Jimmy tarp EMS opinion ?

heyne

FNG
Hi,

I can't managed to find any reviews on the net about the new Jimmy tarps EMS shelter.
If you bought one or tried it i'd be really interested to know what are your impressions about it, as i do consider buying one.

Thanks !

Bearsears

WKR
I'd look into the Eolus or Silex from Seek Outside. They are a few ounces heavier but a little cheaper and they pitch with two poles so you get more usable room. I think weight would be a wash if you were really trying to batten down the hatches because the Seek offerings pitch with less stakes and are every bit if not more stormworthy. I bought a Jimmytarps Granite Mountain earlier this year and it was a bit too small. I then bought an Eolus when they came out and was surprised at the higher quality of material and craftsmanship in the Eolus. I have never seen the new EMS though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
H

heyne

FNG
Thing is i usually don't use poles, or only one and i'm often above treeline, i don't really want to bother bringing another pole just for the tent. But thanks for the answer

Thing is i usually don't use poles, or only one and i'm often above treeline, i don't really want to bother bringing another pole just for the tent. But thanks for the answer
All the options in those styles use poles. The Eolus and Silex use 2 trekking poles the granite mountain uses 2 or 1 depending on the year. The EMS also uses a trekking pole Above tree line it’s either poled, free standing or a bivy 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

OP
H

heyne

FNG
"or only one, i don't really want to bother bringing another one".
So i usually have one with me, especially above treeline, and if i have none, one pole is easier to find outside then two.
So a one pole shelter is fine to me.

Last edited: