Joe Rogan and Pot

Fordguy

WKR
Marijuana is less harmful and considerably more beneficial than alcohol or tobacco. Despite this, it remains taboo to talk about in the hunting community. Guys think nothing of discussing beer, whiskey, and chew but some automatically assume that anyone who partakes in marijuana (medically or recreationally) is a dope smoking hippie. It's a good ole boy mentality holdover.
Only point I'd argue on is your statement that it's less harmful than anything else on your list. In my speech pathology undergrad program we covered marijuana (and it's effects on the speech producing systems of the body- so lungs, vocal folds, etc.), tobacco, etc. Weed/mj or however you'd like to reefer to it contains 6 times the number of carcinogens that a tobacco cigarette does. It also contains amine resins. Those same resins are commonly found in epoxies. The only reason you don't see warnings about it is because its not legalized federally, and the feds fund an awful lot of studies. Just because its green and you can grow it doesn't make it a healthy alternative to tobacco. Lol. In this case it's quite the opposite. Are there benefits? I'm not a doctor, but Id say yes. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Not for me. Im sure there are ways to use it that don't involve inhalation or ingestion that are comparatively safe, but I'll still pass. To each their own.

TheGDog

WKR
What in the hell does one have to do with the other?

You may not have heard, or realized this... but there are these people amongst us called "Responsible Adults", who've mastered this strange technique they call... "Moderation"

WinnersDontSmokeWeedChampionsDo.jpg

Editors node: I can't do smoke. Hurts super bad. I have to utilize edible forms. Grew up in an area near refineries and bad air quality which unfortunately had lasting effects on my lung health.

TheGDog

WKR
I would worry way more about him being high on prescription drugs than weed! But lucky for me I'm already cut and I wish I was high when that happened:)
Oh man... you're tellin' me! When they open new surgery centers, they have to do a certain number of free procedures in order to get their accreditation. So my wifes work was opening a new surgery center, so I'm that freebie appt. Doc makes the initial cut... then goes to grab a Cauterizing machine... nope. Doesn't work. Grab another! Nope... no juice. (either machine dead or circuit dead perhaps). I was freakin' out! But then he calmly reassures me that he'll just have to do it ol skool and simply suture the folded ends shut.

Man... you cannot imagine how my heart was racin' as this dude just got finished snippin the tube... and then what's supposed to be the next step in the process isn't happening! In my head I'm all like "This is NOT the time to be finding out that these machines are NOT working here PEOPLE!!!"

Oh man... you're tellin' me! When they open new surgery centers, they have to do a certain number of free procedures in order to get their accreditation. So my wifes work was opening a new surgery center, so I'm that freebie appt. Doc makes the initial cut... then goes to grab a Cauterizing machine... nope. Doesn't work. Grab another! Nope... no juice. (either machine dead or circuit dead perhaps). I was freakin' out! But then he calmly reassures me that he'll just have to do it ol skool and simply suture the folded ends shut.

Man... you cannot imagine how my heart was racin' as this dude just got finished snippin the tube... and then what's supposed to be the next step in the process isn't happening! In my head I'm all like "This is NOT the time to be finding out that these machines are NOT working here PEOPLE!!!"

All right, way off topic here but I can’t resist. Long story short, I work in a hospital, and upon meeting one of the, new to Alaska, urologist for the first time, I asked him if he would be interested in trading a float/fishing trip on the Kenai River for a free vasectomy. He took me up on the offer, and the next day on my lunch break, he made me a new “lesser” man. And no, I wasn’t under the influence of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR

Atleast your doc didn’t say “damn scissors won’t cut- nurse can you look for another pair” … or.. “whoops, I lost it- slipped right out of my hand”…

yep- note to self- no docs over 70 from now on.

