Joe Rogan 95lb Kong Bow

Hoot

WKR
I just put 80 lb limbs on my bow, I bought it with 60, my back up bow is 70. I can’t really tell a difference drawing either of them.

I am definitely one of those guys that just likes to tinker though.

MattB

WKR
With all the shoulder work going on around here a guy has to wonder how good of an idea 90# would be. That said, I shoot 70# and really don't feel it's a big deal. Know thyself, I suppose.
Yeah, on another dedicating bowhunting website I frequent there are often posts by guys inquiring about shoulder injuries, surgery outcomes, recovery times, etc. Lots of experience on the topic....turns out that sort of thing doesn't only happen to someone else.

Somewhere in the late 80’s my brother took me to guns and bows in spanaway Washington to prove to the owner I could pull back a 105# bow. I weighed about 165#s but was a timber faller and made it look easy. So then he bought a newer bow that was 105 , I think it was a Pearson? No idea why he did. He then convinced me to go to a Hoyt dealer and prove to the owner that this bow shot faster than they’re bow. Whatever. About that time they came out with I think graphite arrows. Tiny little shafts that the inserts went on the outside. No idea how fast these things shot from that bow but it was a bitch to pull them back out of a cedar bail and the insert never stayed on. Not sure what made me try to do a 3D match with it but that was the last time I ever shot it. My shoulder was fried before I finished. My brother sold the bow.

Wait you mean history is repeating itself?

High poundage bows, tiny little micro arrows with outserts, guys trying to prove they can pull the most poundage?

geoff995

WKR
Through brush?
I don’t believe he’s referring to actually shooting through brush itself. What he’s getting at is a flatter shooting bow is easier to shoot through tighter windows in brush. Less arc on the arrows flight.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Wait you mean history is repeating itself?

High poundage bows, tiny little micro arrows with outserts, guys trying to prove they can pull the most poundage?
I’m not even sure if it was cool back then to be honest. I wish we would have chronographed those little bitty arrows though. Those were the over draw days? Where the rest came back and allowed shorter arrows. Been too many years ago so memory isn’t great but they disappeared in flight and would stick through a cedar bail .

I’m not even sure if it was cool back then to be honest. I wish we would have chronographed those little bitty arrows though. Those were the over draw days? Where the rest came back and allowed shorter arrows. Been too many years ago so memory isn’t great but they disappeared in flight and would stick through a cedar bail .

Yeah, wasn't uncommon to have a 25" arrow. Of course most were drawing a minimum of 29". Now everyone is worried about having a broadhead inside the riser, hell back them you had a broadhead over your forearm. Full capture rest? Psshh. TM hunter. Hope you can keep it on there.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Oh yeah I remember that thread very well. Somehow it morphed into an FOC thread. I was curious as to why you built such a beastly arrow. If I remember right you were running Rage's on the front end, very odd combo.
Yes sir it did turn into a FOC thread as I may have mis worded a few things in that pdf.

but yes I’m still running 100 gr rages up front. I was a fan of fixed blades but after going through all the replacement blades, this brand, or that brand I’m sticking with rages. Just a personal preference!

Reactions: Zac

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, wasn't uncommon to have a 25" arrow. Of course most were drawing a minimum of 29". Now everyone is worried about having a broadhead inside the riser, hell back them you had a broadhead over your forearm. Full capture rest? Psshh. TM hunter. Hope you can keep it on there.
Lol, we always used the no gloves? The little plastic things on the string. Releases and peep sights were just coming out if memory serves. I remember taking a guy up to shoot his first deer up where I was cutting timber and he drew back and let off a couple times and I’m like wth? Said his peep wasn’t turning. We used to put a blob of finger nail polish on the string . Different times

Rob5589

WKR
Yep, overdraws with short 2117's, big ole Thunderheads, and crappy flight lol. Then came the thin walled, large diameter shafts; 2413, 2312, etc. The OD went away after that for the most part.

