Jim Shockey on Border Closure

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was simply responding to an American who said he'd had problems traveling in Canada.

I've also traveled all over the world, including the Middle East and in my experience, the most well traveled Americans rarley or never have trouble, that includes Africa and the Middle East. But I have personally met a number of Americans while out traveling, who've complained about issues while outside their borders.

Nevermind the number of American travelers who I met with Canadian flags sewn to their packs, and the was pre 9/11. All of them claiming it was to prevent problems.

I do believe you are lying about Americans with Canadian flags sewn to their backpacks. The Canadian girl I dated told that same lie. I the decade I spent traveling I never once saw it….although I heard about it from a lot of Canadians.

Reactions: WCB

tdot

WKR
I do believe you are lying about Americans with Canadian flags sewn to their backpacks. The Canadian girl I dated told that same lie. I the decade I spent traveling I never once saw it….although I heard about it from a lot of Canadians.

Believe it or not, there are things that go on in this world that you may not be aware of. Doesn't make others liars. Believe what you want. But unless Florida is a Province in Canada, I spent almost 2 weeks traveling in Italy and Greece with 2 Florida kids with Canadian flags on their packs. They weren't the only ones. Spending Canada Day in Rome was very enlightening, that was when I first realized how often it actually occurs... the gigs up when a "Canadian" asks why we are partying 3 days early.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Believe it or not, there are things that go on in this world that you may not be aware of. Doesn't make others liars. Believe what you want. But unless Florida is a Province in Canada, I spent almost 2 weeks traveling in Italy and Greece with 2 Florida kids with Canadian flags on their packs. They weren't the only ones. Spending Canada Day in Rome was very enlightening, that was when I first realized how often it actually occurs... the gigs up when a "Canadian" asks why we are partying 3 days early.

I’m going to choose to not believe you, I have never once seen anybody with the flag of their country on their backpack, but like I said….I’ve heard about it from a lot of Canadians. I’ll also add that the worst behavior I’ve witnessed overseas was from israelis and Canadians. My experience is fairly limited since I’ve only been to around 60 countries in a ten year period and never once witnessed these things that I’ve only ever heard about from Canadians.

I mean seriously, 100% of the times of heard this tale it was from a Canadian who seemed to have an axe to grind.

It’s hard to apply his argument to any other business and think it makes sense. Paying for a good or service and telling the customer “better luck next time” seems wrong regardless
Early last year this is exactly what many airlines, hotels, car rental companies, etc did. Some wound up caving to public outcry and gave vouchers with restrictions. But contractually, they did not have to.

I got partially burned last year on a trip to Hawaii with the wife. Lost about 1/4 the total spent up front. One of the risks of prepaying in order to save a ton of money. The hotel, airline, and car rental took care of me. Helps to travel 300+ days a year for work and have top-tier status with them. Wound up not pursuing the remaining 1/4 since the cost to pursue it was too much in relation of the amount lost.

I do believe a lot of the gripes are due to people not truly understanding how some business operate especially in the early days of the business. If people think they can do better, then do so. Go buy the "unethical" outfitters out and show folks how it is done.

tdot

WKR
I’m going to choose to not believe you, I have never once seen anybody with the flag of their country on their backpack, but like I said….I’ve heard about it from a lot of Canadians. I’ll also add that the worst behavior I’ve witnessed overseas was from israelis and Canadians. My experience is fairly limited since I’ve only been to around 60 countries in a ten year period and never once witnessed these things that I’ve only ever heard about from Canadians.

I mean seriously, 100% of the times of heard this tale it was from a Canadian who seemed to have an axe to grind.

Ha. Awesome. You've finally busted us. It's actually a class in Grade 12, taught to all Canadians before they travel. How to Lie about the Big Bad Americans.

I have better things to do then lie about my life experiences on the internet. Believe what you want and keep on grinding that axe

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ha. Awesome. You've finally busted us. It's actually a class in Grade 12, taught to all Canadians before they travel. How to Lie about the Big Bad Americans.

I have better things to do then lie about my life experiences on the internet. Believe what you want and keep on grinding that axe

I have no axe to grind, I just find it curious how I’ve only ever heard this from Canadians yet in my extensive travels I’ve never seen it, not one single time. I’d forgotten all about these claims then all of a sudden BAM another Canadian is saying it.

Nobody is jealous of Canadians except Chinese people because Canada sells their land to the Chinese like it’s going out of style.

It’s typical Canadian BS that I see time and time again.

Reactions: WCB

I've met Americans with the Canadian flags on their packs and I called them out for the traitorous cowards they were. I believe I was in Romania at the time. If you've never seen douchie Canadian backpackers with the Canadian flag sewn on their pack you haven't done a lot of backpacking. Or maybe you did it later on and it's not a thing anymore. I did it in the early 00s.

Canadians are the king-douches of the youth backpacking scene. No doubt about it. But, let's be honest, the youth backpack scene is pretty much the doushiest scene around. That's coming form someone who used to be big into and can call out his past douche self.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've met Americans with the Canadian flags on their packs and I called them out for the traitorous cowards they were. I believe I was in Romania at the time. If you've never seen douchie Canadian backpackers with the Canadian flag sewn on their pack you haven't done a lot of backpacking. Or maybe you did it later on and it's not a thing anymore. I did it in the early 00s.