Only point I'd argue on is your statement that it's less harmful than anything else on your list. In my speech pathology undergrad program we covered marijuana (and it's effects on the speech producing systems of the body- so lungs, vocal folds, etc.), tobacco, etc. Weed/mj or however you'd like to reefer to it contains 6 times the number of carcinogens that a tobacco cigarette does. It also contains amine resins. Those same resins are commonly found in epoxies. The only reason you don't see warnings about it is because its not legalized federally, and the feds fund an awful lot of studies. Just because its green and you can grow it doesn't make it a healthy alternative to tobacco. Lol. In this case it's quite the opposite. Are there benefits? I'm not a doctor, but Id say yes. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Not for me. Im sure there are ways to use it that don't involve inhalation or ingestion that are comparatively safe, but I'll still pass. To each their own.
Your argument seems to assume that you are comparing smoking marijuana in cigarette form to smoking a tobacco cigarette.

There are numerous ways that cannabis is refined and consumed that don't involve the carcinogens present when plant matter is smoked. Which, obviously, inhaling burning plant material will have a negative effect on soft tissues. I could conduct a similar study on inhaling burning railroad ties. Given what you can find in a licensed dispensary, I would say the pendulum is swinging towards more heavily processed products.

Also, I don't believe anyone has ever promoted it as "an alternative to tobacco." I could be mistaken but I've never heard that.

Im surprised to see this thread brought back up but I will stand by my comment that it strikes me as odd the way outdoorsmen generally look down up one inebriant versus several others.

Did your speech pathology class happen to look at the impacts of tobacco products such as chew and the links to oral diseases including cancer? That seem to me to be much more medically documented than any I'll effects of marijuana.

*Not directed at anyone here*

It amazes me how passionately against pot some people will be in conversation while they pour "one more for the road". The government propaganda against pot sure was/is effective.
Only issue I have with pot is the effect it has on the border and those who are involved and affected by the border trade.

Only issue I have with pot is the effect it has on the border and those who are involved and affected by the border trade.
Federal legality kills 100% of that with the stroke of a pen. It's coming, and not soon enough.

That any man has the audacity to tell me what I can responsibly do to my body is outrageous. And it turns out he can't. Instead he can make me a criminal. **** that guy.

Fordguy

WKR
LongWayAround
If I miss anything here, I'll apologize in advance. For some reason my phone is doing strange things with the "add quote".

As mentioned, tobacco was covered in my undergrad classes. Not just cigarettes. Federal legalities prevent long term studies on the carcinogenic effects of marijuana use and exposure, since most of those studies are federally funded or the labs that would perform the studies receive federal funding that would be eliminated if they took part in such a study. This is why you don't see warnings.
I've often wondered why there isn't a mainstream lab synthesizing the helpful compounds in mj in a regulated dosage in a pill form that would allow doctors to prescribe and treat without the carcinogens.
I'm not sure how many people would try to smoke a railroad tie, where I live, it wouldn't surprise me. In regard to mj in the pot shops, quite a lot of it is sold in dried, green, ready to smoke, form. At last count my middle America college town had more than 20 pot shops. The neighboring county had - at last count 160 grow operations. Who needs that much weed? We're in a fire prone area. Lol. My guess in that we're all going to smoke it at some point whether we want to or not.

I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect the health, safety, or quality of life of someone else. If you want to blaze up in your own home- by all means, have at it.
I do think that people should make informed decisions when it comes to their health.

LongWayAround
If I miss anything here, I'll apologize in advance. For some reason my phone is doing strange things with the "add quote".

As mentioned, tobacco was covered in my undergrad classes. Not just cigarettes. Federal legalities prevent long term studies on the carcinogenic effects of marijuana use and exposure, since most of those studies are federally funded or the labs that would perform the studies receive federal funding that would be eliminated if they took part in such a study. This is why you don't see warnings.
I've often wondered why there isn't a mainstream lab synthesizing the helpful compounds in mj in a regulated dosage in a pill form that would allow doctors to prescribe and treat without the carcinogens.
I'm not sure how many people would try to smoke a railroad tie, where I live, it wouldn't surprise me. In regard to mj in the pot shops, quite a lot of it is sold in dried, green, ready to smoke, form. At last count my middle America college town had more than 20 pot shops. The neighboring county had - at last count 160 grow operations. Who needs that much weed? We're in a fire prone area. Lol. My guess in that we're all going to smoke it at some point whether we want to or not.

