Joe Rogan and Pot

I’m as conservative as they come. Here’s my take.

I used to be strictly against the recreational use of marijuana. I’m still not for it so to speak because I think it’s wrong to get stoned. Just like it’s wrong to get drunk. I get that from the Bible. Not my own conjuring.

I do believe there are good results of using it in place of many of the pain medications we have in pill form. Including over the counter alternatives. As, I also believe the use of it recreationally results in pot heads that live off tax revenue funded programs put in place by government.

Being fair, there’s millions that do the same due to alcohol abuse too. I don’t blame the alcohol in those cases. So, I can’t blame weed in the changes I’ve witnessed on the western slope of CO coal towns either, since legalization. It’s a people and, the government created welfare programs being exploited by those people at blame. And not the substance they prefer, while abusing the system.

I’ll say this, I was given a small chance to live about 10 years ago. I was hooked upto and pumped full of chemotherapy for over 60 treatments. Along with that came so many pills. To help me keep my food down, to help me keep my blood pressure down with the steroids, to help me sleep, to help me eat, to help me deal with the pain, etc…. It got to the point it was confusing. Not to mention counter productive to take prescribed pharmaceutical medicine to offset the effects of other medicines they were giving me.

It was a merry go round to say the least. I’ve since watched people go through the same treatments. But, their body handles it much differently then mine did. The biggest reason in my mind is the use of weed to make the effects of those treatments, less severe. Versus pills the FDA approve of for such things.

So, I’m in the mindset it’s like all things. People will abuse it and for others, it’s an alternative to synthetic things offered to make life less painful. However, I’ve never seen a stoner steal to support their habit. I’ve never seen them kill over their habit. I’ve never even saw a stoner loose their temper. I can’t say that for people who consume alcohol regularly.

I don’t claim to be smart enough to know all the negatives with legalization. But, I will say that it is being dishonest to believe that all weed use is a negative.

Azone

WKR
Oh man... you're tellin' me! When they open new surgery centers, they have to do a certain number of free procedures in order to get their accreditation. So my wifes work was opening a new surgery center, so I'm that freebie appt. Doc makes the initial cut... then goes to grab a Cauterizing machine... nope. Doesn't work. Grab another! Nope... no juice. (either machine dead or circuit dead perhaps). I was freakin' out! But then he calmly reassures me that he'll just have to do it ol skool and simply suture the folded ends shut.

Man... you cannot imagine how my heart was racin' as this dude just got finished snippin the tube... and then what's supposed to be the next step in the process isn't happening! In my head I'm all like "This is NOT the time to be finding out that these machines are NOT working here PEOPLE!!!"
At least you didn’t have Thriller by Michael Jackson playing in the background during part of your procedure.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I’m as conservative as they come. Here’s my take.

I used to be strictly against the recreational use of marijuana. I’m still not for it so to speak because I think it’s wrong to get stoned. Just like it’s wrong to get drunk. I get that from the Bible. Not my own conjuring.

I do believe there are good results of using it in place of many of the pain medications we have in pill form. Including over the counter alternatives. As, I also believe the use of it recreationally results in pot heads that live off tax revenue funded programs put in place by government.

Being fair, there’s millions that do the same due to alcohol abuse too. I don’t blame the alcohol in those cases. So, I can’t blame weed in the changes I’ve witnessed on the western slope of CO coal towns either, since legalization. It’s a people and, the government created welfare programs being exploited by those people at blame. And not the substance they prefer, while abusing the system.

I’ll say this, I was given a small chance to live about 10 years ago. I was hooked upto and pumped full of chemotherapy for over 60 treatments. Along with that came so many pills. To help me keep my food down, to help me keep my blood pressure down with the steroids, to help me sleep, to help me eat, to help me deal with the pain, etc…. It got to the point it was confusing. Not to mention counter productive to take prescribed pharmaceutical medicine to offset the effects of other medicines they were giving me.

It was a merry go round to say the least. I’ve since watched people go through the same treatments. But, their body handles it much differently then mine did. The biggest reason in my mind is the use of weed to make the effects of those treatments, less severe. Versus pills the FDA approve of for such things.

So, I’m in the mindset it’s like all things. People will abuse it and for others, it’s an alternative to synthetic things offered to make life less painful. However, I’ve never seen a stoner steal to support their habit. I’ve never seen them kill over their habit. I’ve never even saw a stoner loose their temper. I can’t say that for people who consume alcohol regularly.

I don’t claim to be smart enough to know all the negatives with legalization. But, I will say that it is being dishonest to believe that all weed use is a negative.
You haven't seen someone stoned doing most the stuff you say because most people can't tell when someone is high past the big stereotypes from movies/TV.
THC is a psychedelic, it does whatever you want to do, if, as a weed smoker you want to be a lazy POS you will. If you wanna go build something you will.

Just cause someone is high doesn't mean they don't get angry or do other bad stuff, completely unrelated.
I vape pure thc concentrate, have an excellent job, never robbed anyone, have a healthy gun collection, and am regularly smoking throughout the day.
I'm not picking on you, just using your quotes as a talking point as it's interesting to see the start to the end of this thread and the large amounts of negativity from people.

For those with religious hang ups, Jesus' holy anointing oil was absolutely full of thc as the recipe calls for it and he was lathered in it.

Also, in my life with people I've met and continue to meet. There continues to be a "I'm better than that person because I drink and they do ____"
As if being a functioning alcoholic is somehow stand up and everyone else is a shitty person. It's pretty damn hypocritical

Zappaman

WKR
Like alcohol, weed's always been there and about anyone can get it and it's been that way a long time. if you enjoy it or it helps medically- you're going to use it (whatever "IT" is). If you are an idiot and "IT" is used (your choice) to ruin you- that is sadly YOUR choice to abuse "IT".

That said, I feel there never should have been a scheduling of ANY substance where (regardless of one's political stance): it's a fact we created social "deviance" by "outlawing" weed-- but not even denting the supply the entire time.

Despite the 40 year "war on drugs" (heavily supported by Philip Morris and Budweiser and aimed at taking away a "freedom" while "pimping" their own liquor and cigs)... weed never went away. But plenty of young non-violent males went to prison costing us in many ways- including helping establish a very quiet private prison industry.

Alex Jones aside, prisons grew at an alarming rate the last few decades in part due to what was essentially the taking away of a freedom in 1969 to eat or drink what you want. When a freedom you were born with is removed, that is where deviance is created.

Now that weed is finally "back", we see it's exactly what it's always been (but arguably better in quality). BUT we can't get back the trillions spent of arming our interior police, building prisons (with an economic incentive to "fill") and creating a multi-decade long wave of expensive, non-violent felons.

So when Joe Rogan shows exceptional skill in interviewing (while drinking, smoking, whatever...) in MY mind... I see him practicing A FREEDOM (to intake what he chooses) and either succeed or fail based on his decisions he makes (which to date seem to be VERY good ones).

Despite politically "created" leanings (sides), a lot of gun owners here understand FREEDOM as we definitely ALL wish to keep that 2nd Amendment FREEDOM in place while understanding there is going to be a wreck somewhere every minute. Someone is going to get drunk and die, and some ****head is going to go out and shoot innocent people. But we don't take away cars, booze, guns, airplanes and other things that sometimes involves death.

But in the case of weed, what is saddest of all when looking back, is that there was ZERO reason to outlaw it in the first place with PLENTY of examples given in this post by many already. And like the MANY famous icons beloved throughout history who were WELL known (and VERY successful) "drinkers"... I hope to see the smart, successful and witty Joe Rogan stay successful and provide an example of how responsible use of ANYTHING can in fact enhance perception, provide alternate ideas, delay mistakes (as much as promote them), and leave it up to the individual to make decisions- not the government (I hear an echo!)

So I'd say let's ALL stop having opinions of why ANY FREEDOM should be taken away (including freedom of speech and public lands), and start TEACHING our children to not sniff gas to get high (or use alcohol or weed, or whatever "IT" may be) when it's detrimental to their life and health, and instead study the (entire) Bill of Rights and maybe turn off the TV?

Politicians and the corporate sponsored media and campaigns (always behind the curtains) are the reason for massive mistakes like the "war on drugs" (which was initiated by an oligopoly defending their revenue). "We The People" funded it all the while ironically suffering greatly from it in the end by voting our own freedoms away. Not begrudging the lawman his part here BTW- they had to follow orders. The problem is higher-up and we all know it.

