Jim White Tripd Head

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a new Jim White tripod head in the mail today, and for panning it is very smooth. For up and down tilting it seems a lot rougher than I was expecting. For you guys that own one of these or have owned one, would you say this is normal, or should I send it back?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought that head had a tension setting for both left / right and up / down. If it does, you just need to adjust those.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't remember for sure, I stopped using that head about a year ago. But I thought there was something, but it could just be me not remembering correctly.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Outdoorsman Pan Head. It is the smoothest out there in my opinion, but the Jim White head is also top notch.

It is possible to attach one of these heads to a Slik Mini II? If so, can one just purchase the tripod head or are other componets needed? I have asked this same question several times with no real answer provided.

My concern is that if I order one and I am not able to just attach it right to my tripod I am SOL as I won't have anytime to mess around with it before I get home.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
The Outdoorsman Pan Head. It is the smoothest out there in my opinion, but the Jim White head is also top notch.

I love my spotter but there is no way I am ever spending that much money on a head for my tripod! By the time I buy the tripod and head from Outdoorsman I will have close to half what I paid for my spotter tied up into tripod, thats insane. Think I will keep humping my heavy Leupold tripod around for now.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Outdoorsman stuff is a once in a lifetime purchase. Their medium tripod and pan head are one of the best and lightest combos around that will still keep the big heavy glass from shaking. If you only use your spotter to size up animals lots of tripods will work, but I use my set up with my binocs and spotter to glass with all day.

"The Outdoorsman stuff is a once in a lifetime purchase."

To go along with the once in a lifetime purchase of my optics... I am thinking real hard about upgrading the tripod and head to the outdoorsman system.

So, for the medium tripod and the pan head from Outdoorsman, is that all you need or do you need any of the adapter plates or other accessories they sell to make it fully functional?

Last edited:
OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have the Outdoorsmas Medium tripod and debated between the Jim White Head and the Outdoorsmans Pan Head. I am now thinking about just returning that Jim White and spending the extra $100 and getting the Outdoorsmans; you aren't the first person that has told me that the Outdoorsmans pan head is the best around. I know I am very happy with their tripod so far.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
It is possible to attach one of these heads to a Slik Mini II? If so, can one just purchase the tripod head or are other componets needed? I have asked this same question several times with no real answer provided.

My concern is that if I order one and I am not able to just attach it right to my tripod I am SOL as I won't have anytime to mess around with it before I get home.

I don't see why you couldn't attach the Jim White head to any tripod. It comes fitting a 3'8" threaded tripod, but they also sent me a 1/4" adapter.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
"The Outdoorsman stuff is a once in a lifetime purchase."

To go along with the once in a lifetime purchase of my optics... I am thinking real hard about upgrading the tripod and head to the outdoorsman system.

So, for the medium tripod and the pan head from Outdoorsman, is that all you need or do you need any of the adapter plates or other accessories they sell to make it fully functional?

I can't say for sure. But it seems to me you would at the least need the adapter plates, i.e. to put one on your spotter, binos, camera, etc.

Right, but shouldn't one adapter plate come with the head? Their website doesn't really mention what comes with each item, just lists the tripods and then the head.

cmeier117

WKR
What does the Medium tripod from outdoorsman weigh? Isn't it like 2.5 lbs? And you can't stand and glass is that right?

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Right, but shouldn't one adapter plate come with the head? Their website doesn't really mention what comes with each item, just lists the tripods and then the head.

You would think at least one adapter plate would come with the head but the way it reads on their site it does not.

"The newest compact and lightweight tripod head on the market. This head has separate levers for vertical and horizontal travel and is specifically designed to accept Outdoormans Adapter Plates. Outdoorsmans adapter plates purchased separately. Proudly made in the USA."

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
What does the Medium tripod from outdoorsman weigh? Isn't it like 2.5 lbs? And you can't stand and glass is that right?

If I remember right, when I weighed my medium Outdoorsmans tripod it weighed like 2.1 pounds. I could stand with my angled spotter, but I would be hunched over. So to answer your question, no you can not stand up comfortably and glass with it, but that is what I have my Swarovski CT101 tripod for, 3.5 pounds for a tripod was a little heavy for backpacking for me though. I personally prefer sitting to glass anyways, if it is possible where I am at.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I prefer the Outdoorsman pan head over the Jim White for a few reasons, but the weight and fluid adjustment stood out the most.

DSC01593.jpg

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
The Outdoorsman stuff is a once in a lifetime purchase. Their medium tripod and pan head are one of the best and lightest combos around that will still keep the big heavy glass from shaking. If you only use your spotter to size up animals lots of tripods will work, but I use my set up with my binocs and spotter to glass with all day.

I currently use my spotter all day long to glass with, maybe one of these days I will break down and spend that kind of money on a tripod and head for it but for now I will take that money and buy another rifle or pistol that I don't need or use it to fill up the gas tank on my truck so I can make another hunt or camping/fishing trip. Never saw a need to use a tripod for my binos but they are little 10x42 Nikons that don't weigh anything.