Jobs out west...

A.Hutch

FNG
I've played with the idea of moving out west many times over the years. But recently, I have made the decision to make it happen, even talked to the wife about it. I made it very clear, i'm going, your more than welcome to come with....lol.
With that said, I am curious as to how the job market is in general. Ultimately, I would like to be in Idaho, a few different reasons, mostly! the hunting!!!
Besides, the wife has family up around Orifino. Her uncle, by marriage, owns a construction company. From the sounds of it, he's quite well for himself. I am not one to shy away from "it's a who ya know opportunity". But, that may not ever be an option, who knows. So, like I stated earlier, just curious as to whats really out there. I've looked over the various job search sites. Looks to be about like anywhere else really, there are jobs for those that want to work. That would be me. Much appreciate any and all input, good or bad.
Ya'll be good!!

Hutch

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
I here ya loud an clear!! It's all good. I can honestly say I truly love my wife, I'm sure she would question that...lol
As far as my statement "I'm going, your more than welcome to come" I will say, yup, there's been issues, things happen. Please don't jump to conclusions, there's A LOT to that story. Of which is irrelevant here.
So, yes, I do greatly appreciate ya lookin out for me/us.(y)

Hutch

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on where you relocate to and the size of the cities you choose.
Most places don't pay the wages that East or West coasts pay but it is what it is, choose your poison, high wages= shitty living or lower pay= better lifestyle and freedom

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
What kinda work?? At 47 years of age I have moved around a lot, and because of that I have done a lot of different things. I've had my class A CDL's for 15 years now. I've been a NCCCO licensed crane operator, various and numerous pieces of heavy equipment, a lot of construction in one form or another. Hell, I've washed dishes, pushed brooms, and worked the piss out of a shovel, oilfield. Auto and diesel mechanic. some paint and body. Done quite a bit of welding(mig, aluminum tig, stick, structural and pipe, flux core) There really ain't a whole lot I ain't done at one time or another.
So to answer your question....whatever gets the bills paid...

Hutch

manitou1

WKR
Sounds like you would be a shoe-in for oil/gas employment if your are okay with Montana, Wyoming, or the Western Dakotas.

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
lol.... ya well, I'm done with oilfield. I want to be home and actually enjoy my family, not just hear about it.

Hutch

Plenty of working age people move to Idaho and then go back to where they came from pretty quickly due to wages. 99% of companies here pay like crap and treat their employees like crap. There's an endless labor pool that is willing to do almost anything for $11 hr, how do you feel about competing with that?

I think you will be fine with that CDL, at least initially until you want to stop driving and do something else, but that would get you a job in most places.

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
That's reason numero uno as to why I got it in the first place.

Hutch

If you think you can provide for your family, own and maintain a house and transportation, provide your own medical insurance and retirement on $11 hr, have at it.

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
I have no misconceptions about how hard a living can be. It's been many moon since i've made a decision based off of the grandeur of it all.

Hutch

I'm just giving you honest advice. If you're willing to work, you'll survive anywhere. Simply surviving gets old pretty quickly, especially with a wife and children.

Jon Boy

WKR
Not sure where everyone is getting the 11 bucks an hour figure. Bozeman area trades can hardly find anyone and pay fairly handily for it. I know a handful of guys in the trades in wyoming and Idaho that have similar experiences.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hobbes

WKR
Maybe ID is different than MT, but crane operators make more than $11 an hour. I will say that the construction I'm familiar with requires Davis Bacon wages. In addition, from what I've seen here in MT, the contractors can't find folks that will work. They hire 5 guys and 2 don't show up, 2 quit within the first few days or couple of weeks, the one that stays may not be worth keeping buts its the only one that will stay.

Not sure where everyone is getting the 11 bucks an hour figure. Bozeman area trades can hardly find anyone and pay fairly handily for it. I know a handful of guys in the trades in wyoming and Idaho that have similar experiences.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
In my neck of the woods the answer is super simple, illegal immigrants and greedy employers with no ethics.

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
Much appreciate the honesty!!(y) I'd rather it sucks than be BS'd into thinkin it's all gravy an gold here c'mon down.....Whatever...lol
And as far as wages go, Florida paid 32 an hr for crane operators, Oklahoma(my home state, which I do love) pays 14 for the same work. if I go up to Tulsa, or OKC, I can expect around 20. But, I do not much care for living in or around the city. Once again, BUT, I'll do what I gotta do till things can go my direction. And by no means is heart dead set on Idaho, it is at the top of my preference list. But I'm pretty open to anywhere out west really. Just depends on what I can find and how much I can prepare for the move. That will happen....

Hutch

Plenty of working age people move to Idaho and then go back to where they came from pretty quickly due to wages. 99% of companies here pay like crap and treat their employees like crap. There's an endless labor pool that is willing to do almost anything for $11 hr, how do you feel about competing with that?

I moved from the Midwest to So. Utah and I was pretty shocked by the low wadges here. There are good jobs but there seems to be an endless line of people that will work for about $11-$13 an hour.