I don't have a problem with people doing whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect the health, safety, or quality of life of someone else. If you want to blaze up in your own home- by all means, have at it.
I do think that people should make informed decisions when it comes to their health.
Im not trying to be a dick here so bear with me, but your education on marijuana came from speech pathology classes...? Okay. And you're saying the reason there are no cancer warnings for marijuana is because there are no federal studys showing the potentially carcinogenic effects of it but yet you were taught by your speech teacher that marijuana is 6 times more carcinogenic than tobacco. As you've said, there are no real studys, so where did your professor cherry pick his data from? And in your earlier post you mentioned the resin compound is similar to what's found in epoxy. That's like saying there's cyanide in almonds. Yes, there is cyanide in almonds, but is the quantity even remotely relevant enough to harm you? No.

Fordguy

WKR
Im not trying to be a dick here so bear with me, but your education on marijuana came from speech pathology classes...? Okay. And you're saying the reason there are no cancer warnings for marijuana is because there are no federal studys showing the potentially carcinogenic effects of it but yet you were taught by your speech teacher that marijuana is 6 times more carcinogenic than tobacco. As you've said, there are no real studys, so where did your professor cherry pick his data from? And in your earlier post you mentioned the resin compound is similar to what's found in epoxy. That's like saying there's cyanide in almonds. Yes, there is cyanide in almonds, but is the quantity even remotely relevant enough to harm you? No.
A chemical analysis is not a research study. A chemical analysis doesn't involve individuals smoking or ingesting controlled substances, hence the difference in federal legality between identifying toxins and carcinogens (as well as percentages thereof) and a long term study using human subjects ingesting a controlled substance.
As far as safe quantities of carcinogens go- you're on your own there. Not only will percentages vary from type of mj or sample (and no, I don't know how much) but not all people are affected the same way. Same way with tobacco- a smoker may die from lung cancer in his 50s or he may live to 100 and never have a problem even though that's not terribly likely.

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
Yup. Pretty much.

The federal government decided a plant was illegal and a bunch of "conservatives" think that is a good thing.

The mind boggles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This comment is only semi-accurate "conservatives" are finally coming around, and people like Ron Paul have been for it since before it was cool and before Tipper Gore had her crusades against lyrics in music.

I am a small-scale farmer and our Ag Commissioner is all about hemp and medical marijuana and he is one of the most popular politicians in the state.

In fact, if it weren't for the USDA changing the method in which it measures THC, I would be a licensed hemp farmer today. But with the current method that changed last minute in the 2019 farm bill, it is too risky to make the investment because you run the risk of losing an entire crop if the THC is too high, and under these new methods, there is no way to get quality CBD without worrying about having too high of THC levels.

My aim was to start a genetics farm to sell seeds and clones to bigger farmers in the area and the day that cannabis is legalized I will do that as well.

Reactions: bcv

BBob

WKR
Federal legality kills 100% of that with the stroke of a pen. It's coming, and not soon enough.
Just asking a question here as I don’t recall details of what I’ve read in the past. Wasn’t California getting a resurgence in illicit growing and or illicit importing because they started using the legal sales as a cash cow and ran the taxes so sky high that the illicit was back to being cheaper and therefore desirable? .gov has a habit of attempting things that are good on the surface but so often end up screwing the pooch.

Last edited:
Best to keep a clear head at all times if you can handle that kind of life.....lotsa folks cannot handle that.

"Best"? I think in this case "Best" = "I (*zap*) prefer." As with all preferences, there is no "right", only opinion. Best if you are flying an airplane? Definitely. Best at a bachelor party? Nope, for some. And in most cases no real downside, if any. Most cases.

Just my opinion follows: - It's condescending and outright silly to say someone enjoys recreational drugs because they can't handle life. That is a tired old cliché that never has been true for many if not most of those who alter their consciousness. Of COURSE most any of us can "handle" that kind of life, as virtually all of us do much of the time. Could just as easily say "Best to stay risk free at all times if you can handle that kind of life." They call it tripping for a reason. It's a journey in a sense., an adventure. It's a change of perspective. Etc.

Maybe definitely best for those who can't handle deep introspection to avoid many mind altering substances, because they'll give you a view inside that you might not be able to handle if you have demons. On the other hand, they can be dramatically curative, as we are seeing with the current DMT and magic mushroom research for PTSD.

Rant off.

Last edited: