Jimmy's AZ hunt

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Just got to the truck. Here are some pics of hike out
1FA4350F-2F46-4BCF-9E86-3ABBEC384FD9-468-0000006FFAA53585_zps8cac9d7a.jpg

Lyle overloaded. He brought just a little to much. I think he had a change of clothes for everyday and food for 10 days. He will probably rethink it next time. Funny dude
041258B7-8D9C-4B7A-B6BB-5EACF428FCEC-468-0000007004ACA7B5_zpsc2621501.jpg

Lyle crossing a creek
F2116F0B-59E1-40DC-93D3-CEBA3C1EA653-468-000000701DA46F51_zps657534af.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great job Slim! Great Live hunt. Thanks for taking us along.

Now Lyle can break out the beer- by the looks of his pack, he's got case in there somewhere. Can't wait to hear from Lyle, too.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thank you everyone for following, I hope you liked it. I really enjoyed doing it and appreciate all the encouragement. Just got home and spending a little time with the family before bed. I will conclude the story tomorrow.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
This was a fun hunt bringing a friend along and hopefully I have created a new backpack hunting partner. I usually go it alone and that has its benefits but it also gets lonely and can be unsafe. Lyle seemed to have liked it and said that he would like to come along with me this summer into the Ruby mountains in NV where it is an 8 1/2 mile pack in. He said that he will train for it so we will see. On this AZ hunt I tried my best to make everyone feel as if you were on the journey with us. It can be hard to do play by play because I didn't want to put down the optics and miss out on anything. I wish I could of had more photos but the wind was howling most of the time and there were a lot of blurred pics. Hunting for only 5 days on a bow hunt can be a challenge as you limit your odds for success. 5 days with a rifle is challenging in itself let alone a bow. All of my future bow hunts will be a minimum of 7 days as I want to be successful and I can be a little more patient with the grey ghost. I eat, sleep and $hit hunting mulies and my quest for a giant mule deer with a bow eats at me all the time. It just makes me that much hungrier and it will be that much more gratifying when I do put one down. I think I will bring you all along this summer for the one I named cinnamon toast. He is a 180-185 class mule deer that I hope made it thru the smoke pole and rifle season. There is another one I named black magic as well, a beautiful wide 3x3. Once again I hope you enjoyed and a shout out to Robby Denning for being there if needed

Lyler

FNG
My experience backpack hunting

Great job Slim! Great Live hunt. Thanks for taking us along.

Now Lyle can break out the beer- by the looks of his pack, he's got case in there somewhere. Can't wait to hear from Lyle, too.

I have to say, backpack hunting is rough living conditions and its not for everyone. See, I am use to having everything at camp when i get back from a hunt, but i had a blast. Man i missed my beer, but actually Jim forgot his charger for his phone and i had one beer in the car lol, so we ended up walking all the way back to the truck after our morning hunt. While walking back Jim said, if we make it back to the truck in an hour we can go back to town and get something hot to eat, the first thing that came to my mind was beer, and my backpack was empty, you know what that means lol. We ended up going to town and buying 2 24oz bud lights man that taste so good after a full day of hunting and walking those hills. I really had a blast, and planning on going with Jim in august on a 8 mile hunt. So stay tone for the next hunt.

Lyler

FNG
another thing i've learned i brought to much stuff on this trip and my backpack was heavy, next time one hunting pants, two shirts, two thermals and thats it. I think i brought three shirts, three pants, three thermals, and food for a tribe.

Craig4791

WKR
another thing i've learned i brought to much stuff on this trip and my backpack was heavy, next time one hunting pants, two shirts, two thermals and thats it. I think i brought three shirts, three pants, three thermals, and food for a tribe.

Haha ya you looked like a Sherpa on that pack out! Funny pic.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lyler,
good to hear from you and have you on Rokslide. I can't deny that I've had a beer or two in the pack and oh how much sweeter they taste after a hard day in the hills.
Thanks for taking us along- you did great for your first backpack hunt. Look forward to seeing you on here more and can't wait to hear about your Nevada hunt next fall. You do know you are going don't you?

In the meantime, see if you can invent a dehydrated beer. I'll be your first customer.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Slim, you're welcome, but seems like you got along just fine. One of our best Live hunts if you asked me. Loved the preparation posts.

Lyler

FNG
Hahaha ill look into that dehydrated beer that's a good idea. Yup can't wait till the next hunting trip and thanks for following us we had a blast.
Lyler,
good to hear from you and have you on Rokslide. I can't deny that I've had a beer or two in the pack and oh how much sweeter they taste after a hard day in the hills.
Thanks for taking us along- you did great for your first backpack hunt. Look forward to seeing you on here more and can't wait to hear about your Nevada hunt next fall. You do know you are going don't you?

In the meantime, see if you can invent a dehydrated beer. I'll be your first customer.

Lyler

FNG
After the live hunt you should start a live cactus needle status haha I think I was pullin cactus out of myself for a few months after last January
I woke up two day later pulling cactus out of my ass and knee.