Jetboil SOL Temperature Guage?

Vitals

WKR
Jetboil SOL Temperature Gauge?

I just purchased a Jetboil Sol and I noticed that it does not have the temperature gauge on the side of the cup like I am seeing on many of the videos. Even the directions have a temperature gauge on the model. Did I possibly get an older model with new instructions? Has anyone seen this before with there SOL?

Last edited:
OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Do you have the Aluminum or the Ti? I am so confused on what I have now because I watched a video that shows the Ti coming with a sleeve WITHOUT a temp gauge and the pot being of a lighter silver color which I have. The Aluminum comes WITH the gauge and the pot is a darker silver. It seems that I have purchased the Titanium for the price of the Aluminum?

Tell me what you think:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yogThAfyyzU

I have the aluminum version of the SOL and it has the temperature gauge. I recently upgraded to the ti-version and like others have stated it does not have the temp gauge. My only guess is the themperature gauge would work properly with the titanium. Just a guess.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
How long ago did you purchase your aluminum Sol? I spoke with jet boil this morning And she told me that the newest models of each do not come with the temp gauge. They thickened the coozy and added some stitching to the top of it so it did not come off as easy. Does any of this sound accurate to you new Sol owners? I imagine they are ones that were produced in 2013 or maybe late 2012.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Well it seems that I have the new model aluminum with the new coozy. My only uncertainty is if my pot is aluminum or titanium. Videos seem to show the titanium as a lighter silver like mine and a darker silver as the aluminum.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
So I tried your test BH and before it reached 5 minutes I was able to grab onto the pot with no problems, not hot at all. hmm.....

Easy way to tell. Take the coozy off boil water in the pot. Dump water out, and set pot to the side. If the pot is still hot in 5 minutes its aluminum, if its cool its titanium.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Well I weighed the pot without the coozy with a letter scale And it is about 130 grams so I'm guessing its aluminium. it did however cool down super fast like you said titanium would

That gauge is a whole bunch of crap anyway. Actually the whole neoprene cover is. So thin it is hard to handle when hot. I purchased a neoprene cover for the Zip model. It is a tad thicker and makes a world of difference. Absolutely love my JetBoil Sol.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Well jetboil customer service tells me that's one improvement on the ones they have been making since spring '12 ( a thicker coozy and stitching on top and bottom of it. I don't know how long you have owned yours. My real concern of having the ti is the fact that you risk damaging the pot if boiling food or snow. Plus I have read some major complaints and defects of the ti.

That gauge is a whole bunch of crap anyway. Actually the whole neoprene cover is. So thin it is hard to handle when hot. I purchased a neoprene cover for the Zip model. It is a tad thicker and makes a world of difference. Absolutely love my JetBoil Sol.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well jetboil customer service tells me that's one improvement on the ones they have been making since spring '12 ( a thicker coozy and stitching on top and bottom of it. I don't know how long you have owned yours. My real concern of having the ti is the fact that you risk damaging the pot if boiling food or snow. Plus I have read some major complaints and defects of the ti.

The video I posted on the MSR Reactor and SOL TI, shows what can happen with the JB (TI or aluminum) when used heavy or incorrectly. Don't get me wrong, it's a great stove and hard to beat on backpack hunts, but it's not the most durable for sure.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Because of your video Aron I'm definitely going to check out the MSR Reactor when I take it back to verify the material of the pot. My one complaint with the SOL so far is that its not the easiest thing in the world to take the pot of boiling water off the jet. I like how easy it seemed for you to take it off.

The video I posted on the MSR Reactor and SOL TI, shows what can happen with the JB (TI or aluminum) when used heavy or incorrectly. Don't get me wrong, it's a great stove and hard to beat on backpack hunts, but it's not the most durable for sure.

slim9300

WKR

Can you post a link Aron. Apparently I missed it.

slim9300

WKR
Because of your video Aron I'm definitely going to check out the MSR Reactor when I take it back to verify the material of the pot. My one complaint with the SOL so far is that its not the easiest thing in the world to take the pot of boiling water off the jet. I like how easy it seemed for you to take it off.

It's easy once you get the hang of it.

Mine is over a year old and definitely had the super thin cozy. It is also the aluminum model. I found no reason for the Ti one. I do agree it is not the strongest product. I do try to pack it in a "safe" way so if I throw my pack off I will not crush it. It definitely can be a pain if you really lock the cup into the burner to undo it. I am used to it now and have no problems.