Joe Rogan 95lb Kong Bow

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's not the energy level, it's the point of peak weight in the draw cycle and how the guy draws the bow. There are a whole lot of people drawing across their chest then they wonder why their shoulders come apart.
I wouldn't even know how to draw a bow except across my chest. I see some guys somehow drawing downward towards the ground and I'm not even sure how that is done, but it sure looks painful. I've drawn like a chainsaw before when needed, but even that's drawing across my chest.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
He is not going to kill deer any better than a 60# compound....

The fact that he thinks he is....is the head scratcher.

-

Its kinda like this. I'm building a LA swtich lug. I love quarter bores. I have a couple 257 weatherbys and while they are fast I have always heard they are a pain to reload. I thought I had settled on a 25-06 until the 257 blackbird enters..... Now given the choice the 257 blackbird is faster then both. It wont kill any better but it will get there faster with a flatter trajectory. There is something to be said about just speeding out your dope.

I wont shoot a 95 lb bow. I'm not even sure I can draw a 95 lb bow. But I bet its got a trajectory thats less like a rainbow and more like a lazer. For the most part faster arrows = mis ranging by a couple yards not such a big deal.

Its kinda like this. I'm building a LA swtich lug. I love quarter bores. I have a couple 257 weatherbys and while they are fast I have always heard they are a pain to reload. I thought I had settled on a 25-06 until the 257 blackbird enters..... Now given the choice the 257 blackbird is faster then both. It wont kill any better but it will get there faster with a flatter trajectory. There is something to be said about just speeding out your dope.

I wont shoot a 95 lb bow. I'm not even sure I can draw a 95 lb bow. But I bet its got a trajectory thats less like a rainbow and more like a lazer. For the most part faster arrows = mis ranging by a couple yards not such a big deal.
Especially with the heavy arrows a lot of guys like to shoot, and guys with short draw lengths.

The guy I knew who shot that 101# G-Force shot through a moose at 85 yards with a 2512 and a three blade muzzy.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Was about to post a new thread until this caught my eye.

A few days ago I finished building a 90lb+ “Frankenstein” bow. Now before people ask or throw in their two cents, I’ll explain why I built it.

A year ago I posted a pdf of an heavy arrow build here on RS. It was like a 50 page pdf on how I build my arrows which all came in +/- .8 grains from any 2 arrows out of the dozen. They weighed in at 730 grains (I can attach it again if anyone is interested).

I thought my Mathews z7 had it in her to fling them. I was even able to find a pair of 75lb limbs (from Australia) that Mathews did a very short production run with. I was pulling around 76lbs and only on average shooting around 230fps. 7B99DE22-7BF6-4697-8BD4-D09FC4BCC72E.jpeg

I knew I needed more speed because my arrows were falling off the table after 40-50 yards. Also I’m a pretty big guy. I can handle a 90lb bow and so can my body(for now lol). Less pin gap=less variance of probable yardage error as distance increases. Know your limits my friends!

anyways here is my Monster Triax. Before and after. Still thinking about starting a new thread with the build and performance?

5D6608E3-56A8-4F9E-96D6-E0176973255C.jpeg
28E40925-5BD1-4A05-B26A-735B51B49B34.jpeg

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Was about to post a new thread until this caught my eye.

A few days ago I finished building a 90lb+ “Frankenstein” bow. Now before people ask or throw in their two cents, I’ll explain why I built it.

A year ago I posted a pdf of an heavy arrow build here on RS. It was like a 50 page pdf on how I build my arrows which all came in +/- .8 grains from any 2 arrows out of the dozen. They weighed in at 730 grains (I can attach it again if anyone is interested).

I thought my Mathews z7 had it in her to fling them. I was even able to find a pair of 75lb limbs (from Australia) that Mathews did a very short production run with. I was pulling around 76lbs and only on average shooting around 230fps. View attachment 289533

I knew I needed more speed because my arrows were falling off the table after 40-50 yards. Also I’m a pretty big guy. I can handle a 90lb bow and so can my body(for now lol). Less pin gap=less variance of probable yardage error as distance increases. Know your limits my friends!

anyways here is my Monster Triax. Before and after. Still thinking about starting a new thread with the build and performance?

View attachment 289534
View attachment 289535
Oh yeah I remember that thread very well. Somehow it morphed into an FOC thread. I was curious as to why you built such a beastly arrow. If I remember right you were running Rage's on the front end, very odd combo.

I like rogan, but I drank the cam Haines coolaid and cranked up the pounds on my bow. It didn’t do much for other than make shots more akward in slightly less than ideal situations - inside a blind, bad foot placement do to stand or debris on ground. Rogan is in superb shape and shoots all the time, he also has more than a few orthopedic issues and probably more on the way. That kind of wear and tear on joints isn’t an ideal strategy for a lot of people.

