July Caribou, North Slope/Haul Road

Has anyone hunted Caribou off the Haul road this early?

I'm planning to drive up from Anchorage the second week of July and do about 5 days. I know its terrible timing, but this is going to be my only opportunity for Caribou this year due to the Military.

I assume they're either super far North, or they're really spread out and haven't really started herding yet. Does anyone have any advice on increasing the chances of at least seeing something? I was looking at possibly putting in off the highway on a river and drifting in. I've got a light Alpackaraft I could bring, but I don't even know if it'd be worth the trouble.

This is ultimately my only chance for leave this year, I'm trying to make the most of it and hopefully get on something. It's been a terribly dry hunting season for me this year, and I'm trying to turn it all around.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

-- Edit, Looking at Units 23-26. Sorry, Should of clarified

Last edited:
I've killed several up there in July. Bring a bug net, sun tan lotion and plenty of ice to keep meat cool. Is the season open this year in July? It hasn't been for a couple years and I haven't seen the new regulations posted online yet.

OP
K
It was open July last season units 23-26, July 1st and some areas July 15. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they won't change it

Caribou, from the Haul Road within the Dalton Hwy Corridor, was not open last season (July of 2019), it opened August 1st the past two seasons (2018 & 2019).

Unless you are wanting to hunt Unit 24A within the Haul Rd, in July, that was open July 1st but good luck finding anything.

Ok...My 2 cents here...Unit 26 is going to be about your bets bet...Unit 23 will be a waste of time because except for resident you the herd is still over the Brooks Range loving life in unit 26..

Soft Horn..Keep in mind you will be dealing with horns that are soft and not dripping velvet...SOFT HORN..Meat spoilage will be a real problem...Good luck

Walt

The 20-21 regs for 26B DHCMA specify 1 July start for residents and 1 August for nonresidents with a limit of 4bulls res and 1 bull nonres.

Troutnut

FNG
I think I hunted it in July once several years ago, and I saw almost no caribou. Visibility was really poor due to fires, though. In general it's not the best time to go, but luck can always put you over the top. Of course, check the current regs... I'm not up to date on them.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I saw someone with a nice caribou driving down the Haul Road on July 15th.