We keep allowing politicians (again?) to convince us that they know more than we re. what is (and isn't) good for us. Special Interests (Big Money) Vs. Freedom can be argued five ways, but when we are loosing our public lands and hunting is taken away from the common man, I'd smoke a joint and drink a shot with Joe and talk about it while agreeing it's not right to take away from the public to make company X another trillion (*we'll often end up paying for 10 times over, years later) when the extremely ironic result is: THE lost FREEDOMS we were born with and now... do not have.

Last edited:
You haven't seen someone stoned doing most the stuff you say because most people can't tell when someone is high past the big stereotypes from movies/TV.
THC is a psychedelic, it does whatever you want to do, if, as a weed smoker you want to be a lazy POS you will. If you wanna go build something you will.

Just cause someone is high doesn't mean they don't get angry or do other bad stuff, completely unrelated.
I vape pure thc concentrate, have an excellent job, never robbed anyone, have a healthy gun collection, and am regularly smoking throughout the day.
I'm not picking on you, just using your quotes as a talking point as it's interesting to see the start to the end of this thread and the large amounts of negativity from people.

For those with religious hang ups, Jesus' holy anointing oil was absolutely full of thc as the recipe calls for it and he was lathered in it.

Also, in my life with people I've met and continue to meet. There continues to be a "I'm better than that person because I drink and they do ____"
As if being a functioning alcoholic is somehow stand up and everyone else is a shitty person. It's pretty damn hypocritical
If that’s your belief then good for you. I can tell when someone’s stoned. Just like you can tell. If you believe that isn’t true, you are fooling yourself.

If that’s your belief then good for you. I can tell when someone’s stoned. Just like you can tell. If you believe that isn’t true, you are fooling yourself.

Nope. You are just wrong. The more you talk about this the clearer it is you are way out of your lane.

You can tell when some people are very high. You can't tell when some people are mildly high, or are wildly high, or have been taking edibles. It varies from person to person.

TheGDog

WKR
No... I'm sorry... but I must disagree here. What you CAN tell... is when someone has enough of a substance in their system such that it creates impairment. THAT... is what you CAN tell.

What you CANNOT tell when someone has a judicious and careful amount of a substance in their system. Such as... just enough that it helps them to overcome shyness and anxiety and thus act like a "social lubricant" so to speak. In fact, people do that very thing ALL.. THE... TIME... with Rx'd stuff such as the various Benzos like Xanax. When done right/correctly, trust me, you're not going to know.

-=-=-=-

Another really bizarre and sorta related observation I have is that a sh*t-ton of people have these really wildly bizarre and wildly off-base pre-conceptions as to the affects that SSRI anti-despressants have on people!

We've all probably heard the expression "Walk a mile in that other man's shoes, before you judge." And yet... it's soo weird how a crap-ton of people (whom likely themselves would GREATLY benefit from finding an SSRI that works for them) sit there and spew out all these weird-ass statements about what they think an SSRI does to how people behave. Were you to believe them.... they'd have you believe that taking a Prozac would instantly turn you into a Maniac with no self-control, etc. And sure, just like with any other external substance, you're always going to have some folks who are out-liers with weird physiology where weirdo side-effects happen. That's just a given for any substance taken in. But this kinda folk paints a picture of like "reefer-madness" in terms of these classes of meds. It's so weird and dumb and I might add terribly hurtful too, for they create stigma, which often makes good-meaning folks shy away from seeking the help they could greatly benefit from!

And then... ya got these illogical people who are all weirdly and foolishly militantly against taking ANY kind of med! Like even to the point that they will choose to wallow in suffering, when a simple, safe, and effective bit of help is readily available for exactly what is ailing them in that moment. Meh... I dunno... I suppose if you're not the adventurous type and you don't like to partake in sketchy actvities that frequently lead to injury.. I suppose I could see their POV. However, such an individual takes it to VEGAN-like levels of annoying and insulting when they do it. As if they like being able to virtue-signal that they are stupid and prefer to suffer. It's like... when did we start praising the combination of stupid, hard-headed And illogical? WTF is up with that?

