Jetboil Sol vs. Sol Ti

OBP

WKR
I'm going to change my stove to either the jetboil sol or sol ti. Anyone with experience with either or both have a reason to pick one over the other? I'm basically trying to decide if it's worth the $50 to save a couple ounces.

I've read that the ti can get brittle, and if you put anything but water in them they stick much worse than the standard one. Just what I've read though, no experience with one since my boys just bought me a SOL for my anniversary, wooohooo.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I think the most important question to determine your decision is your food. If mostly heating water for freeze dried meals (like mountain house) the Ti is best. If you plan on cooking and eating out of it (like Roman and dried potatoes) I wouldn't choose the Ti. Titanium is much more abrasive and requires more cleaning. So if your going on an extended trip with limited water sources, titanium can be a pain.

That said I have both and their great products.

weaver

WKR
I was debating between these 2 when i bought my stove. Decided the Ti wasnt worth the extra cash for me.

FURMAN

WKR
I just bought a SOL Ti. I got it for the same price of the SOL. I will only use it to boil water. If you read the specs on Jetboil website you will see that you are only saving about 1.5oz by going with the Ti. I am not sure it would have been worth the $50.00 but if you are patient and shop around you will be able to close the price gap.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sol ti here....I have not had any issues with food sticking differently and I love mine.

trk3263

WKR
I was going to upgrade to the Ti cup and was told it isn't worth the upgrade for just the 1oz. You also loose the temp thingy on the cozy so of you like that feature that is a downfall of the Ti.

I have had both the SOL and currently have the SOL ti. Like already stated I was very disappointed when I got home and actually weighed both setups. As already stated its not worth the price difference. Another big factor with me is with the ti version you don't get the heat indicator on the side of the cup. Just another consideration.

slim9300

WKR
I have had both the SOL and currently have the SOL ti. Like already stated I was very disappointed when I got home and actually weighed both setups. As already stated its not worth the price difference. Another big factor with me is with the ti version you don't get the heat indicator on the side of the cup. Just another consideration.

And the cup cozy is thinner. Most guys that have had both prefer the regular SOL cozy. I know of a few that ordered the cozy from JB and swapped them out.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Slim,

Your thread reminded me of one neat advantage to the Ti, it does cool down remarkably fast.

slim9300

WKR
Slim,

Your thread reminded me of one neat advantage to the Ti, it does cool down remarkably fast.

Very true.

One reason why I didn't go Ti was that after killing an elk, it's tradition to cook up some backstrap pieces with a little spice and olive oil. Everything sticks to the Ti based on what I read while researching my choice and I really hate washing dishes. :)

I'm thinking about buying the Ti cup though for non-hunting trips.

Floorguy

WKR
After looking at both I got the Sol, the Sol ti wasn't worth the price increase and I don't think that I am ever in a big enough hurry that the Sol takes too long to cool.

Any particular reason you are wanting just the Jetboils?
If you are looking for quick boil times the Firemaple's and Olicamp's are getting good reviews on all of the backpacking sites. The Firemaple's have worked well for me.

OP
OBP

OBP

WKR
I have the original PCS that I've been running for a few years and like the jetboil setup, just want to lose some of the weight. All I use a stove for is boiling water, don't do much other cooking on backpacking trips.

With the Firemaple Tornado Heat Exchanger pot, and the Firemaple FMs-116T you are looking at 8.4oz. With the Olicamp system you are looking at about 9.4oz. Both will be a bit cheaper than the Jetboil, and both should have similar or better boil times.
I'm not sure what the weight is on the original PCS pot, but it seems you could always just purchase the ti pot and save an ounce or two I'm sure.