Jetboil won’t run on MSR fuel?

SDHNTR

WKR
Found this out the hard way on a backpacking trip with my son. The red iso butane MSR fuel cans won’t run in my jetboil. Tried it a million times unscrewing and screwing a and messing with the valve. Won’t flow. Anyone else had this problem? Got home and screwed same fuel can into my Pocket Rocket stove and it worked fine. Jetboil website says MSR fuel is fine. What gives?

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Only issue I have had with MSR canisters is using the igniter on my jet boil have had to use my lighter to get it lit but it still works for me.

That's strange. I've used my Jetboil stove with Coleman, MSR, and Jetboil branded fuel canisters with no issues. Perhaps you just got a defective canister...maybe the port in the top wasn't punched all the way through the wall of the canister. Or the valve in your Jetboil stove may be failing to open.

Isobutane stoves can struggle if the ambient temperature falls below the vaporization temperature of the fuel, but that's typically not a concern until you get below about 20°F.

AdamLewis

FNG
9.5K, but I’ve been much higher than that without issue.
Higher elevation equals lower boiling point anyway, so at the same temp the can will actually make more pressure the higher it is. If anything it will flow more fuel at a given setting on the stove valve which would have an outside chance at freezing the can quicker.

I've been through probably 50 MSR cans with my jetboils with no issues compared to other cans. How many different MSR cans did you try? Wondering if this could be a tolerance stack problem, where your jetboil's actuation pin is on the short end and so is the button on the can's Lindal valve...

Did you get any hiss when spinning the can on/off the stove? If so that'd rule out the above, probably.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Higher elevation equals lower boiling point anyway, so at the same temp the can will actually make more pressure the higher it is. If anything it will flow more fuel at a given setting on the stove valve which would have an outside chance at freezing the can quicker.

I've been through probably 50 MSR cans with my jetboils with no issues compared to other cans. How many different MSR cans did you try? Wondering if this could be a tolerance stack problem, where your jetboil's actuation pin is on the short end and so is the button on the can's Lindal valve...

Did you get any hiss when spinning the can on/off the stove? If so that'd rule out the above, probably.
I tried 2 cans. No hiss at all.

AdamLewis

FNG
I tried 2 cans. No hiss at all.
Could be a tolerance issue then. No hiss means the o ring is seating before the actuation pin touches the valve, which is how it is supposed to work but I get hiss more often than I don't.

No idea if MSR makes their valve buttons shorter than others....I can check as I know I have a few different cans. If that is the case and your stove has a shorter than usual pin it could be the Lindal valve isn't opening fully. I'd think that would mean a weak flame rather than no flame but who knows.

WKR

WKR
You may be right. I want to try some other fuel first.
I had it happen with my primus stove. I emailed them and they sent a new valve free of charge.
Not sure about jetboil Customer service but its worth a shot.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Just got off the phone with Jetboil. Great CS. Promptly picked up the phone, no run around, very kind lady on the line. She sent me out a new burner for free. Happy again.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Well, I grabbed a can of Jetboil brand fuel today and the old stove worked fine on it! I must have somehow got a bad batch of MSR cans. Strange.

JjamesIII

WKR
Found this out the hard way on a backpacking trip with my son. The red iso butane MSR fuel cans won’t run in my jetboil. Tried it a million times unscrewing and screwing a and messing with the valve. Won’t flow. Anyone else had this problem? Got home and screwed same fuel can into my Pocket Rocket stove and it worked fine. Jetboil website says MSR fuel is fine. What gives?
I’ve had the same experience. I think they were msr- but one brand was working with all my stoves except the jetboil sol. I don’t use my jetboil much anymore, so not a big deal. Just remember to use compatible canisters.