Don't get me wrong, if the malady is minor, sure, a little grin and bear it is fine. But the type I'm talking about... it's like it's their red-badge of courage to be able to proclaim something like "I got all 4 Wisdom teeth removed, and after the local wore-off I didn't take anything, I just gutted it out for X days. Ooh man it sucked, BAD! glad that's over with!" To me... I'm sorry but THAT person's a f**king idiot. Because I have no doubt in my mind that life WILL... always... be able to throw something at you in the future that hurts more than anything you've already experienced so far. So why willfully put yourself thru any pain you don't have to?

And I mean, like when pregnancy, or the desire for shortest possible healing period is possibly the goal of going without the help of a med. Sure, you know, of course I can understand that type of deal. But barring things like that.... purposefully choosing to turn-down external help because, I dunno, you think it makes you tougher or something... that's just stupid. Like in a real BIG way.

TheGDog

WKR
At least you didn’t have Thriller by Michael Jackson playing in the background during part of your procedure.
My insane comedic mind can think of a plethora of funny ways you could take that skit!

Fun fact... the Urologist performing the procedure on me had a strong resemblance to Will Smith.

Nope. You are just wrong. The more you talk about this the clearer it is you are way out of your lane.

You can tell when some people are very high. You can't tell when some people are mildly high, or are wildly high, or have been taking edibles. It varies from person to person.
Wrong about what? My opinion?
I’ve never read anywhere in the opening post we should all agree.

No... I'm sorry... but I must disagree here. What you CAN tell... is when someone has enough of a substance in their system such that it creates impairment. THAT... is what you CAN tell.

What you CANNOT tell when someone has a judicious and careful amount of a substance in their system. Such as... just enough that it helps them to overcome shyness and anxiety and thus act like a "social lubricant" so to speak. In fact, people do that very thing ALL.. THE... TIME... with Rx'd stuff such as the various Benzos like Xanax. When done right/correctly, trust me, you're not going to know.

-=-=-=-

Another really bizarre and sorta related observation I have is that a sh*t-ton of people have these really wildly bizarre and wildly off-base pre-conceptions as to the affects that SSRI anti-despressants have on people!

We've all probably heard the expression "Walk a mile in that other man's shoes, before you judge." And yet... it's soo weird how a crap-ton of people (whom likely themselves would GREATLY benefit from finding an SSRI that works for them) sit there and spew out all these weird-ass statements about what they think an SSRI does to how people behave. Were you to believe them.... they'd have you believe that taking a Prozac would instantly turn you into a Maniac with no self-control, etc. And sure, just like with any other external substance, you're always going to have some folks who are out-liers with weird physiology where weirdo side-effects happen. That's just a given for any substance taken in. But this kinda folk paints a picture of like "reefer-madness" in terms of these classes of meds. It's so weird and dumb and I might add terribly hurtful too, for they create stigma, which often makes good-meaning folks shy away from seeking the help they could greatly benefit from!

And then... ya got these illogical people who are all weirdly and foolishly militantly against taking ANY kind of med! Like even to the point that they will choose to wallow in suffering, when a simple, safe, and effective bit of help is readily available for exactly what is ailing them in that moment. Meh... I dunno... I suppose if you're not the adventurous type and you don't like to partake in sketchy actvities that frequently lead to injury.. I suppose I could see their POV. However, such an individual takes it to VEGAN-like levels of annoying and insulting when they do it. As if they like being able to virtue-signal that they are stupid and prefer to suffer. It's like... when did we start praising the combination of stupid, hard-headed And illogical? WTF is up with that?

Don't get me wrong, if the malady is minor, sure, a little grin and bear it is fine. But the type I'm talking about... it's like it's their red-badge of courage to be able to proclaim something like "I got all 4 Wisdom teeth removed, and after the local wore-off I didn't take anything, I just gutted it out for X days. Ooh man it sucked, BAD! glad that's over with!" To me... I'm sorry but THAT person's a f**king idiot. Because I have no doubt in my mind that life WILL... always... be able to throw something at you in the future that hurts more than anything you've already experienced so far. So why willfully put yourself thru any pain you don't have to?

And I mean, like when pregnancy, or the desire for shortest possible healing period is possibly the goal of going without the help of a med. Sure, you know, of course I can understand that type of deal. But barring things like that.... purposefully choosing to turn-down external help because, I dunno, you think it makes you tougher or something... that's just stupid. Like in a real BIG way.
Ok.

grfox92

WKR
No you can't. You are probably observing people high on hard drugs thinking they are stoned on weed. You clearly don't have a circle of friends where people regularly smoke weed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fordguy

WKR
*facepalm... So many people uttering absolutes. I could tell as a kid when my older brother had been smoking weed. I can still tell today 35 years later.
I worked for 10 years with a functioning alcoholic and I could tell when he'd been drinking. They both thought (and still think) no one can tell.
Am I going to say that I could reliably pick unfamiliar individuals out of a crowd and determine whether or not they're buzzed on some substance? Of course not. Could I do it with a lesser degree of accuracy? Possibly, but that would depend on the group of individuals, and their physical/physiological reactions to their drug of choice as well as their method of imbibing. It might also depend on proximity. Some smokers have a poor sense of smell and assume that there is no residual odor. For me, pot smoke has always been an unpleasant and very noticeable odor.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Public land stoners have been in the conservation realm for longer than Rogan has been alive. He also talks aboit the danger of poison pot grown with pesticides as well as the incursion of illegal growers on public land. He has also inspired a lot of people to get sober with his Sober October idea. I think he reaches more people with positive messaging than he would if he were a 100% clean and sober type.

My best friend smokes / eats edibles all the time. I can't tell if he has or hasn't unless he's really getting after it on a special occasion.

CorbLand

WKR
I feel like a lot of people have an image of what a pot smoker is but don't understand the reality. I can tell when someone is piss drunk but cant tell when someone has a buzz.

Zappaman

WKR
Funny to see that there are so many opinions of "perception" of who is what! Truth is, I KNOW several states in the US today that have MILLIONS of functioning THC users- most successful contributors to society. But I can't know this if I don't know them-- unless they are "GargilBlasted"

Yes, IF WE KNOW the person, we certainly can tell if they have had a drink or a toke. And we ALL can certainly "tell" if someone if wasted in public. BUT, as Salvador Dali said when asked if he took drugs... he said, "I AM DRUGS." There are thousands of molecules that affect us ALL in MAY different ways.

Our food (i.e. energy drinks) is FULL of toxins that have some of those effects- but if they don't make us VERY "high"... then it's usually (according to the FDA the last 25 years) OK to sell it to us to consume. GMO Soy oil used to be thrown out (not even given to lifestock) 40 years ago. Today it's in ANYTHING with oil (Yes... check the labels on your expensive salad dressings).

But to the point: ONLY substances that made one "high" were scheduled back in 1969. If there was no euphoric effect- it wasn't on the list. Why were THOUSANDS of OTHER substances (molecules) NOT scheduled? OK, I won't go down that (political rabbit hole) ;)

Bottom line is that IF YOU KNOW the person... yes you will immediately know when they are in an altered state. But many people (including political leaders) HAVE lived 24/7 in altered states and we've not known the wiser. IF we don't know, it IS because they have managed "IT" well (whatever "IT" is they managed). Not a "good/bad" judgement here- they may have been wonderful, they may have been evil.

But you can be sure drugs (molecules) have been around a LONG time and the political PR machine (and it's backers) have lead the misinformation campaign for a LONG time on the certain substances that indeed open the doors of perception (another way of saying that they allow us to QUESTION authority-- JUST like our founding forefathers did when they made the USA and gave us the Bill Of Rights- BTW).

But those in charge have had some agenda (since time began-- fill in the blank here) and in my lifetime, we've been "consuming" their rhetoric on "drugs" (molecules they don't want us to consume) since 1969.

Last edited:
I smoke two joints in the morning. I smoke two joints at night.
I smoke two joints in the afternoon. It makes me feel alright
i smoke two joints in time of peace. And two in time of war
I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints.. and then I smoke two more!!
whoaa whoa woe wa wa wa

substitute two beers, two shots, etc. Alleged conservatives who say they believe in freedom should mind their own business about what I have in my medicine cabinet or my liquor cabinet.

That being said I don’t drive high or drunk. Or work on guitars, or reload.