Joint Supplements for dogs?

motts

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience giving their active dog who's starting to slow down/getting arthritic a joint supplememnt?

I mentioned to my vet that I've noticed my guy taking more time to recover after especially active days or extended trips afield, and she mentioned a supplement to help. I read a little bit about them, but would like to hear some real world experience if you have any.

Thanks in advance!

OP
M

motts

Lil-Rokslider
Nobody has any experience or insight with this?

jmez

WKR
They all will come with claims that they cure everything. There is no objective evidence that they work. They are mostly going to be a combination of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine + some secret ingredient that makes each one special and a cure all.

They are not harmful. If you want to tryea one pick one and give it a go. They aren't cheap so most will justify the cost convincing themselves they work.

They are unregulated products do you really don't know what you are getting. Independent studies have been done looking at ingredients and most have no where near what the label claims. You could grind up grass clippings in your garage, package it and sell it as a join supplement.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I used to give the glucosamine + chondroitin to my two aging setters. I'd start about a month before hunting season and give through the season (Aug through Feb). I believed they worked. You can save some coin by giving human versions, it's the same stuff, just not liver flavored. Don't expect immediate results, you might not perceive anything for a month. You might also try leaning up your dog, hunt him skinny. Reduces the loads on the joints.

87TT

WKR
I take it and it works for my old joints. My 3 year old lab was having issues with her rear legs joints and I started giving it to her. It won't hurt but you do have to give it regularly for a while for it to do any good. Turns out my dog has acl problems and is going in for surgery next week.

Wrench

WKR
My ex wife and dogs mom is a vet and she put our dog on carpovet, its an anti inflammatory that does help for sure.

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
Check this out

I have 2 older huskies that are former sled dogs. I saw some improvements while they were taking it. after about a year they both refused to eat it though. Only been a month with this new stuff from pet lab but seems to be helping.

cg2737

WKR
Our 8 year old Golden retriever had began limping after exercise or laying for longer periods. We took her to the vet and they put her on anti inflammatory meds. They helped but were not meant for long term use. We changed her food to non grain with Candroiten and glucosamine and began giving her Dasuquin in the morning. We have been doing this for about two years now and she is like a new dog. We tried the one from TV Cosaquin and it did not seem to help.
06222afc3bdf0a77ee7188eaad4cc9e5.jpg

3c723384e80cec4957971cab3bcf28a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

motts

Lil-Rokslider
They all will come with claims that they cure everything. There is no objective evidence that they work. They are mostly going to be a combination of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine + some secret ingredient that makes each one special and a cure all.

They are not harmful. If you want to tryea one pick one and give it a go. They aren't cheap so most will justify the cost convincing themselves they work.

They are unregulated products do you really don't know what you are getting. Independent studies have been done looking at ingredients and most have no where near what the label claims. You could grind up grass clippings in your garage, package it and sell it as a join supplement.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

That was my fear - I'm always a little leery when a doctor/vet suggests something along these lines. I want to do what I can to keep him going at the highest level possible for as long as possible, but I don't want to just piss money away either. Thanks.

Coldtrail

WKR
It is an industry that is a little questionable for sure. I've tried several OTC and some dogs it might have helped and some it didn't. The one thing that seemed to help them all was Rymidal, generic Novox or Carpofren. It's a prescription anti inflammatory that can be given only when they need it. My theory was to give it to them AFTER they hunt because you don't want the pain masked while they hunt or you risk further injuries. By giving it to them after it allows them a good night's rest and better recovery. Certainly not scientific, but a theory I have from having hunting dogs my whole life. There is an interweb full of Rymidal horror stories, much of which I think are people using it on very old dogs with other health issues hoping it is a miracle drug. I suppose an aspirin might do the same thing? But I have seen definite improvement on the above drugs and never had any issues. I do use OTC supplements but start them pretty young on it at 6-7, before I see problem, not sure if it works or if I'd get similar results feeding the dollar bills directly to them. My last dogs went to 14, 14, 14, 13, and 15 with all but one still hunting up until their final year, I have no idea what I'm doing right but something is keeping them going. They do run every single day or join me on a 5+ mile hike & I think that helps so they don't lay around much.

OP
M

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I take it and it works for my old joints. My 3 year old lab was having issues with her rear legs joints and I started giving it to her. It won't hurt but you do have to give it regularly for a while for it to do any good. Turns out my dog has acl problems and is going in for surgery next week.

Hoping for a speedy recovery after her surgery!

OP
M

motts

Lil-Rokslider
Our 8 year old Golden retriever had began limping after exercise or laying for longer periods. We took her to the vet and they put her on anti inflammatory meds. They helped but were not meant for long term use. We changed her food to non grain with Candroiten and glucosamine and began giving her Dasuquin in the morning. We have been doing this for about two years now and she is like a new dog. We tried the one from TV Cosaquin and it did not seem to help.
06222afc3bdf0a77ee7188eaad4cc9e5.jpg

3c723384e80cec4957971cab3bcf28a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's already on a grain-free diet (Fromm Heartland Gold) and has been since he was a puppy due to digestive issues, but I'll have to see if they have anything with the supplements added in as well. Thanks.

OP
M

motts

Lil-Rokslider
My last dogs went to 14, 14, 14, 13, and 15 with all but one still hunting up until their final year

Wow! You've been very fortunate to have them that long. My last two (brothers) made it to 13 and 15, unfortunately they weren't hunting much after 10 or so. I also agree that regular activity is a big part of it.

Coldtrail

WKR
I wish I knew the secret myself, I might have to start myself on a diet of quality dog food and glucosamine soon!

SEIA

FNG
There’s a vet on a dedicated upland forum (maybe gundogforum, can’t remember now) that started making various supplements. Small batch but it’s good stuff from what I read. I’ll have to see if I can find it.

Platinum CJ is the best on the market. Dasuquin is good as well. My wife is an anesthesiologist at a large equine hospital and those are the only two joint supplements she will allow our animals to take. We’ve seen better results from the Platinum, but one of our dogs is a picky eater and won’t eat the powder from Platinum so we give her the pills from Dasuquin and they have helped her as well.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
As hunters we have access to nature’s best joint fix that we hardly ever use. I’ve been adding a little bone broth into my lab’s food every day. I just keep the broth from my deer and antelope shank roasts in the the crock pot with the knuckle bones for an extra day or two and add a little bit to his food. Extra collagen in his diet (and mine) definitely can’t hurt. The best part is it’s cheap and easy to make from a part of the animal a lot of guys just leave in the field