Judging speed goats..

Whats yall thought on this one. I know hes not a record setter but is he still a good goat? I drew a rifle tag for this unit but only have a day or two to hunt it.

Attachments

• 20190809_141930.jpg
    20190809_141930.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 20190809_141947.jpg
    20190809_141947.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 158
I am by no means an expert, but id say he needs another year or two. Easiest giveaway to me would be how close his ears are to his cutters. The lack of mass and hooks also are gonna lead me to that same conclusion.
All that being said...a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. It's a shooter buck in many eyes and im sure you will absolutely love the meat if youve never eaten pronghorn.
Since youre showing pics im assuming you have a tag coming up... good luck, take lots of pics, and enjoy every moment.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
Mid sixties my guess. Depends what you are looking for. If he is a good one in your eyes or is above average in your area, then shoot him. They are cool animals and make nice mounts. Great tablefare too!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
It's totally depends on the state and area you're hunting I would shoot that goat with my Nebraska Muzzy Tag this year but wouldn't in Colorado or Wyoming. As stated he's a mid 60's goat lacking mass probably because of age , but they taste really good right up there with elk IMO and if it makes you happy get him and don't think twice about it.

Trial153

WKR
He is lacking in all three areas, low prongs are going to hurt his mediocre mass, the almost straight up horns tend to be short. The only thing he he has is decent prongs, but like I said they are barely at the ear tips so what you gain from the prongs you loose in the mass measurement above it.

Trr15

WKR
He’s not a trophy but he’ll taste delicious. If you don’t live in antelope country, none of your house guests are likely to have any idea that he’s not a trophy if you decide to get a shoulder mount done and he’ll look cool as hell hanging on your wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HuntInWild88
Thanks guys. I was thinking the samenthing. I think hes an average goat for this area. Im in Idaho and drew 46 rifle tag. Ive seen several around his size and only maybe 1 or two that were obviously bigger in the two years i have lived here. I guess ita going to depend on how many days im going to actuly get to hunt and if I see anything larger while scouting.
Im not the kind of person to shoot and animal that still needs a few years just to fill tag or to have a set of horns on the wall. So we will see.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Travis Bertrand I'm pretty sure has an article on judging goats in the articles somewhere.

We're recording a podcast on it tomorrow

OP
HuntInWild88
Travis Bertrand I'm pretty sure has an article on judging goats in the articles somewhere.

We're recording a podcast on it tomorrow
Its a great article I have read it. Just wanted confirmation on whether I was doing it right!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
If he's the biggest in the area you're hunting and he makes you happy shoot him. In the area I have a tag this year he's a shooter. I believe he scores about 70 he really lacks mass which makes them look really tall.

OP
HuntInWild88
He is the biggest I've gotten a good look at. He would make me happy. Hes pretty unique. Heres a closer photo. Looks like he is starting to split again? Screenshot_20190825-205641_Gallery.jpg

toasty

FNG
He has long horns. I think he will be about 15" long with that broad sweeping curl. He won't score well because he lacks mass and average prongs at best. He will be about 75 inch buck.

JAS04

FNG
My thoughts are look over a bunch of animals and get an understanding of what you should expect to be an average buck and good buck for the unit. Set your expectations and kill what suites you.

270quest

WKR
46 has some 80” antelope but it also has hundreds of thousands of desolate desert acres for them to hide in....I have scoured it a bit with my supertag this year. It’s one of the better units in Idaho. Don’t waste that tag on a 70” goat - you beat 3% draw odds to get it.

Rich M

WKR
The OP posted a pretty buck - he looks nice and symmetrical, not insanely large or small. If it rings your bell, shoot him.

OP
HuntInWild88
46 has some 80” antelope but it also has hundreds of thousands of desolate desert acres for them to hide in....I have scoured it a bit with my supertag this year. It’s one of the better units in Idaho. Don’t waste that tag on a 70” goat - you beat 3% draw odds to get it.
I know it has great goats but like tou said thousands of acres with no roads and i dont have an ATV, I have jeep. I hate using my tag on a small buck but I also only have maybe 5 days to hunts and not much scouting time.