JetBoil SOL vs MSR Pocket Rocket

slim9300

WKR
how do you like the Primus ETA solo??? I am debating between that and a JB SOL.

Buy the JB SOL. I really like the Primus and it's almost as quick and efficient as the SOL but not quite. At the time I bought it, it blew away the efficiency and speed of my JB PCS. I haven't used it too much but I question its longevity after talking to others about Primus stoves. The JB like I said above will run forever. Better safe than sorry.

What's your prediction? And why hasn't MSR come up with something they can sell to replicate the tin foil?

I get two boils a day for 10 days out of the Pocket Rocket with a 100gm Jetpower canister and tin foil. Boil times are usually in the 2.5min range, although that does change a little with varying conditions. It does even better with my home made heat exchanger although I don't use that much because it adds around 4oz or so.

MSR does have a windscreen they sell, but as mentioned before I think their competitor with the JB is the Reactor.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I get two boils a day for 10 days out of the Pocket Rocket with a 100gm Jetpower canister and tin foil. Boil times are usually in the 2.5min range, although that does change a little with varying conditions. It does even better with my home made heat exchanger although I don't use that much because it adds around 4oz or so.

MSR does have a windscreen they sell, but as mentioned before I think their competitor with the JB is the Reactor.

I have had similar results. Wind is a big problem for the PR but is easily fixed with a simple wind screen.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yep it was a Soto stove with a modified Jet boil cup. 100 gram canister lasted my wife and I 5.5 days with 4-6 boils per day.

I am almost embarrased to admit that I am using a brunton screw on stove. It is very similar to the pocket rocket and boil time is very decent. I have never bothered to time it but it is less than 5 minutes for 16 oz.

G Posik

WKR
The JB is really nice, I run the SOL and have the fry pan to go with it. It is nice if you happen to catch a trout or some other game that you would like to cook up. I was given the 1.5 L JB pot by a friend that thought it was neat. I have used it at the house to try it out. It is nice to heat up a stew, if you have a couple of people in the group, you can throw a meal in there and some one can heat up water for coffee or another fixing to go with the meal at the same time. Makes the dinner time a bit nicer.

Glenn

Like Aron and I had stated in the video, i got this PR when i was still in college. I have grabbed a JB several times while I was at REI and put it back on the shelf within the last year. I haven't found the need to replace yet. I am kinda interested in the Micro Pocket Rocket...has anyone tried this out?

Bang for your buck......PR.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My buddy has the Jetboil, I bring the pocket rocket as a back up. Best of both worlds, no debate needed. : )

rodney482

WKR
Received my SOl Ti yesterday.... looks pretty cool. didnt realize you could use it like a regular stove.

Very light!!

Yukondog

WKR
Yep it was a Soto stove with a modified Jet boil cup. 100 gram canister lasted my wife and I 5.5 days with 4-6 boils per day.

Since that post of that modification I have been wanting to buy the JB sol cup for my soto stove. My REI ti cup works well with the stove, but it seems like the JB cup combo with the soto stove is the best of all worlds. Might try it someday.

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Reviving an old thread with a new question. Is the micro rocket worth the extra $20 over the pocket rocket?