Judge my 6.5cm performance on bull elk

Blaw

WKR
100% brakes are great target shooting, or if your set up. but I find if you end up stalking through the woods at some point. The last thing you want to do is have to throw in ear protection before you take a shot and an animal slipping through the trees...it just seems like its one more thing to do when you don't have a lot of time to get setup.

like you enjoy light recoiling rifles...to be honest I cant tell a big diff between 308 and 6.5. That being said I am going to toss my 6.5 creed into a KRG bravo, little more weight might nock recoil down even a bit more without using a brake.

brsnow

WKR
100% brakes are great target shooting, or if your set up. but I find if you end up stalking through the woods at some point. The last thing you want to do is have to throw in ear protection before you take a shot and an animal slipping through the trees...it just seems like its one more thing to do when you don't have a lot of time to get setup.

like you enjoy light recoiling rifles...to be honest I cant tell a big diff between 308 and 6.5. That being said I am going to toss my 6.5 creed into a KRG bravo, little more weight might nock recoil down even a bit more without using a brake.
You need ear protection with or without a brake.

brsnow

WKR
I don't while hunting but do while target shooting. I would imagine most are like this.

in a perfect world I would always have hearing protection in, but its not perfect :)
No doubt, pointing out you are damaging your ears with or without a brake. I just keep ear buds around my neck and put them on prior to shooting, if I don’t have time, it probably wasn’t a great shot to take to begin with.

PredatorX

WKR
Such an odd statement. But I never worry about putting ear protection in while hunting. Must be a new age thing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Certainly not new, but people are becoming more aware of the loss of hearing and being smarter about it.
Count me in this crowd. I used to use hearing protection only in non-hunting situations but now always have ear plugs around my neck when I'm hunting as well. Sure, there may be a situation where I don't have time to put them but most of the time I'll get them in before taking a shot. I'm tired of my ears ringing...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PredatorX

WKR
I don't disagree that it is probably the smart thing to do, however to say that if you don't have time to put them in means the shot opportunity is probably not great is what I disagree with.

brsnow

WKR
I don't disagree that it is probably the smart thing to do, however to say that if you don't have time to put them in means the shot opportunity is probably not great is what I disagree with.

Takes 2 seconds to put the ear band from my neck to my ears. Outside of an off hand shot at an alert animal, I can’t think of a shot where I wouldn’t have the time.

PredatorX

WKR
I see where you are coming from now. Being from WI I spent some time in IL as well chasing whitetals. Mainly Shawnee in the mid 90's. Mostly quick offhand shots is what I am basing my opinions on. Thanks for the reminder to try and protect my ears though.