Judge my 6.5cm performance on bull elk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So each bullet currently weighs 7 grams and according to an online conversion app that’s 108 grains. Seems pretty good?

I don’t want this discussion to go down the ft/lb rabbit hole. I’ve read plenty of debate on that subject on RS before and I’d like to keep this related to bullet penetration and expansion.

So what is your concern?

Slowelk , if we based everything on the data no one would have a Creedmoor cause according to the data a 260 is better

How does “data” tell you the 260 is better?

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
So what is your concern?

How does “data” tell you the 260 is better?
Only concern I have was the lack of an exit and if this cartridge would be adequate had I taken the first shot opportunity I had at 400. I’m very happy with the performance of my 6.5cm. It couldn’t have done better. Big bull and he died in seconds. I think he was dead on his feet from the first shot but I shot him again to be safe.

This is only my second elk with the 6.5cm and the first was a spike. I’ve also killed two mule deer with it and had excellent results. The spike was 400 yards, and one mule deer 400 and the other 300.

I just wanted to hear from others like yourself that probably have more experience than I do to give their opinion.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Only concern I have was the lack of an exit and if this cartridge would be adequate had I taken the first shot opportunity I had at 400.

At 400 he would have died. Lots of Accubonds regardless of caliber will be caught on the exit side- just like lots of projectiles with similar characteristics. Bullets that expand into big round balls tend to do that. Not exiting hide, is not the same as not having sufficient penetration inside the animal. Maintain adequate impact velocity for bummer upset and you’ll be fine.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
Form I appreciate you commenting as I value your opinion. Let me ask this, how far would you stretch this particular round?

Don't underestimate the penetration of a 6.5 MM bullet. Wayne van Zwoll got full penetration on bull elk with a 129 Gr. SST from a 6.5 Creedmor at 603 yards, watch the YouTube video. Accubonds are way tougher.

CPD

FNG
Looks like it performed perfectly. Good discussion. Most important factors are shot placement and adequate penetration. Sounds like your velocity is still within Nosler’s recommendations at 500 yds. If you’re sensitive to recoil (we all are to varying degrees if we’re honest), then moving to a heavier caliber will just negatively impact that first factor. Leave well enough alone.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
Some nice things about shooting my 6.5cm is that I enjoy shooting it because of the low recoil, the accuracy (shot placement is key), and the ability for quick follow up shots. I’m able to stay on target through my scope and watch impacts.

I’ll continue using it for elk. I have no interest in a muzzle brake so I’ll stay away from the magnums for now. I’d like to get a suppressor and maybe pairing it with a 7rm or 300 wsm will make sense then.

hodgeman

WKR
Some nice things about shooting my 6.5cm is that I enjoy shooting it because of the low recoil, the accuracy (shot placement is key), and the ability for quick follow up shots... and maybe pairing it with a 7rm or 300 wsm will make sense then.

I use the 6.5 and 300WSM combo. It works for me. The recovered bullets at 108gr. gives you 77% weight retention which is pretty typical with Accubonds at that impact speed.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I was considering using a 127 LRX in my creedmoor for elk but was worried about what would happen if I hit a shoulder. If it can't make it through on a 250y rib shot I guess I'm more worried about that... Bullets look great though.

Way to be conservative with the shooting and congrats on your bull!
Don't worry about hitting bone with Barnes bullets. They are at there best when you hit bone. Thats the main advantage of a mono, they penetrate like no other. On deer you kind of need to shoot the shoulder with heavy for caliber bullets. On elk I almost guarantee if you shoot ribs it will exit anywhere inside 300, and likely at further ranges as well.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you. It’s difficult to argue with its performance in this example but I know on paper there are better choices. I might look into getting another rifle with elk in mind. I really dislike shooting rifles with heavy recoil and I shoot my 6.5 very well and it’s incredibly accurate.

I might look at a 30-06, 300 wsm, 7 rm etc. My 6.5 is a Tikka and I’ll stick with that. Kinda thinking the 7rm with a limb saver might be tolerable.
I have a Remington 700 in .300WM with the limb saver factory pad, and I watch deer fall in the scope, even with TTSX 180's. This rifle has a sporter barrel, and is awfully light for a .300, yet somehow it is pleasant to shoot and plenty accurate. I feel like Remington got the bore axis just right in relation to the stock. If you're looking for a 7mm mag, I'd look to the Remington with the factory limb saver pad.

FLS

WKR
You shoot it well and it has worked repeatedly for you. Don’t overthink it. If you want an exit, try the Barnes LRX.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
You shoot it well and it has worked repeatedly for you. Don’t overthink it. If you want an exit, try the Barnes LRX.
I tried the factory Barnes 127lrx and I wasn’t happy with the accuracy. I also tried the Hornady superformance and outfitter with the 120gmx and those are also not very accurate out of my rifle.

