Judging a Black bear

AndySee

FNG
I'm by no means and expert. The outfitter I've used in the past always suggests picturing a 50 gallon drum. If the bear fits in the drum it's small. If there is no way it will fit, it's a big one. He also said, you'll look at it and immediately know if it will fit or not. If you are questioning it, it is smaller than you think. Judging a bear is difficult but that exercise helped me with both bear trips I've been on. Good luck and send pictures regardless of the size.
This seems like a good way to get a rough estimate. Is anyone using their reticle to accurately measure their target?

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
This seems like a good way to get a rough estimate. Is anyone using their reticle to accurately measure their target?

Have not though of doing this. I am blessed enough to have a range that I can set up a drum at 800 and make a note of mils or whatever reticle I'm using at different ranges.

OP
Ntuttle15

Ntuttle15

Lil-Rokslider
Well guys, I have an update from my 2020 hunt that all began with this post on that first bear I saw. Unfortunately I never harvested that big boar, and returned back for two years and never saw him again.
But I did end up harvesting an old sow. They guessed her to be over 20. Well I finally got the aging from IDFG today, 24 years old!
Pretty incredible a critter like that can live so long in the country they she was in.
And a side not to this, this year I shot a three legged boar.
It's amazing the things you will see and find when you spend time in the wild!
328af3629241fcc36165f89bd327bdd1.jpg
6f549d0802c46d6a118567a01ac0a733.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Rogue Bay

WKR
That’s incredible! My oldest bear was a 17 year old boar that scored 20 8/16 and had a huge body. I killed a really nice ~350ish boar a couple years before that and he scored 19 even but tooth data said he was only 3 years old. My taxidermist killed a 28 year old sow years ago and while I didn’t personally see it he said she didn’t have that much tooth wear. Roosiebull hit the nail on the head.

Great bear man! Congrats!

Its amazing the difference between bears with age/score/weight. The bear in my avatar was 422lbs with a 20 8/16 skull and aged 8 years.