Fatcamp

WKR
With all the shoulder work going on around here a guy has to wonder how good of an idea 90# would be. That said, I shoot 70# and really don't feel it's a big deal. Know thyself, I suppose.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, i’m not trying to criticize guys that shoot heavy poundage, shoot what makes you feel good.

Bowhunting is a hunting skills and accuracy pursuit. We have all seen what a well placed Arrow will do.

We have all seen guys that are just plain good hunters That are great with second rate equipment. It’s pervasive in these forms that guys focus more on gear than on skill set.

Let’s call it what it is; tinkering with your equipment is a fun hobby. A relatively minor improvement is not going to seriously affect your success rate.

-

I've got a buddy who listens to too many podcasts who has decided next year he's going to an 80 lb bow after watching this video. This same dude had a complete passthrough on a bull elk with an expandable broadhead this year with his 70 lb bow...I just don't get it.

He also does the Cam Hanes anchor behind the back of his head thing which is a whole other deal.
I know guys that do this shit too. They suck at getting close to anything, so they run sliders and miss constantly at dumb distances.

They also do thumb behind their head thing too. Even Hanes says not to do it that he is just stuck in the bad habit.

Felix40

WKR
Funny how in other threads you say your ILF is more efficient than a selfbow, thus you are more successful with it.

If he can pull it there is no downside to the extra energy. Shoot a 95# vs a 60# bow in high wind or through brush and it will be clear which has the advantage.

I don’t get a lot of the comments. Some of them would be comparable to saying “That guy with the BTX really put himself in financial trouble. Why would you ever need to spend that much on glass?” but somehow everyone around here is more inclined to spend money than get strong enough to pull 95#. The fact is that we don’t know how much money or how strong a guy is.

The bow is interesting and unusual, I think it’s cool even though it would be too much for me.
FWIW, i’m not trying to criticize guys that shoot heavy poundage, shoot what makes you feel good.

Bowhunting is a hunting skills and accuracy pursuit. We have all seen what a well placed Arrow will do.

We have all seen guys that are just plain good hunters That are great with second rate equipment. It’s pervasive in these forms that guys focus more on gear than on skill set.

Let’s call it what it is; tinkering with your equipment is a fun hobby. A relatively minor improvement is not going to seriously affect your success rate.

-

Funny how in other threads you say your ILF is more efficient than a selfbow, thus you are more successful with it.

If he can pull it there is no downside to the extra energy. Shoot a 95# vs a 60# bow in high wind or through brush and it will be clear which has the advantage.

I don’t get a lot of the comments. Some of them would be comparable to saying “That guy with the BTX really put himself in financial trouble. Why would you ever need to spend that much on glass?” but somehow everyone around here is more inclined to spend money than get strong enough to pull 95#. The fact is that we don’t know how much money or how strong a guy is.

The bow is interesting and unusual, I think it’s cool even though it would be too much for me.
I like it. If no one tries or tests anything new, where does that leave us?

70lb is literally a cake walk to pull anyways. If you can't pull 70 and have no disability or injuries, that's embarrassing.

Through brush?

Ain't you seen the new Rage?

Designed to pass through brush up to 1" thick before deployment. Guaranteed to stay straight......

This all just seems like magnumitis to me. Power over placement.

I'm not saying people can't shoot that high draw weight, but most can't. Not consistently in field conditions, especially not without extra movement.

If the arrows are built properly, that kind of energy will surely bail you out on some bad shots, and surely allow you to shoot different angles with a greater sense of confidence. These are always concerns with shooting lighter bows with lesser performance.

The way most bows draw today with those crazy cams, all I can say is ouch. Screw drawing, imagine letting down?

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Somewhere in the late 80’s my brother took me to guns and bows in spanaway Washington to prove to the owner I could pull back a 105# bow. I weighed about 165#s but was a timber faller and made it look easy. So then he bought a newer bow that was 105 , I think it was a Pearson? No idea why he did. He then convinced me to go to a Hoyt dealer and prove to the owner that this bow shot faster than they’re bow. Whatever. About that time they came out with I think graphite arrows. Tiny little shafts that the inserts went on the outside. No idea how fast these things shot from that bow but it was a bitch to pull them back out of a cedar bail and the insert never stayed on. Not sure what made me try to do a 3D match with it but that was the last time I ever shot it. My shoulder was fried before I finished. My brother sold the bow.

xOttox

FNG
To each their own but I like my shoulders and will stick with my #55 and knowing my limits for yardage.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk