Jobs out west...

Much of Idaho is the same way. All the good jobs are "who you know" jobs. I don't know the right people so I commute an hour and a half each way into Oregon for better quality employment.

Elk97

WKR
When are you prepared to move? My brother's company just lost a couple of guys in Boise (started their own company, trying to take customers, etc). With your CDL, crane and welding I'm pretty sure you could have a good paying job in a day either around Boise, Bozeman, etc. Entry level jobs don't pay much, that's why they are entry level but you have experience and skills. There are a lot of jobs for someone with your background, go for it.

The issue is that most of the employers hire everyone at entry level wages regardless of experience, that's a fact in my area. Part of the problem is that most of the labor pool lies about their experience to get the job and that ruins it for anybody with extensive experience.

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
I ain't scared of low wages, ain't scared of crappy jobs. I've started at the bottom more times than I care to count. But I know me, and I do not and will not stay at the bottom. I know what the boss want's to see, I know I can and will give it to them. I like to work, I like a paycheck. I enjoy knowing I earned every penny on that paycheck, even IF I am worth more then what they're givin at the moment. Pay rates change for those that fight for it, show they're worth it, whether it be a simple pay raise or find another employer that's willing to give a bit more. It's there. Just gotta go get it. There's a lot of people that want that paycheck, fewer that are actually willing to earn it.
Appreciate ya'll, truly!!

Hutch

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
Man o man! I wish I was prepared to move right now. I'd be on your doorstep in a day or two. Truth is I've still got some obligations that still have to be met. So realistically, a year or so. Unfortunately.

Hutch

ridgefire

WKR
Look into the Spokane area. You can make a decent living, have good deer and turkey with some elk hunting in your back yard and only minutes from Idaho.

Jd259

WKR
This $11/hr Talk is ridiculous just spending 10 minutes on Craig’s list there’s dozens of jobs that pay over 20/hr starting out with the qualifications the op has. I have two good buddies that live in north Idaho and there both in trade work and they both make around 30/hr and their companies are constantly trying to hire capable hard working people. Just show up there with your skill set and you won’t have a problem finding work.

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for everyone's input. It is ALL greatly appreciated!! I honestly was not expecting this many responses this quickly. Again, Thank you.

Hutch

Walmart, McDonald's and several other places where I live in Wyoming start out their employees at more than $11 an hour. Talked to a friend that just retired from a heating, air conditioning and plumbing company and he was making $38 an hour.

Right now oil and gas is not doing very well so jobs in that sector may be a little tougher to get.

ClearCreek

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
hahahaha! Thats funny, I dont care who ya are....

Seriously, though, I've worked for minimum wage, $7.25 an hr and had to drive an hour one way to get to work. I made ends meet, wasn't easy by no means.

Hutch

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I work in the road and industrial construction industry, and I can say it’s not slowed much down in Wyo, bridges are still get rebuilt and asphalt is still getting laid. Finishing school and glad I switched to Civil Engineering because my bosses are always begging me to come back to work, this year with covid I started earlier than I have before in the past.

CorbLand

WKR
Do you have a particular place in Idaho?

With you experience, construction, road work, hell you would be a shoe in for potato farms. All just depends on where you want to be.

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
No, Haven't got that far in my plannin just yet, Ain't really worried about where to be honest. But if did, I'm thinkin the northern half. Dunno, we'll see how it plays out.

Hutch

WKR

WKR
Any Union tradesmen over there in wyoming, montana, idaho?
Only thing keeping me in Commiefornia is the money and union pension/benefits.

OP
A

A.Hutch

FNG
That shouldn't be to hard to find out, check your union web site or pay a visit to your union hall.

Hutch

Every heavy construction company in the Treasure Valley (Boise, Meridian, Nampa) is screaming for help. If you have a pulse, they will give you a chance.

4rcgoat

WKR
Not sure where everyone is getting the 11 bucks an hour figure. Bozeman area trades can hardly find anyone and pay fairly handily for it. I know a handful of guys in the trades in wyoming and Idaho that have similar experiences.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I will second this statement, northern Wyoming is still cranking away in the skilled trades. Hard working, skilled tradesmen are scarce and there seems to be plenty of work...........might be one of last"normal" places left in this corroding mess.

CorbLand

WKR
No, Haven't got that far in my plannin just yet, Ain't really worried about where to be honest. But if did, I'm thinkin the northern half. Dunno, we'll see how it plays out.

Hutch

Northern half I would look for construction or logging work. I am sure you could find trades work up there. Hell, probably about anywhere. Idaho is growing like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk