/space, assuming this is what you are trying to determine.

Huh

FNG
For ten days we typically only use 2 (3 max) small fuel canisters for the three people. Typically we use the JetBoil to do dinner every night (3L) and afternoon coffee. I love the simplicity and when combined with a cooking method that includes a bag there are no dishes. The only issue I have with the JetBoil is that they are not as efficient when the canister is cold.

I ran the Jetboil since they came out. Never a bit of problem with it. This year I changed things up. Since all I do is boil water, I went with a SOTO regulator 2.6 oz with micro windscreen .67 oz and GSI tea kettle coming in at 5.8 oz. Much easier to control pouring (holds 1 quart). Verdict is still out, but I think I am going to like this set up.

Snyd

WKR
For one or two guys? For a 2 man water boiler the MSR Reactor is the bomb. We used a Pocket Rocket one year. A fuel hog compared to the Reactor. Reactor doesn't care if the wind is blowing either.

For one or two guys? For a 2 man water boiler the MSR Reactor is the bomb. We used a Pocket Rocket one year. A fuel hog compared to the Reactor. Reactor doesn't care if the wind is blowing either.

Snyd,

I've never really understood the logic of the Reactor on a week long backpack trip. For two people, a pocket rocket + 2 fuel canisters + Ti pot runs me about 29 oz starting wt. Even if the Reactor is twice as efficient and you only need to bring one fuel canister, aren't you still looking at a starting wt of 30+ oz and about 4x as expensive? AND you have to bring most of that weight back, where as I will burn most of mine and have a lighter pack on the return. And on shorter trips (which far outnumber my week long expeditions), I can just go with less fuel and have a lighter weight all around.

I'm not bashing, since I've never tried one.. but I've never seen a reason to try one either. What's the draw? Is it just the convenience you like?

Yk

T43

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my 3rd year with the Jetboil SOL and I'm looking forward to another worry free summer and fall.

Snyd

WKR
Snyd,

I've never really understood the logic of the Reactor on a week long backpack trip. For two people, a pocket rocket + 2 fuel canisters + Ti pot runs me about 29 oz starting wt. Even if the Reactor is twice as efficient and you only need to bring one fuel canister, aren't you still looking at a starting wt of 30+ oz and about 4x as expensive? AND you have to bring most of that weight back, where as I will burn most of mine and have a lighter pack on the return. And on shorter trips (which far outnumber my week long expeditions), I can just go with less fuel and have a lighter weight all around.

I'm not bashing, since I've never tried one.. but I've never seen a reason to try one either. What's the draw? Is it just the convenience you like?

Yk
No worries....

A few years back I wanted to replace my MSR XGK water boiler. I don't do any cold weather below zero winter stuff so didn't really need the white gas. I wanted a more simple system for boiling water for 2 guys. I had used a Pocket Rocket on 2 different sheep hunts and in the tent was ok but on the mtn not so good. The little .75 liter Ti pot meant lots of stove time for hot breakfast and coffee. I've never tried it with a bigger pot but I ruled it out as a "replacement" for the XGK for my wants/needs. I looked at the jetboils and comparisons and at that time the Jetboil took the same amount of time to boil half as much water as the Reactor. Reactor boils over a liter in about 3 mins.

When I bought mine a few years ago I got it locally for about a 100 bucks which was close to the same price as a Pocket Rocket and Ti Pot. And I got them to throw in a can of fuel :D

I never really liked Canister stoves because of the funky inconsistent burn. Having to shake the canister when it was less than half full, etc. But, the Reactor regulates the pressure so it gives a consistent burn right up until the canister is empty.

It's not affected by wind which is another thing I wanted/like. No need for a wind screen. I like to sit on the mtn and have coffee or soup. The Reactor is a no hassle, pull it out, screw it together, turn it on, give it a spark and in 3 mins we've got hot water even if it's blowing 30+.

I like how the stove and fuel fit in the pot and how the lid secures with the handle.

I really haven't found anything I don't like about it. After using it with 2 of my buddies they went out and bought their own. We used my partners last year.

Since I bought mine, Jetboil and I think some other companies have come out with stoves with the pressure regulator for the consistent burn.

Pot and stove weigh 17ozs. Yup, it's a few ozs heavier than the PR/Ti pot but it's a 1.7 L pot. It will boil about 20-25L with one canister if you pay attention and turn it off when the water begins to boil. It's so quick it's easy to burn fuel you don't need to! My partner and I like to drink coffee so we bring extra fuel to feed our habit :D We boil water 3-4 times a day. Basically whenever we want.

When I moose hunt I don't like to cook. But since I ride in on my quad I take some heavy food. I cook up stew, etc. freeze it in ziplock freezer bags. The 1.7L Reactor pot is big enough where I can boil water and toss the food bag in and heat it up.

The only "advantage" I see with the Pocket Rocket is a few ozs lighter but I think it's an apples and oranges thing. They are different setups for different purposes. For 7-10 day sheep hunts with 2 guys the Reactor rocks and it's lighter and simpler than the XGK whitegas stove.

Thanks for the run down Snyd, sounds like you have plenty of reasons and it's a good fit for you

I am also fond of hot coffee and the occasional hot lunch in the field, so my canister stove get used a lot, including pretty much all summer on trips for work and weekend play. All in all its simpler for me to just use the minimum needed to get the job done. Never had an issue on the extended trips either, and I've racked up a few of those, but I can see the perks of the system in those instances.

btw, sent you a PM. Need some local trail info. :)

Yk

Lawnboi

WKR
Just a observation, as I have not used a reactor or JB.

MSR has made a smaller, lighter reactor this year. Might be something to look at as well.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
I love my jetboil. Ive used it for a couple of moose and camping seasons and its never failed me (knock on wood). Im planning to take it this year on a sheep hunt which is more of a true test. I only use it for heating water, both for meals and coffee. Packing gas has never been a problem. Ive always packed a small canister in the cup and a large one in the pack. Use your big bottle in camp and take the small one with you in your day pack.

I absolutely LOVE my JetBoil SOL. I have only used mine to boil water for Mountain House meals as of yet. I can not imagine anything boiling water faster and more efficient than this stove!! The ONLY thing I did not like was the ultrathin neoprene sleeve as it makes for grabbing the cup extremely hot. To fix this problem, I just put a Jetboil ZIP neoprene sleeve on mine. It is a bit thicker and works excellent and I can grab the cup with no glove.

trk3263

WKR
This will be my 3rd year with the Jetboil SOL and I'm looking forward to another worry free summer and fall.

X2

Also check out some of the other Jetboil threads on here. There is one that talks about whether the Ti is worth the extra or not.

I don't use the Ti and almost upgraded but from the info on RS I decided to stay with the normal JB Sol.