I guess my rifle just likes the heavier for caliber bullets? The 140 accubond and 143 eldx are fantastic.

ericwh

WKR
My friends Tikka Superlite did not like the 127LRX factory ammunition. He tried my 127LRX handloads (developed for my Tikka lite) and they were sub-moa at 100y.

Maybe reloading, a friend who reloads, or doing something with Unknown Munitions is an option if you want a little more performance out of your 6.5?

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
My friends Tikka Superlite did not like the 127LRX factory ammunition. He tried my 127LRX handloads (developed for my Tikka lite) and they were sub-moa at 100y.

Maybe reloading, a friend who reloads, or doing something with Unknown Munitions is an option if you want a little more performance out of your 6.5?
I’d like to get into reloading at some point but that probably won’t be anytime soon. I have some friends that reload and I could try that route or going through unknown munitions like you suggested. I do plan on hunting my buddies property in CA for pigs so I need to figure out a non lead load that works for my rifle.

I shot an elk this year with a 6.5 and am wondering what your guys take on this is. I ranged him at 288 bedded. shooting the 143 gr hornadys. my shot hit him right in the crease but did not hit bone. he slunched over in his bed enough to know I hit him, but it was through a small hole (maybe 3 foot diameter close to elk). knowing a 6.5 is on the light side I put another bullet in and held on him for a real 5 minutes. and saw no movement and thought I could make out a small red blob behind the shoulder like slight blood leakage out the entry. started packing up and checked on him in the binos over the next ten minutes and still there looking dead. about 45 minutes later I get 20 yards from him and he takes off running 50 yards or so and stops. its thick and I couldn't see him but I knew he was alone. ended up having to shoot him again. he was clearly messed up and bleeding a little when I found him standing. any thoughts of what happened? or is that the 6.5 life when it comes to elk? cause the shot looked to me to be a picture purfect location when I was cutting him up?

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
I shot an elk this year with a 6.5 and am wondering what your guys take on this is. I ranged him at 288 bedded. shooting the 143 gr hornadys. my shot hit him right in the crease but did not hit bone. he slunched over in his bed enough to know I hit him, but it was through a small hole (maybe 3 foot diameter close to elk). knowing a 6.5 is on the light side I put another bullet in and held on him for a real 5 minutes. and saw no movement and thought I could make out a small red blob behind the shoulder like slight blood leakage out the entry. started packing up and checked on him in the binos over the next ten minutes and still there looking dead. about 45 minutes later I get 20 yards from him and he takes off running 50 yards or so and stops. its thick and I couldn't see him but I knew he was alone. ended up having to shoot him again. he was clearly messed up and bleeding a little when I found him standing. any thoughts of what happened? or is that the 6.5 life when it comes to elk? cause the shot looked to me to be a picture purfect location when I was cutting him up?
I shot a spike elk a couple years ago, hit him a little too far back. He bedded and I shot him again from 100 yards. The second shot through rear part of front shoulder. I was shooting the 143 eldx. It was right at last light and I gave him to time to expire. Well he wasn’t dead when I walked up on him awhile later and came back in the morning and dead elk. When I processed him I could tell that the bullet fragmented into a bunch of pieces.

I shot a mule deer with the 143 eldx a week later from 400 yards and it fragmented pretty bad. The buck died quick but I was no longer confident in the bullet for elk so I switched to the accubond with great results. My buddy had a similar experience that season with the 143eldx and his mule deer.

Kotaman

WKR
Here has been my common results with CM and a 143 ELD X: Pencil size going in, golf ball coming out. More than enough for an elk at <500 yards. The “bigs” will obviously do better on a marginal hit but the CM will do the job. Here’s my goat exit from a couple weeks ago at 402 yards. This one was a little bigger exit than what I’ve normally seen. Bang/Flop.

Attachments

• 807171E9-D72C-42FE-B0BD-C6028F285109.jpeg
    807171E9-D72C-42FE-B0BD-C6028F285109.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 24
I shot a spike elk a couple years ago, hit him a little too far back. He bedded and I shot him again from 100 yards. The second shot through rear part of front shoulder. I was shooting the 143 eldx. It was right at last light and I gave him to time to expire. Well he wasn’t dead when I walked up on him awhile later and came back in the morning and dead elk. When I processed him I could tell that the bullet fragmented into a bunch of pieces.

I shot a mule deer with the 143 eldx a week later from 400 yards and it fragmented pretty bad. The buck died quick but I was no longer confident in the bullet for elk so I switched to the accubond with great results. My buddy had a similar experience that season with the 143eldx and his mule deer.
I shot a mule deer a few days later through both shoulders and it totally blew up the shoulder blades and exitedthe deer at 250 so I was impressed with there performance on the deer I will admit but yeah similar thing you had going but I definatly didn't hit the shoulder on the elk. justs seems like one of those hunting mysteries to me yet