Joe Rogan 95lb Kong Bow

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
hmmmm. I bet if you draw the Venn diagram of people that pull a 95# bow for a long time and those that have shoulder issues at some point, there is a lot of overlap. There is also a big difference between pulling a bow that heavy on a flat range with an ideal stance and pulling it in a less than ideal huntiNg situation. Not to pick on the guy, but I remember a film Brian Call did a few years back mule deer hunting in Canada. He had an odd shot kneeling on a bedded buck and struggled to pull his bow on camera. Then you see Ole cam Hanes pulling special order HOYT’s like they are slot machines.

As I said above, i cranked up the pounds on my bow to about 88# and tweaked my shoulder twice in a season. Both times in a hunting situation. Once on a let down and once drawing in a stand with and odd foot placement/body alignment. i am 250# and work out a few times a week. I haven’t maxed in a while but my deadlift is probably still 450, maybe close to 500#. I am strong enough to pull a 95# bow and I have done it, but I wouldn’t hunt with one. I am back down to about 75# On my primary bow and 65# on my back up. Both fling heavy arrows fairly fast and I can’t see going back to something heavier. Besides, I can pull them sitting, kneeling, straddling a log or root, crouched low or stretched high to clear a branches, etc. and they zip through anything I have hit.
Strong lifts my man! But if I may with the nicest way possible, especially with possible younger/ new archers/weight lifters looking at this thread is to not correlate deadlifts (DL) with draw weight. I understand you’re just giving us an example of your strength which I applaud. Takes hard work and dedication to achieve 500+ on a DL.

For anyone looking to increasing draw strength. 1st thing and most importantly is proper form, this will help protect any odd movements and risk of injury. 2nd, start with elastic bands. These can be bought in a variety of resistance weights. (I use these to warm up my shoulders before every workout). And you can use them at home. 3rd weight training. Shoulders (delts), traps, chest, back, and the core. All play a factor in drawing a bow. Dumbbells are a great tool to use because they use primary and secondary (stabilizing) muscles. Be smart in the weight room, start small!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Strong lifts my man! But if I may with the nicest way possible, especially with possible younger/ new archers/weight lifters looking at this thread is to not correlate deadlifts (DL) with draw weight. I understand you’re just giving us an example of your strength which I applaud. Takes hard work and dedication to achieve 500+ on a DL.

For anyone looking to increasing draw strength. 1st thing and most importantly is proper form, this will help protect any odd movements and risk of injury. 2nd, start with elastic bands. These can be bought in a variety of resistance weights. (I use these to warm up my shoulders before every workout). And you can use them at home. 3rd weight training. Shoulders (delts), traps, chest, back, and the core. All play a factor in drawing a bow. Dumbbells are a great tool to use because they use primary and secondary (stabilizing) muscles. Be smart in the weight room, start small!

while yall are in the weight room getting your endorphin high you will be able to find me at the pie shop getting the same endorphin high. 70 lbs is plenty for me. Just gotta keep the gut in enough to not bump the bow or steering wheel. My shoulders have to stay good so I can pickup my fork.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
while yall are in the weight room getting your endorphin high you will be able to find me at the pie shop getting the same endorphin high. 70 lbs is plenty for me. Just gotta keep the gut in enough to not bump the bow or steering wheel. My shoulders have to stay good so I can pickup my fork.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I’d highly recommend bands for warming up the shoulders before you indulge. 😲😂

I’m still trying to understand why anybody cares what weight somebody else chooses to shoot.
Fair point. strictly speaking, I don’t care. To each their own. However, I am a self taught, adult on-set hunter of sorts and did a lot of stupid things in a relatively short period of time. If I can offer a perspective that keeps someone else from making those mistakes, then maybe that is good…

So… I started bow hunting in 2015 so I am relatively new. I also started without any kind of real mentor or guidance or honestly without a lot of thought. I had an idiot friend that watched a bunch of cam Hanes videos who ought a Hoyt carbon spider turbo on a whim. I walked into the same bow shop and basically said ”give me what he got”. The bow wasn’t heavy (65#) but it was expensive, speed tuned and jumpy. Not the greatest bow for a beginner. After a couple of years I decided to get a new bow and chase heavy poundage. That turned out to be a bit of a misadventure as well And resulted in some thankfully minor injuries.

there will be some new archers that are idiots like me and will see heavy bows used by some hunters and they will try it and it may turn out well or it may turn out badly. If I can share some experience that might keep someone from making the same mistakes I did, maybe that had some value. I don’t know.

FLS

WKR
I shot an 88 pound Pearson Renegade with fingers for years back in the late 80s early 90s. It wasn’t a big deal ,lots of people shot high poundage to get performance. Properly spined aluminums were heavy. I wanted to try a recurve so I dropped down to a 70 lb Hoyt Hunter and shot it for years. We just didn’t know any better. Today I shoot a 60 lb compound, and my longbows and recurves are all in the high 40s and low 50s.