Judge my 6.5cm performance on bull elk

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
Those bullets tell me you can stretch that load further than you did. If you were walking the line of not having enough energy/velocity the bullets wouldn't have expanded as much as they did. Hide is tough to get through with a blunt object that doesn't way much.
Good point. I’m always amazed at how tough it can be to put a knife through a bulls hide.

Good point. I’m always amazed at how tough it can be to put a knife through a bulls hide.
And that's when you've got muscle and bone structure to negate a lot of the elasticity. An exiting bullet has to deal with the thickness/toughness of the hide and the fact there's nothing on the other side to keep the hide from behaving like a trampoline.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I shot a cow with my 6.5CM at 410 a couple years ago with 143 ELDX. Punched her right behind the front shoulder and it came out the other side. Entrance was barely noticeable and the exit was about a golf ball sized.

That's better than the performance my daughter got on a WT doe. The 143gr ELDX separated and found both the lead and copper just under the offside hide from 375 yards.........on a small doe. We would have been satisfied with even a 3/8" exit hole.

slowelk

WKR
I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is a bit over hyped ,mainly because on paper its very efficient and the target shooters are getting some amazing results and the marketing has over sold its capabilities a bit . But as we all know what happens on paper doesn't always go so well in the field .Shot placement is the critical factor as we all know but another is being honest with ourselves about our own abilities I wont use my Creedmoor past 450 as i feel it is getting to edge of its performance envelope to kill well beyond that. That being said i will go to 600 with my 6,5 prc because it has that bit more power and i know it will be well inside its performance envelope . I shoot mainly Red deer here and im not sure how they equate size wise to your other deer sizes i know elk are quite a bit larger. We have a small Elk herd here in NZ and to get to hunt them is for a lot hunters a once in a life time thing and i would using something with a bit more grunt like a 300 wsm or similar on such a large deer .Braaap well done on your success ,your Creedmoor worked well but i would be using something bigger on such a big animal and the next one might not be so close .

This is based on your feelings, not data. The data says that most cup and core 6.5 rounds will expand down to 1800fps, and the 6.5 creed has that out past 600. Shot placement and bullet expansion is what kills animals, not feeling you have enough gun to do the job. OPs experience is the real-life experience to back up the data that a 6.5 can kill large mammals and have performance left to spare.

OP also said he likes shooting his 6.5 because of the low recoil. Low recoil = better shot placement. Keep shooting your 6.5 creed OP. Your experience should only build your confidence.

CorbLand

WKR
I hear you. It’s difficult to argue with its performance in this example but I know on paper there are better choices. I might look into getting another rifle with elk in mind. I really dislike shooting rifles with heavy recoil and I shoot my 6.5 very well and it’s incredibly accurate.

I might look at a 30-06, 300 wsm, 7 rm etc. My 6.5 is a Tikka and I’ll stick with that. Kinda thinking the 7rm with a limb saver might be tolerable.
7RM in a Tikka isn't terrible but its also not a walk in the park. I have one and am looking at putting a break on it to tame it down a little bit.

brsnow

WKR
If your shots are under 500 yards I can’t see where a magnum provides added benefit. Good thing is you get to shoot what you like.

TxxAgg

WKR
I hear you. It’s difficult to argue with its performance in this example but I know on paper there are better choices. I might look into getting another rifle with elk in mind. I really dislike shooting rifles with heavy recoil and I shoot my 6.5 very well and it’s incredibly accurate.

I might look at a 30-06, 300 wsm, 7 rm etc. My 6.5 is a Tikka and I’ll stick with that. Kinda thinking the 7rm with a limb saver might be tolerable.

I've have a T3x in 6.5 and recently bought one in 30-06. After 100 rounds over 3 shooting sessions, the 30-06 is definitely more recoil but no big deal. The rifles have the same scope, rings, etc.

I am on the fence about "needing" the 30-06 but I'm glad that the one I bought is accurate and doesn't kick me to death. That being said, I can't see stepping up to anything larger in a 7.5# package.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
I've have a T3x in 6.5 and recently bought one in 30-06. After 100 rounds over 3 shooting sessions, the 30-06 is definitely more recoil but no big deal. The rifles have the same scope, rings, etc.

