Jetboil

Quick question here... I use a jetboil for simple meals but not sure that’s the absolute best route. It almost seems like a pot/pan combo with a pocket rocket hooked to a canister would open up my cooking options. Anyone tried both before

EmperorMA

WKR
Pocket Rocket Deluxe, MSR WindPro or, if you like the Jetboil style but still want to cook, get the MSR WindBurner and add the skillet and/or stockpot attachments.

I have used both, went back to a jetboil. I think it largely depends on how much extra you want to carry. I feel that if I were spending alot of nights in the backcountry, specifically in the later seasons, I’d be more into making dinners as the nights are longer and it would give me something to do.

I swapped to the Pocket Rocket Deluxe. Choose whatever pot (or just a titanium cup) that is appropriate to your trip.

The number one driver for this is that I don't want to carry a separate pot that can sit in a fire. Can't do that with a MiniMo. Only drawback is you need more of a formal windscreen in blustery conditions for the little stove, whereas the Jetboil MiniMo had a descent built in windscreen.

AKDoc

WKR
Quick question here... I use a jetboil for simple meals but not sure that’s the absolute best route. It almost seems like a pot/pan combo with a pocket rocket hooked to a canister would open up my cooking options. Anyone tried both before
I think you're asking a good question sir...the options are truly endless.

For many years I used an MSR Dragon-Fly, and it worked excellent with a pot for boiling water (and a frying pan) without any major problems...even did several rebuilds in the field with that rig very easily. Then a friend of mine introduced me to the compact all in one Jetboil. I bought one and switched over to canister fuels for the weight savings and simplicity. For extended hunting and pack-raft floats, I always have an MSR Pocket-Rocket as my back-up because they are so simple and compact, but I've not needed it. I've brought an ultra-light frying pan with me for some of my extended, multi-week remote trips, and I use the adapter that came with the Jetboil for the frying pan. After several years I got tired of the igniter on the Jetboil failing, so this year I bought an MSR Windburner, and I do like that unit much better (and the frying pan adapter from the Jetboil fits it just fine). I'm think I'm set now...(famous last words!)

I'm sure you know that you likely will be burning more fuel with the MSR Pocket-Rocket, if it is your primary/only stove option.

Pocket Rocket Deluxe, MSR WindPro or, if you like the Jetboil style but still want to cook, get the MSR WindBurner and add the skillet and/or stockpot attachments.
Some good ideas there!

Last edited:

Jauwater

WKR
I usually cook steak / chicken / fish type main course meals with sides like green beans / corn / potatoes / etc, while in the backcountry so I bring an MSR kit with me most of the time. The kit itself comes with 2 pots, 2 plates, 2 cups, stove, and pot holder all fit inside for a pretty compact set. I got a MSR skillet, and two snowpeak titanium plates that fit right on the bottom like a glove. I've cooked for 6 people using this setup before. This is obviously the heaviest of the kits, but you dont have to bring the whole kit either. You can piece it out for your needs per trip. The stove didn't actually come with the kit. The stove I'm using with it I believe is the Pocket rocket deluxe (?) I'd have to look Into that. It's the one with the larger burner. Works really well for simmering.

I have a small MSR cup, that will hold gas canister, pot holder, and stove inside. I'll bring this with me on quick overnighters where I may only plan on some coffee and oatmeal to get me through. Overnighters I tend to have a large meal before going in, and have a breakfast / lunch spot picked out for when I'm leaving. I do ALOT of these quick overnighters. This setup works great because of its size, and is the lightest of the kits.

If I'm doing the same type of overnighter with say one other person, then I'll typically bring along my jetboil flash because it's a bit larger then the MSR kit. Jetboil does offer those minimos that look pretty sweet, but they are pricey.

I'll post a pic below to show the size comparisons of each setup.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20201130_044633.jpg
    20201130_044633.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20201130_044704.jpg
    20201130_044704.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I have pretty much all the types of stoves. Jetboil, MSR Reactor, MSR XGK multi fuel, Primus (forget name, but very similar to pocket rocket) and various home made alcohol stoves.

I have a cheap aluminum pot that works on the XGK, Primus and the alcohol stoves if I want to cook a meal inside the pot. I find myself not using these stoves very much anymore though.

I pretty much just boil water with the Reactor and Jetboil. The Reactor pot is really nice and could be used to cook in, I just haven’t wanted to clean it afterwards out in the field. I usually camp and hunt in desert areas so I don’t have excess water for cleaning dishes. I really prefer the Reactor over the Jetboil anymore. It’s just a better stove.

for cooking heart and liver out in the field, I got my buddy to cook it in his Jetboil pot. He had to have liver flavored coffee the next morning but I was happy :)