July Aug system help

Pgohil

WKR
Spending a week in central Montana scouting end of July to 1st week of August. I need some recommendations for a sleeping system. I'm sure nighttime temperatures may dip down into the 40s. I get really cold easily. My zero degree UGQ quilt and neorest pad is going to be way too warm. I'm trying to find a balance between packability and comfort here. But I'm not sure what to expect weather-wise or how I should prepare. I welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks

PGohil
WV

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I carry a 20deg quilt, if you sleep cold that is a good compromise. What elevation you gonna be kicking around at?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FreeBeer

FNG
I run a 15 degree bag with a liner. If it’s hot I just unzip the bag and but leave the liner in and sleep in it. Works for me. Not the most weight friendly system but it works for me and I don’t have to find space to store yet another bag in my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
The system you have will not be too warm, especially if you get cold really easily. You can always kick a leg out or partially uncover with a quilt. Unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new bag, you don't need one. I use my 0 degree quilt all spring, summer, and fall here in MT.

What are you bringing for clothing?

I always have a puffy jacket regardless of location or time of year. You can get away with a significantly lighter sleep system if you incorporate the puffy with it.

Or just run your heavy bag open!

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Last year in Idaho temps were in the upper 30s at night. Which are a lot warmer than I anticipated and I was constantly fighting hot and cold with my zero degree quilt. I for sure will have my puffy with me and I've been thinking about a 40° quilt would be perfect for summer. But maybe a 20 would be a little better.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
So if you were fighting cold in the upper 30s with your 0 degree quilt last year, what makes you think you won't be doing the same in the 40s? It will cool down significantly over the course of the night, so the comfort level you go to bed with may not be the comfort level you wake up with.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
So if you were fighting cold in the upper 30s with your 0 degree quilt last year, what makes you think you won't be doing the same in the 40s? It will cool down significantly over the course of the night, so the comfort level you go to bed with may not be the comfort level you wake up with.

I suppose I didn't explain it properly. I meant that I would get hot in my 0° quilt and kick it off of me and then be cold because I had nothing on but my merino base layers.

Hope that makes a little better sense. Sorry for the confusion.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I understand what you're saying, and honestly, I havent found a good solution for that, especially in the summer and early fall. Sun stays out so late that its usually still warm when going to bed, and cools significantly over night. I camped in the Breaks last weekend and went to bed with nothing covering me, then at some point in the night pulled my quilt over me and woke up comfortable.