I am on the fence about "needing" the 30-06 but I'm glad that the one I bought is accurate and doesn't kick me to death. That being said, I can't see stepping up to anything larger in a 7.5# package.
My buddy killed a similar bull two weeks earlier with a Tikka in 30-06 from 200 yards. Same result as my 6.5. Two quick shots and fell over dead. I was right next to him and watched it. I’ll give his 30-06 a try next time we go to the range just to get an idea of the recoil but I think I’ll just stick with my 6.5.

Looks like the Accubonds and the Creedmoor performed quite nicely. You will have plenty of pop and expansion at 400 or even 500 yards and the bullet will still mushroom nicely.

1601677038979.png
These were shot into water jugs lined up at 400 yards with the 30-06 & 500 with the 300 WSM. I had the jugs sitting on particle board so it was easier to line them up and keep them together. The 30-06 expanded nicely but it was partially effected by clipping the particle board before it hit the jug. Still was found in the back of jug #5, gallon water jugs. The 300 WSM was found sitting between jug 5 & jug 6 on the particle board having had enough pop to exit jug 5.

These are 4 - 90 gr. Accubonds out of my 6mm Remington at 3208 fps shot into water jugs at 25 yards. That's a pretty brutal test. Penetrated and recovered in jug #5.

1601677325865.png

TxxAgg

WKR
My buddy killed a similar bull two weeks earlier with a Tikka in 30-06 from 200 yards. Same result as my 6.5. Two quick shots and fell over dead. I was right next to him and watched it. I’ll give his 30-06 a try next time we go to the range just to get an idea of the recoil but I think I’ll just stick with my 6.5.

Keep us posted. I wouldn't mind getting my $1000 back :)

hodgeman

WKR
That looks pretty typical for a recovered Accubond. I'd call that pretty darn good and would use them in the future. You can add a little distance without worry.

sndmn11

WKR
This is a good discussion!

When looking at the accubond examples in the original post, and reading they didn't pass through, I am wondering out loud if there is a point where a lower velocity might produce more penetration because of less expansion of the bullet (therefore less decelerating resistance)?

I would think there is some point where it looks more like a snubbed cigarette butt rather than a mushroom, and that lack of frontal resistance combined with less bleed off of velocity maybe might almost get a punch through with less internal damage.

Slowelk , if we based everything on the data no one would have a Creedmoor cause according to the data a 260 is better, And no its not feeling its a few years of running a 260 65x55 6.5prc and now a Creedmoor and knowing what i am happy with. I would rather be a bit conservative and have dead deer than the thought of one i cant find and it dying slowly .

MT257

WKR
I killed a mature 6pt bull on Sunday with my 6.5cm and I’m looking for opinions on its performance. Shot federal premium 140 grain accubond, hit him twice in the vitals from 250 yards and he fell over dead in seconds. So obviously it worked great! My question lies in whether or not I should use this caliber on future elk hunts. I recovered both bullets stuck in the hide in the opposite side from impact.

My worry is that if my shot was from further away it wouldn’t have been as effective possibly. I passed on a broadside shot at 400 yards on him earlier because I knew it would probably be pushing the limits of the 6.5cm.

if you have a scale would you be willing to share the bullets that you recovered? I’m always curious what the weight retention is.

Ballistics calcs are showing that load dropping below 1500 ft.lb of energy at 400 yards. I would think 400 would be an absolute maximum with what I would be comfortable with. It sounds like that's where you're at anyway.

That being said the accubond is a great bullet. I have had very good luck with them as well. Haven't caught one yet though.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
if you have a scale would you be willing to share the bullets that you recovered? I’m always curious what the weight retention is.
I’ll try to weigh them later today when I get home.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
So each bullet currently weighs 7 grams and according to an online conversion app that’s 108 grains. Seems pretty good?

I don’t want this discussion to go down the ft/lb rabbit hole. I’ve read plenty of debate on that subject on RS before and I’d like to keep this related to bullet penetration and expansion.