I didn’t get into “backpacking” (traveling) until around 2005 but did it very seriously for 10 years, I hardly even saw any backpacks. I also realized that most of the people who say they traveled mostly just went places and got drunk. Thailand was the worst for this, “backpackers” there didn’t do anything but drink and smoke weed, they weren’t diving, sailing, trekking or even chasing the local talent.

I did encounter my fair share of Canadians though who felt they needed to go out f their way to insult people.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Canadians are the king-douches of the youth backpacking scene. No doubt about it. But, let's be honest, the youth backpack scene is pretty much the doushiest scene around. That's coming form someone who used to be big into and can call out his past douche self.

Im laughing my ass off about how correct you are. Yes, you summed it up perfectly!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I had (still have, just havnt seen him in years) a buddy from New Zealand and we all called him “captain travel” because he would always talk about how much everybody except him “sucked at travelling”.

tdot

WKR
I have no axe to grind, I just find it curious how I’ve only ever heard this from Canadians yet in my extensive travels I’ve never seen it, not one single time. I’d forgotten all about these claims then all of a sudden BAM another Canadian is saying it.

Nobody is jealous of Canadians except Chinese people because Canada sells their land to the Chinese like it’s going out of style.

It’s typical Canadian BS that I see time and time again.
You sure you don't have an axe to grind? Sure seems like you do...

Maybe look into Confirmational Bias. The fact that you're willing to call me a liar, just because my experiences dont align with your world views makes me think that you might be suffering from a touch of it. Anyways, enjoy your world travels, and keep spreading tales of the lyin' Canadians.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You sure you don't have an axe to grind? Sure seems like you do...

Maybe look into Confirmational Bias. The fact that you're willing to call me a liar, just because my experiences dont align with your world views makes me think that you might be suffering from a touch of it. Anyways, enjoy your world travels, and keep spreading tales of the lyin' Canadians.

I don’t need to spread tales, you’re doing it for me.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Being a Canadian who spent a great deal of time in Europe, yes, I can confirm that unfortunately our young backpackers have attained new heights of douchiness. I spent a year racing bicycles in Europe and I was almost routinely embarrassed by the behaviour of my countrymen and women. I only ever encountered one American with a Canadian flag on his backpack. His name was Mark, he was from Philadelphia and he bought the bag off a Canadian who was on his way home because his previous backpack had bought the farm. I often heard the myth of the American with a Canadian flag, and I don't doubt that it happened at some point. I occasionally faked being German to avoid interacting with some of our poorly behaved ambassadors. One Canadian in particular got so drunk in the beer halls and breweries of Munich that he pulled down his board shorts, sprayed liquid sh*t all over the small garden at the hostel we were at, and then passed out right there, bare ass to the world (and yes, he had a Canadian flag on his backpack).

Getting back to contributing to the original theme of this thread. After reading the article, and having worked for Jim in the past, I found his article to largely miss the mark. I know his guys are working hard to roll over hunts for the most part, at least based on what I'm hearing from some of my former clients. When the pandemic first hit there may have been some spring bear outfitters mobilizing, but very few fall-based operations were mobilizing entire guide crews/horses/etc. Good organizations will or at least should prosper based on good ethics and strong customer feedback, bad organizations should decline and either fail or be sold to someone who may be able to do better.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Being a Canadian who spent a great deal of time in Europe, yes, I can confirm that unfortunately our young backpackers have attained new heights of douchiness. I spent a year racing bicycles in Europe and I was almost routinely embarrassed by the behaviour of my countrymen and women. I only ever encountered one American with a Canadian flag on his backpack. His name was Mark, he was from Philadelphia and he bought the bag off a Canadian who was on his way home because his previous backpack had bought the farm. I often heard the myth of the American with a Canadian flag, and I don't doubt that it happened at some point. I occasionally faked being German to avoid interacting with some of our poorly behaved ambassadors. One Canadian in particular got so drunk in the beer halls and breweries of Munich that he pulled down his board shorts, sprayed liquid sh*t all over the small garden at the hostel we were at, and then passed out right there, bare ass to the world (and yes, he had a Canadian flag on his backpack).

Getting back to contributing to the original theme of this thread. After reading the article, and having worked for Jim in the past, I found his article to largely miss the mark. I know his guys are working hard to roll over hunts for the most part, at least based on what I'm hearing from some of my former clients. When the pandemic first hit there may have been some spring bear outfitters mobilizing, but very few fall-based operations were mobilizing entire guide crews/horses/etc. Good organizations will or at least should prosper based on good ethics and strong customer feedback, bad organizations should decline and either fail or be sold to someone who may be able to do better.

I’d bet the Canadian purposely sold the backpack to an American so he could perpetuate the myth that Americans go around with Canadian flags on their backpacks.

WCB

WKR
When I lived in Canada I bought a pair of underwear in the form of the Canadian flag.

I must be a real bad traveler.....