Yep, overdraws with short 2117's, big ole Thunderheads, and crappy flight lol. Then came the thin walled, large diameter shafts; 2413, 2312, etc. The OD went away after that for the most part.
Lol. This thread is turning into a trip down memory lane. Except I shot fingers and a springy rest. And 40” ATA was a short bow.

Reactions: FLS

Rob5589

WKR
Lol. This thread is turning into a trip down memory lane. Except I shot fingers and a springy rest. And 40” ATA was a short bow.
Haha, yep. Me too, springy and fingers. Then I found the Winn Free Flight release and the world changed 😁

Reactions: FLS

Beendare

WKR
Funny how in other threads you say your ILF is more efficient than a selfbow, thus you are more successful with it.
Im not following your rant directed at me.

Are you Somehow making a comparison between an ILF recurve bow to this 95 pound compound?
These are worlds apart don’t you think?

And for the record I never said I shoot an ILF Just because it’s fast, I shoot it because it’s smooth and quiet And highly tunable.

If he can pull it there is no downside to the extra energy…somehow everyone around here is more inclined to spend money than get strong enough to pull 95#. The fact is that we don’t know how much money or how strong a guy is.
hmmmm. I bet if you draw the Venn diagram of people that pull a 95# bow for a long time and those that have shoulder issues at some point, there is a lot of overlap. There is also a big difference between pulling a bow that heavy on a flat range with an ideal stance and pulling it in a less than ideal huntiNg situation. Not to pick on the guy, but I remember a film Brian Call did a few years back mule deer hunting in Canada. He had an odd shot kneeling on a bedded buck and struggled to pull his bow on camera. Then you see Ole cam Hanes pulling special order HOYT’s like they are slot machines.

As I said above, i cranked up the pounds on my bow to about 88# and tweaked my shoulder twice in a season. Both times in a hunting situation. Once on a let down and once drawing in a stand with and odd foot placement/body alignment. i am 250# and work out a few times a week. I haven’t maxed in a while but my deadlift is probably still 450, maybe close to 500#. I am strong enough to pull a 95# bow and I have done it, but I wouldn’t hunt with one. I am back down to about 75# On my primary bow and 65# on my back up. Both fling heavy arrows fairly fast and I can’t see going back to something heavier. Besides, I can pull them sitting, kneeling, straddling a log or root, crouched low or stretched high to clear a branches, etc. and they zip through anything I have hit.

OR Archer

WKR
People forget this isn’t new for Cam or Joe. Cam had a production 90# Defiant a few years back. I even sold a couple of them. I made his Axius Ultra 90# last season. Nothing new at all. Not sure why this topic always gets people riled up.

tsm213

FNG
It’s because they are famous. Lots of Franken bows like this over the years have been built. Seen this same thing on AT. Brings out lots of drama lol.

f84a9d50387ab1c0d57ccc676da340dc.jpg

This one was 114 pounds.
John’s custom archery built it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People forget this isn’t new for Cam or Joe. Cam had a production 90# Defiant a few years back. I even sold a couple of them. I made his Axius Ultra 90# last season. Nothing new at all. Not sure why this topic always gets people riled up.

Because they advertise it.

Like I said, it seems before it wasn't such a thing. Now people feel inferior or like their bow won't kill something because it isn't 80#.

I guess I officially turned in my man card since I ordered a 50# bow this week. Hopefully I can manipulate it to be 53# with the 14# holding weight I'm aiming for.

Rob5589

WKR
It’s because they are famous. Lots of Franken bows like this over the years have been built. Seen this same thing on AT. Brings out lots of drama lol.

f84a9d50387ab1c0d57ccc676da340dc.jpg

This one was 114 pounds.
John’s custom archery built it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
682 grains at 342 fps ZING....!!

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think anybody ever noticed or cared what pound bow I ever shot but a couple guys noticed when I was shooting those little bitty graphite arrows. Never did shoot an animal with one but I’m sure it would have done ok. If the inserts wouldn’t have kept pulling off I probably would have hunted with them but loosing a good broad head in the middle of a cedar bale while practicing wasn’t on my wish list